U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:20 PM

11,182 posts, read 22,403,520 times

Advertisements

Chicago has more trees than people give it credit for. The mayor has gone nuts planting hundreds of thousands of trees the past 20 years.

from my collection i've gotten over the years from skyscraperpage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,583,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas has the Great Trinity Forest (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/html/great_trinity_forest.html - broken link)
If you want a great Trinity Forest, try Shasta-Trinity Forest.

Then again, it's not in a city.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,979,221 times
I think we can add Boston to the list:

Old 06-28-2008, 03:56 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,201,041 times
Central Park in Manhattan and Atlanta.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,534,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I think we can add Boston to the list:
Is that on the Cambridge side? I never saw that many trees when I lived in Boston proper. They had all been replaced by cobblestone.

In any case I would say Seattle, Atlanta and Houston.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,207,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Is that on the Cambridge side? I never saw that many trees when I lived in Boston proper. They had all been replaced by cobblestone.
The first pic is taken from a ways a way, and appears to be from the south. Maybe Blue Hills? The 2nd one is from downtown looking towards Cambridge. That area of trees on the left is the common, with the state house in the middle. I guess Veresau would know better than I.

here are some more Boston:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/James-Lemass/Public-Gardens-in-the-Fall-Boston-MA-Photographic-Print-C12140559.jpeg (broken link)

Those first 2 pics where from the Middlesex Fells, a 2000+ acre reservation about 6 miles from downtown. It's a great place. I couldn't find any great pics of the fells though. Those pictures are from the fells but looking out on the city.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:35 PM

7,325 posts, read 15,377,978 times
Portland, OR. From the wiki:
Quote:
Forest Park is a municipal and public park in the Tualatin Mountains (West Hills) west of downtown Portland, Oregon. It is the largest urban forest reserve in the United States.[2] The park covers more than 5,100 acres (21 km˛)[2] of mostly second-growth forest with a few patches of old growth and is threaded by more than 70 miles (110 km) of recreational trails. Forest Park stretches for more than 8 miles (13 km) on hillsides overlooking the Willamette River.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,253,455 times
If you're talking about large cities, as others have said, Atlanta probably ranks up there at the top still. I know at one point many years ago it was in one of the major newspapers and Atlanta was ranked # 1 back then (based on city proper limits). 25 years ago or so, Atlanta's informal and not often used in advertising nickname was, "City in a Forest", by the way.

As far as the suburbs go, you have to realize that our more recent (and more accurate) nickname is "L.A. of the East" for a variety of reasons... smog days, traffic congestion, Botox injections, and - VERY cookie-cutter and sprawled out suburbs filled with strip centers, concrete, and roads, roads, roads. If you based it on the suburbs, Atlanta isn't much better than a lot of other larger cities in regards to trees, but the city proper is still heavily "treed" even today.

You can see a lot more of the city now on TV as it's becoming more popular on various shows. HGTV's "House Hunters" does a lot here now, and "Deserving Design" is also filmed here, as well as "Designed to Sell" now having a design team in Atlanta - all of which briefly show Atlanta neighborhoods and the trees when talking about the homes. The Bravo channel has started filming season 3 of, "The Housewives of....", with this season being Atlanta - so you'll get to see their fancy homes surrounded by trees, as well as their Botox and fake boobs, too. LOL.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-28-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 04:52 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,705,854 times
Milwuakee comes to mind, most of their lakefront is a forest preserve

Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,979,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
The first pic is taken from a ways a way, and appears to be from the south. Maybe Blue Hills? The 2nd one is from downtown looking towards Cambridge. That area of trees on the left is the common, with the state house in the middle. I guess Veresau would know better than I.
Yep, that's right. And Middlesex Fells looks like a cool area, I'll have to check it out sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or