U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Building???
Chicago Spire 104 44.83%
Freedom Tower 116 50.00%
Neither 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:38 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,329,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Looks like the Freedom Tower (I hate that stupid name, btw) will be the tallest tower in the United States.
It's official Name is 1 WTC, Freedom tower is just a nickname
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 PM

656 posts, read 1,465,350 times
I don't mean to be perverted but The Spire looks like something I saw in a sex shop.

vote = Freedom Tower

Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 AM

656 posts, read 1,465,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
...Now, what do I think of the Spire? Well, in one word, HIDEOUS! It doesn't fit, it doesn't make sense, and just looks incredibly out of place. I am really sad that when it is completed, it will be the tallest structure in America. WOW! Way to go! Now, is the Freedom Tower, in my opinion that great! Well......it certainly has my vote long before the Spire. Besides, the Freedom means something deep and personal, not only to the people of NYC, but to everyone of us that turned on our TVs that fateful Tuesday morning, and witnessed evil, and a war cry against Freedom. Looking at the pics of the FT, yes IMHO, it is abstract. But you know what, it also reminds me that although those sadistic killers tried to break us, and create an era of fear within our country, they couldn't!! By building th FT, we are telling the present day world, and maybe more importantly, the future generations of our country, that on that day, we wouldn't be taken, and we wouldn't be mocked. Sure we took a beating, and the pain lingers in us. But we are American's, and we will not be held down under a grip of terror and fear. We will stand against oppression, and anarchy, and more importantly, we will have Freedom. That is what that area represents, and is a memorial to all the brave men and women who died that day, trying to do the exact opposite of what the TV as witnessing to us.

When I look at the cork screw looking over frozen Lake Michigan, I don't get anything like that. In fact, it makes me think how arrogant Chicago is for wanting to keep the grand title of the city that invented the skyscaper. Yeah, reaaaaaal classy!
Exactly, it's SO OBVIOUS that the only reason Chicago would build that ugly piece of garbage is to keep the Title of world's largest building. I know I'm probably going to get the usual "New Yorkers are arrogant" attack statements but even you Chicagoans know deep down inside that thing is HORRIBLE. For the record, not that I'm saying the Freedom Tower is the most beautiful (my favorite will always be the empire state building and crysler building) but it is the true definition of edgy (not ugly) and the meaning alone makes it more relevant than that eye soar you call The Spire.

PS: Before I even read the comments I posted my feelings and after I realized that most people agreed. It looks like a *****.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,307,913 times
Is the Spire even being built anymore? Isn't it still a hole in the ground?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 AM

0 posts, read 1,352,882 times
The Spire is canceled, or "delayed". The bloodbath of the recession has yet to begun and I don't think we'll see a Chicago Spire ever IMO.

The World Trade Tower/Freedom Tower is already financed by the Port Authority of NY so it will be built.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:34 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
The Spire is canceled, or "delayed". The bloodbath of the recession has yet to begun and I don't think we'll see a Chicago Spire ever IMO.

The World Trade Tower/Freedom Tower is already financed by the Port Authority of NY so it will be built.

Freedom Tower/WTC 1 is about three levels above street now. The thing has two poured concrete cores, so it's taking FOREVER to rise. WTC 3 and WTC 4 are still several floors below street level and WTC 2 is still a "bath tub"

Progress photo of WTC 1, 1/25/09 courtesy of GreenwichBoy on wirednewyork
WTC Tower One (a.k.a. Freedom Tower) - Page 370 - Wired New York Forum

Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Chicago Spire is now "on hold" and will most likely be canceled.

Looks like the Freedom Tower (I hate that stupid name, btw) will be the tallest tower in the United States.

Tallest buildings in the United States will be, as follows..

1. Freedom Tower - New York City
2. Sears Tower - Chicago
3. 200 Greenwich Street (World Trade Center Complex) - New York City
4. 175 Greenwich Street (World Trade Center Complex) - New York City
5. Empire State Building - New York City
6. Bank of America Tower - New York City
7. Aon Center - Chicago
8. Hancock Center - Chicago
9. Chrysler Building - New York City
10. New York Times Building - New York City.
Actually you forgot Trump is in spot #3. Spire would be #1, and Waterview (near Trump in Chicago, up to 26th floor currently) would be #10, although they're on hold at the moment.

Any news how this financial crap is effecting 200 and 175 Greenwich? That's rough that all those awesome towers in NYC are finally getting going after 7 years right when the bottom is dropping out of the economy.

I know 200 Greenwich is still just approved, and hasn't started any ground work. 175 Greenwich has just begun site prep work. I'm assuming you're a little NYC biased since you left off one completed Chicago building, aren't paying attention to another that has its foundation finished, another that is up to the 26th floor, yet include two NYC buildings that haven't even begun. Obviously no one knows how long it's going to take to figure everything out given the economy though...

Last edited by Chicago60614; 01-26-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Any news how this financial crap is effecting 200 and 175 Greenwich? That's rough that all those awesome towers in NYC are finally getting going after 7 years right when the bottom is dropping out of the economy.
Yeah 200 and 175 (WTC 2 and WTC 3) are delayed yet again. These were the two buildings to be leased to the private sector (WTC 1 and WTC 4 are being leased mostly by the Port Authority and govt agencies).

WTC 4 (150 Greenwich) is under construction and making progress. Again, construction is going at a snail's pace. Recent photo here: (Wired New York Forum - View Single Post - 150 Greenwich St - Maki WTC Tower), again courtesy of GreenwichBoy on wirednewyork.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Actually, I passed ground zero about 2 months ago, then just recently as last week as I'm hardly ever downtown. It's made a lot of progress in those months. I guess once they get the foundation all done, it's pretty fast from there. AND they've been working in the 8 degree weather we had last week.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 26,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Exactly, it's SO OBVIOUS that the only reason Chicago would build that ugly piece of garbage is to keep the Title of world's largest building. I know I'm probably going to get the usual "New Yorkers are arrogant" attack statements but even you Chicagoans know deep down inside that thing is HORRIBLE. For the record, not that I'm saying the Freedom Tower is the most beautiful (my favorite will always be the empire state building and crysler building) but it is the true definition of edgy (not ugly) and the meaning alone makes it more relevant than that eye soar you call The Spire.

PS: Before I even read the comments I posted my feelings and after I realized that most people agreed. It looks like a *****.

Bravo!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or