U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 AM

508 posts, read 1,316,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover17 View Post
Where I live in California it's extremely crowded, noisy, crime-filled, and expensive, not to mention hot (it was 96* in the SHADE the other day). In fact, I can't afford to live here anymore. Unless one makes a killing working for some big company, it's pretty much impossible to survive here (unless, of course, you don't mind being in debt). At heart I'm a country gal and think it's time to leave.
For what you described and of the places I have been, I would say some place in the upper South close to the Apps. Parts of western and central VA are beautiful. Western N Carolina too. Some parts around Central TN are nice as well but hotter. You will get more heat/humidity by moving there but with that comes some $$ savings and good year round recreation opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:11 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
Maybe the Ozarks or Southern Appalachia would be your best bet.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,406,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Maybe the Ozarks or Southern Appalachia would be your best bet.
Bingo! That is really two very good choices. The op doesn't really want humidity in summer. Well there is towns in western NC that are elevation of 3000+ feet making it very comfortable in the summer. I'd check out Virgina, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Arkansas, Missouri.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:48 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
The thing I will caution against the Ozarks is that they get significantly more snow and ice than Southern Appalachia since most of the Ozarks are geographically in the Midwest. However, Western North Carolina is relatively snow-free and it's very cool in the summer, much cooler than the Ozarks due to its higher level of elevation. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 PM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I suggest the mountains of NC, specifically around Asheville, NC, only 11 inches of snow a year, generally humble, nice folk, BEAUTIFUL scenery, all-around good place
You're kidding, right? Asheville...humble?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 PM

29 posts, read 191,065 times
Colorado Springs actually gets a relatively low amount of snowfall as it's sheltered from the west by Pikes Peak and to the north by Monument Pass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or