U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
As long as I've lived, I've never understood why it was "Keep Austin Wierd". I don't know what makes it wierd either. Maybe it has something to do with the bats that fly around under some of the bridges... I don't know.
I see bats all the time up here, too. I therefore nominate a "Keep Warrenville Weird" bumper sticker to be added to the list. LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM

108 posts, read 164,339 times
Quote:
As long as I've lived, I've never understood why it was "Keep Austin Wierd". I don't know what makes it wierd either. Maybe it has something to do with the bats that fly around under some of the bridges... I don't know.
Three years later, if you've yet to figure this out. Historically, Austin's liberalness (influenced by UT student culture) has been considered weird because it's at odds with the traditional conservatism of most other Texas cities. So to "Keep Austin Weird" is merely a desire to retain that identity.
On a similar note, in recent years Austin's slogan has been adopted and revised by a few disappointed San Antonians to be "Keep San Antonio Lame".

Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 PM

780 posts, read 1,204,363 times
Keep New York...Please

Old 05-27-2011, 05:58 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,612,674 times
Keep it classy San Diego...

That was from Ron Burgundy in Anchorman, right?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:15 AM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Keep New York...Please
Thank you.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 AM

56,583 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Keep New York...Please
What does that mean? Just wondering..... For my area, something like "Keep it 'Cuse" would cool.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,164,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The point of the campaign is to keep it weird, like keep it local. Saying something like "support local Austin business" is not going to print on t-shirts or be as memorable as "Keep Austin Weird." The fact that this thread exists is proof that their marketing plan is successful. It is not about making cities such as Austin or Louisville more unique than other cities; it is about supporting local businesses and preventing those local businesses from being crushed by the chains. It is about maintaining the local flavors that make places such as Austin and Louisville what they are.
This is still the best post in the thread - Keep Austin Weird is just a catchy way to say "Keep Austin Local."

Old 05-29-2011, 12:44 AM

7,183 posts, read 16,268,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
This is still the best post in the thread - Keep Austin Weird is just a catchy way to say "Keep Austin Local."
Exactly. Why do people get so upset about the "weird" part? It's not really trying to say anything about Austin vs. other cities, but everyone seems to take it that way. It was really never meant for anyone outside the city, anyway... people just kind of started bringing it back with them.

I mean, Chicago is the "Windy City"... how stupid is that?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:44 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,991,294 times
Keep Tampa Sexy... because of our strip clubs, lol

Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 PM

2,970 posts, read 4,343,026 times
Quote:
Some of you might know about Austin's slogan "Keep Austin Wierd". Some people in San Antonio have a slogan for their city. It's, "Keep San Antonio Beautiful".

I've got my own "Keep it" slogan for mine and the other Texas cities...
  • Houston- "Keep Houston Screwed up" (because of Swishahouse)
  • Dallas- "Keep Dallas Busy" (because of all the businesses there growing there)
  • Fort Worth- "Keep Fort Worth Western" (because it's a very laid back, western city)
  • El Paso- "Keep El Paso Dry" (.... guess)

What would your town's "Keep it" slogan be?
I thought it was "Keep Dallas Pretentious"
30 Thousand Dollar Millionaire - The lifesyle you can wear! (http://www.30kdm.com/index.cfm?page=productdetails&stylecode=10003 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or