U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,098,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Kansas City is holding it's own, from what I can see. The two auto factories are building, or are in the process of retooling to build, more fuel efficient cars. Which is opposed to the places where factories are being shut down. Sprint's a bit shaky, with a difficult road ahead, I'll admit.
Some conventions have abandoned KC, but more businesses and organizations are looking at having them in KC, thanks to the location of the Power & Light district, and a possibility of another major downtown hotel, among other things.
I've seen some retail suffer a little, but nothing major... not yet, anyway.
On a scale of 1-10, I'll give it a 7-7 1/2. Maybe an 8.
It's not that good. I live here. People that are looking for work aside from the health care industry, have a very tough time finding anything. I rarely see Help Wanted signs in stores and restaurants when I am out and about. And the Help Wanted section of the Kansas City Star it all but non existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 05:39 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,004,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It's not that good. I live here. People that are looking for work aside from the health care industry, have a very tough time finding anything. I rarely see Help Wanted signs in stores and restaurants when I am out and about. And the Help Wanted section of the Kansas City Star it all but non existent.
I live there also and it is exactly as the other person said. Every post I see from you is completely negative about KC when it just isn't true. There also might be some company from Canada doing something up by the Airport. It reportedly would bring about 5000 jobs plus all the jobs that would be put in place around this company.

Id try to find the article but I saw it in the Platte County free paper that comes around every week.

KC is doing just fine.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I live there also and it is exactly as the other person said. Every post I see from you is completely negative about KC when it just isn't true. There also might be some company from Canada doing something up by the Airport. It reportedly would bring about 5000 jobs plus all the jobs that would be put in place around this company.

Id try to find the article but I saw it in the Platte County free paper that comes around every week.

KC is doing just fine.
Not quite true. Bombardier, if they choose to build at KCI, will result in the creation of around 2,100 jobs. And those are still several years away.

www.kansascity.com | 06/12/2008 | Kansas City Council approves incentives for proposed Bombardier Aerospace plant (broken link)

Granted, the KC area is not seeing that many mass job cuts right now but it is not seeing any real job creation either. One example: A guy I know now working in Insurance needed a full year to find a job here.

I should also add that the company I work for has seen a steady decline in revenue over the last year due to a diminishing demand for its services. I've noted the number of employees contracted by the company I work for has dropped by nearly 50%. And my own personal paycheck has dropped by about 30% over the last year due to a loss of work.

I'd hardly call that a sign of a good economy.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,004,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Not quite true. Bombardier, if they choose to build at KCI, will result in the creation of around 2,100 jobs. And those are still several years away.

www.kansascity.com | 06/12/2008 | Kansas City Council approves incentives for proposed Bombardier Aerospace plant (broken link)

Granted, the KC area is not seeing that many mass job cuts right now but it is not seeing any real job creation either. One example: A guy I know now working in Insurance needed a full year to find a job here.
A guy I knew took 2 weeks to get a job at Hallmark. Enough with the guy I know examples, they don't mean anything. For all we know there could be a s--t ton of reasons it took him a year, possibly all due to his lack of eye contact or speaking ability. The 5,000 jobs was with all the other opportunites this would create around the area. I got the numbers wrong. Pay attention though, there is a LOT going on in KC in a very very good way, especially up North.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 AM

You're right. Don't let the facts get in the way of emotions.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:54 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,344,770 times
Why isn't Boston on the list? You people and your cities.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
A guy I knew took 2 weeks to get a job at Hallmark. Enough with the guy I know examples, they don't mean anything. For all we know there could be a s--t ton of reasons it took him a year, possibly all due to his lack of eye contact or speaking ability. The 5,000 jobs was with all the other opportunites this would create around the area. I got the numbers wrong. Pay attention though, there is a LOT going on in KC in a very very good way, especially up North.
It took him a year to find a job because there ain't no work here. BTW. He's now the Company President.

Yes, there are pockets of jobs in a couple of growth areas as you mention but that does not mean the over all health of the economy is favorable. Ten years ago the KC Start had around 28 pages of Help Wanted ad's in the Classified section. These days? Perhaps 10 pages of Help Wanted ad's.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
Please, take this bickerfest about Kansas City onto your own sub-forum! I've been involved in legendary multi-page squabbles about Scranton as well, but we generally try to keep them on our own sub-forum so as not to clutter the general forum.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Please, take this bickerfest about Kansas City onto your own sub-forum! I've been involved in legendary multi-page squabbles about Scranton as well, but we generally try to keep them on our own sub-forum so as not to clutter the general forum.
I'm stating facts. I believe the Moderator will decide whether or not specific message content it suitable for posting.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,710,476 times
I here by dub this Forum War 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or