U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Building???
Chicago Spire 104 44.83%
Freedom Tower 116 50.00%
Neither 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 PM

50 posts, read 128,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Okay...I really didn't want to get into to this, but a building that resembles a giant penis is not my idea of high art (or architecture). It's not that I'm against sexuality (it doesn't make me uncomfortable at all), and I don't feel that the designers of the Chicago Spire meant for it to be sexual in any way, but the end result is somewhat phallic, and that's not a trait I look for in architecture. I'm sorry if my own personal aesthetic preferences clash with your own, but it's just an opinion.
That is a very interesting point, I now see where you're coming from. I think that is a great point, it has little to do with the fact that it is a phallic symbol. It's the fact that a phallic symbol isn't what it is meant to represent. But as far as aesthetics go, some people don't like it and that's fine, but that is what chicago architecture is about, variety and breaking the mold that NYC created for the skyscraper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 PM

19 posts, read 17,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
That's funny I always heard we were in the shadow of NYC, that's why Chicago is called the "Second City" to NYC. CHI has nothing in common with L.A.. Here in civilization east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon Line, L.A. never crosses anyones mind. We're an urban, cosmopolitan, sophisticated people. L.A. IS A GROUP OF FRUITS AND NUTS AND MISFITS!

And for the record, everyone in America outside of NYC and CHI is living in our shadow. You know it, and I know it!

lol.L.A group o ruits and nuts.!!!hilarious.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM

284 posts, read 631,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
That's funny I always heard we were in the shadow of NYC, that's why Chicago is called the "Second City" to NYC. CHI has nothing in common with L.A.. Here in civilization east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon Line, L.A. never crosses anyones mind. We're an urban, cosmopolitan, sophisticated people. L.A. IS A GROUP OF FRUITS AND NUTS AND MISFITS!

And for the record, everyone in America outside of NYC and CHI is living in our shadow. You know it, and I know it!
May i ask what shadow LA put on Chicago, are downtown is way bigger i think it is impossible to overshadow something that is bigger than U

Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 AM

6 posts, read 26,147 times
Freedom.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
i like the spire just a little bit better because its a little different but i like freem=dom tower too

Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 PM

75 posts, read 169,059 times
Freedom Tower. I much prefer traditional skyscraper designs to these hideous and ridiculous designs. I think the Spire will tarnish Chicago's skyline..

Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 AM

147 posts, read 339,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Freedom Tower. I much prefer traditional skyscraper designs to these hideous and ridiculous designs. I think the Spire will tarnish Chicago's skyline..
I totally agree! But then again, I have never, EVER, been one of those people that found Chicago's skyline to have dominance over NYC's. Never in a million years!! IMO, to think otherwise is totally ignorant, and to just go with the general, and "totally unbaised" C-D crowd. Sure, we can talk about how "even" and "balanced" Chicago's skyline is all the live long day folks, but when it comes down to it, at one point in time, NYC's was far less "crowded" and "balanced". Why isn't it today? Well for one thing, the main cluster of NYC's skyscapers are located in a much smaller area than Chicago's, and, I don't know, people want to build in NYC, so with little space, but with a high demand, it becomes very hard to accomodate an "even" skyline. Not to mention, Manhatten is one of the most sought after places to live in the nation. I'm sorry, but when I see new condo developments in Phoenix, going for the exact same price that I see going in Chicago's prime" real estate, it makes me wonder, A LOT!

Driving into NYC, and seeing that huge skyline, it brings to mind so many different thoughts, and, at least for me, literally made a shiver run down my back the first time. To think that this ONE city is the definition for the greatest city in the world, is just a slighty mind boggling experience. Speak nothing of the atomic energy of the steets below! Driving into Chicago, yeah it is big and spead out. So is Houston's! What is your point? And for all the great "architecture" that Chicago boasts so much on this forum, I'm sorry, but the UGLY, and I do mean, UGLY, Sear's Tower, and Hancock building, can't hold a candle to the romance, and intrigue of NYC's old towering scturctures. Not on it's best day.

Now, what do I think of the Spire? Well, in one word, HIDEOUS! It doesn't fit, it doesn't make sense, and just looks incredibly out of place. I am really sad that when it is completed, it will be the tallest structure in America. WOW! Way to go! Now, is the Freedom Tower, in my opinion that great! Well......it certainly has my vote long before the Spire. Besides, the Freedom means something deep and personal, not only to the people of NYC, but to everyone of us that turned on our TVs that fateful Tuesday morning, and witnessed evil, and a war cry against Freedom. Looking at the pics of the FT, yes IMHO, it is abstract. But you know what, it also reminds me that although those sadistic killers tried to break us, and create an era of fear within our country, they couldn't!! By building th FT, we are telling the present day world, and maybe more importantly, the future generations of our country, that on that day, we wouldn't be taken, and we wouldn't be mocked. Sure we took a beating, and the pain lingers in us. But we are American's, and we will not be held down under a grip of terror and fear. We will stand against oppression, and anarchy, and more importantly, we will have Freedom. That is what that area represents, and is a memorial to all the brave men and women who died that day, trying to do the exact opposite of what the TV as witnessing to us.

When I look at the cork screw looking over frozen Lake Michigan, I don't get anything like that. In fact, it makes me think how arrogant Chicago is for wanting to keep the grand title of the city that invented the skyscaper. Yeah, reaaaaaal classy!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,545,662 times
Personally, I like the Spire, I just think it is in the wrong spot. They should have put it further north on the lake.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:30 PM

0 posts, read 1,352,680 times
Chicago Spire is now "on hold" and will most likely be canceled.

Looks like the Freedom Tower (I hate that stupid name, btw) will be the tallest tower in the United States.

Tallest buildings in the United States will be, as follows..

1. Freedom Tower - New York City
2. Sears Tower - Chicago
3. 200 Greenwich Street (World Trade Center Complex) - New York City
4. 175 Greenwich Street (World Trade Center Complex) - New York City
5. Empire State Building - New York City
6. Bank of America Tower - New York City
7. Aon Center - Chicago
8. Hancock Center - Chicago
9. Chrysler Building - New York City
10. New York Times Building - New York City.

Last edited by Americanboy; 11-25-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,220,867 times
i love ny b/c its my home. but i thing both towers kick ass.

its like chicago had thwe towers.....but were are the *******s & scummy models?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or