U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After finishing college, did you....?
Stay in your college city/town/metropolitan for even longer. 7 23.33%
Move out of the city/town you went to college in, but stay in your college state. 6 20.00%
Move back to your hometown/homestate....back to be by family and the land you loved. 2 6.67%
Move somewhere entirely different to start anew. 12 40.00%
1/2/3. I went to college in my homestate and remained. 2 6.67%
Other. 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:10 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,050,128 times

Advertisements

It's a common phrase that college is "the best four years of your life". So I thought it would be interesting to do a poll to see if people tend to stick around to relive the glory for even longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 AM

23,094 posts, read 35,044,432 times
No, I didn't; I went to school in FL (Rollins) and had a job waiting in DC when I got out. The people that did stay were kind of sad to me...Newsweek actually did a cover story about the college gradutes that would do this, dubbing the phenomenon "Doonesbury Syndrome" after the comic strip.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,503,116 times
I'm currently in college, but it's far from what I call "the best four years of your life." In the state school I currently attend, the only ones who are really living the best years of their lives are the ones who are either hardcore partiers and drinkers who couldn't give a rat's ***** about their academics, those who are spoiled by their parents with money and a guarantee job after graduation by their daddy's friend, or are those who just do their damnest to recreate (the immaturity and drama of) high school. I know that there are some colleges that at least have a suitable amount of people who care about their education, befriend those who are academically ambitious, and who are plain down to earth, genuine, and friendly beyond their freshmen year, but that was a school I attended that was out-of-state (but was too expensive for me to stay in ). As for staying in the nearby city and state after graduation, regardless of the "vast job opportunities" which in reality, only hire those who have a crapload of experience and vast connections for just an entry internship, I plan to leave this area in the day that I graduate!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,997,191 times
Even though I loved the town I went to college in and still love it and visit often, I left pretty quickly, came back for a while and then left again. I wouldn't mind living there still but the job opps are limited.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,651,790 times
I stayed in town for another year after I finished college, but I went to college in Boston so it was a very easy and tempting thing to do. After that, I moved back to my "hometown" of Northern Virginia (just outside DC). After many years in the DC area I started moving and have been moving ever since.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,159,395 times
I grew up in Virginia, went to college in Virginia, and then decided I had enough of Virginia. I moved to New Jersey for grad school and stuck around.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 AM

30,205 posts, read 67,351,355 times
I grew up in the South 'burbs of Scranton, Pennsylvania, where I currently reside while attending King's College in nearby Wilkes-Barre, PA for my undergraduate Accounting degree. I am still considering attending the University of Scranton for graduate school, after which I will 100% most certainly raise my family in Scranton pending three factors:
  1. Civil Rights: I believe in 2009 Pennsylvania voters will be deciding on a measure to permanently ban both same-sex marriages and same-sex civil unions in our Commonwealth. While I can withstand never being able to be married because the rest of the nation thinks I'm worthless, I could NOT tolerate telling people I live in a socially-regressive state that also thinks we are unworthy of civil unions. If this amendment is approved next year, then I'm relocating to a more socially liberal nearby state.
  2. Housing Affordability: While Scranton has a very affordable housing stock, it is also one of the nation's hottest real estate markets for home price appreciation because we are continuing to push upwards; we were never part of the "bubble." I worry that the $150,000 home with Victorian charm I may wish to purchase now will be $200,000 or $250,000 when I finish graduate school and am preparing to settle down. My parents' own home only appreciated $100,000 in the past twelve years, but appreciation has been picking up steam here recently as more move to our area from NY and NJ.
  3. Job Availability: Currently I am becoming depressed because there are such limited opportunities in Northeastern Pennsylvania for accounting interns. Thankfully Prudential Financial has a very strong presence in Scranton, and I'm considering a career with them; however, I'm considering obtaining my CPA and MBA with a concentration in Accounting so I can be a CPA, not a financial adviser or consultant. Hopefully Wall Street West brings more white-collar opportunity here soon.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
I came to San Diego to go to college from the Bay Area and stayed after I graduated b/c I loved it here so much and still do. Many people I know from college chose to stay as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,740,473 times
I went to school in Denver. I graduated in May 2007 with my marketing degree. After graduation, I was offered a job here so I stayed. Unfortunately, there are relatively few marketing jobs here, and there is major competition for open positions, so I will likely be moving in the near future (I am already looking for jobs in other cities).

I love it here, but I'm ready to move on and experience new things. One of the major reasons that many college students stay in the same city after graduation is related to job prospects. It is generally easier to find a job in the city you went to school in than in another city, especially when you have little experience on your resume.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 AM

845 posts, read 2,481,393 times
I grew up in Florida and went to college in Florida. By the time I graduated I was ready to get out of the state and headed to the promise land of Georgia. After living 2 years in Atlanta I left to go out west, but I might return in the future. I sure do miss chicken and waffles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.