U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Building???
Chicago Spire 104 44.83%
Freedom Tower 116 50.00%
Neither 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 PM

187 posts, read 477,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Skyscrapers are great and all, but I far prefer mountains. Skyscrapers are dreamt, built, and occupied by men, while mountains have a unique sense of undiscovered country about them. Also, skyscrapers are cold, unfriendly, and claustrophobic. Skyscrapers symbolize the epitome of collectivism, mountains typically symbolize just the opposite (in the sense of mountain climbing, one man's achievments against nature). Just my opinion, I wouldn't recommend anybody take it too seriously.

But anyways, back to the topic at hand, I far prefer the Freedom tower, as other posters have alluded to, the Chicago Spire is...very phallic.
Very phallic? Why does that make you and other people so unconfortable? I realize the U.S. is the most puritanical country in the world but, give me a break it's the 21st century. God forbid you go to a nude beach in Europe. "OH MY GOD! THE NAKED BODY SCARES ME!", is what you'd say. PLEASE GIMME A BREAK! Sex is no different than going to the bathroom or eating, so get over it! It's a natural bodily function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 PM

304 posts, read 829,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
lol....getting jealous because most of the exciting supertalls are all in NY & Chicago, huh? Someone should go out and convince people that LA is a real city so skyscrapers should be built there
where was L.A mentioned ? i was defending vegas lol... guess u have it on your mind alot

understandable since its an entertainment powerhouse

Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 PM

50 posts, read 128,679 times
Living in chicago, I wish we had the freedom tower built here, but my vote still goes for the Spire because there are going to be some nice penthouses there, and hopefully it will create an inspiration for other architects to build bigger, and better to cover up that monstrosity that will probably be my home anyway.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:14 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,460,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Very phallic? Why does that make you and other people so unconfortable? I realize the U.S. is the most puritanical country in the world but, give me a break it's the 21st century. God forbid you go to a nude beach in Europe. "OH MY GOD! THE NAKED BODY SCARES ME!", is what you'd say. PLEASE GIMME A BREAK! Sex is no different than going to the bathroom or eating, so get over it! It's a natural bodily function.

if your so comfortable with it, why dont you go to work naked tomorrow and urinate in public in front of a elementary school, its just a human body....right, and if sex is no different than going to the bathroom or eating then would you pass your wife around to everyone on this forum then, you get the point.

believe me I would love to have naked chicks all around me but Im just making a point and I know its tough for yall in Chicago to live in the shadow of LA but you should get over it by now.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 PM

50 posts, read 128,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
if your so comfortable with it, why dont you go to work naked tomorrow and urinate in public in front of a elementary school, its just a human body....right, and if sex is no different than going to the bathroom or eating then would you pass your wife around to everyone on this forum then, you get the point.

believe me I would love to have naked chicks all around me but Im just making a point and I know its tough for yall in Chicago to live in the shadow of LA but you should get over it by now.
It would be illegal to be nude or defocate in public, you are comparing apples to oranges, but the human body is art, no matter how you look at it. It shows childishness if you can't grasp the concept that the human body and its functions are part of nature.

And Chicago may be smaller than LA but we will always beat you with our skyline and ultra-diverse economy.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,460,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR1837 View Post
It would be illegal to be nude or defocate in public, you are comparing apples to oranges, but the human body is art, no matter how you look at it. It shows childishness if you can't grasp the concept that the human body and its functions are part of nature.

And Chicago may be smaller than LA but we will always beat you with our skyline and ultra-diverse economy.

Im not even from L.A. and almost every city beats our skyline.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,485,276 times
Quote:
Okay...I really didn't want to get into to this, but a building that resembles a giant penis is not my idea of high art (or architecture). It's not that I'm against sexuality (it doesn't make me uncomfortable at all), and I don't feel that the designers of the Chicago Spire meant for it to be sexual in any way, but the end result is somewhat phallic, and that's not a trait I look for in architecture. I'm sorry if my own personal aesthetic preferences clash with your own, but it's just an opinion.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Okay...I really didn't want to get into to this, but a building that resembles a giant penis is not my idea of high art (or architecture). It's not that I'm against sexuality (it doesn't make me uncomfortable at all), and I don't feel that the designers of the Chicago Spire meant for it to be sexual in any way, but the end result is somewhat phallic, and that's not a trait I look for in architecture. I'm sorry if my own personal aesthetic preferences clash with your own, but it's just an opinion.
Fair enough.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

That's funny I always heard we were in the shadow of NYC, that's why Chicago is called the "Second City" to NYC. CHI has nothing in common with L.A.. Here in civilization east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon Line, L.A. never crosses anyones mind. We're an urban, cosmopolitan, sophisticated people. L.A. IS A GROUP OF FRUITS AND NUTS AND MISFITS!

And for the record, everyone in America outside of NYC and CHI is living in our shadow. You know it, and I know it!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,326,863 times
Quote:
That's funny I always heard we were in the shadow of NYC, that's why Chicago is called the "Second City" to NYC. CHI has nothing in common with L.A.. Here in civilization east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon Line, L.A. never crosses anyones mind. We're an urban, cosmopolitan, sophisticated people. L.A. IS A GROUP OF FRUITS AND NUTS AND MISFITS!

And for the record, everyone in America outside of NYC and CHI is living in our shadow. You know it, and I know it!
oh, be quiet. Bringing up the M/D line is retarded, especially since it hasn't meant anything since 1808, but its now 2008, get with the times buddy. you're way off topic though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or