U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Building???
Chicago Spire 104 44.83%
Freedom Tower 116 50.00%
Neither 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,067 times

Advertisements

Well, New York's diversity isn't too great, look at this

Mid town, seems to have tons of brown buildings, and all that I recognize is the Empire State Building, and I think thats the Chrysler Building in the Background but it doesn't look like it.

Here's downtown

errrrrr................

Finally, Chicago
http://www.internetretailer.com/IRCE2008/images/Venue/McCormickPlace_Skyline.jpg (broken link)
Sears Tower, John Hancock Tower are both world famous, AON Tower, and 900 Michigan tower are pretty well known, Plus Trump's Tower, The Chicago Spire, and Waldorf=Astoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:29 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,397,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
All experts?

Please tell who all the "experts" are and where the they all unanimously agreed that Chicago's skyline is superior. Go around it all you want but fact remains New York is the King of the skyline and I'm pretty sure an overwhelming number of people agree New York has the best skyline.

When people think of New York, one of the first things that comes to mind is the amazing skyline.
It's not even one of the things I think of when I hear the name New York. Food, sports and general urbanism come to mind though.

You are criticizing for Gtownoe making a statement that isn't proven and you go and do it yourself.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well, New York's diversity isn't too great, look at this

Mid town, seems to have tons of brown buildings, and all that I recognize is the Empire State Building, and I think thats the Chrysler Building in the Background but it doesn't look like it.

Here's downtown

errrrrr................

Finally, Chicago
http://www.internetretailer.com/IRCE2008/images/Venue/McCormickPlace_Skyline.jpg (broken link)
Sears Tower, John Hancock Tower are both world famous, AON Tower, and 900 Michigan tower are pretty well known, Plus Trump's Tower, The Chicago Spire, and Waldorf=Astoria.
Hm...better photos are needed ASAP

Diversity, and if you think there is none, you know nothing about architecture.

(look down the street at all the buildings)

Brooklyn is actually diverse too

RFC Graphics's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

and i didn't even show Lower Manhattan. This is very off topic btw

oh and im looking forward to 1,2,3,4, and 5 WTC, the MOMA expansion, Four Seasons Hotel, Beekman tower, Goldman Sachs, etc etc etc.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Hm...better photos are needed ASAP

Diversity, and if you think there is none, you know nothing about architecture.

(look down the street at all the buildings)

Brooklyn is actually diverse too

RFC Graphics's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

and i didn't even show Lower Manhattan. This is very off topic btw

oh and im looking forward to 1,2,3,4, and 5 WTC, the MOMA expansion, Four Seasons Hotel, Beekman tower, Goldman Sachs, etc etc etc.
Hardly any, because almost all of it is Art Deco, Neo Gothic, International, or Modern, not much else

Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
^^ First off, there's no need to quote the entire post, if makes it ten times longer

Secondly, you're in high school heh. no but seriously, what does Chicago have the New York does not in its skyline?

edit: Don't Respond to this, We Are WAY off Topic, start a new Thread if you want to continue

Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 PM

162 posts, read 218,654 times
Just ignore him. He is so clueless.

I stopped reading past the part where he stated that NYC has only two distinctive buildings and is not known for skyscrapers.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 PM

Fine, you want me to name more? Woolworth, The Flatiron building, the Rockefeller Complex, Twin Towers but those are gone, then the new World Trade Center.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
Just ignore him. He is so clueless.

I stopped reading past the part where he stated that NYC has only two distinctive buildings and is not known for skyscrapers.
Exactly. While I may internally debate which skyline is more significant on an architectural level (I work with architects, this is often debated), to say that nyc is not home to many architecturally significant and beautiful buildings is just ignorance. I know that when I visit new york, I very much enjoy the architecture.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:59 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,008,268 times
We have a tie so far! Very impressive! Who will be the tie-breaker?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 PM

980 posts, read 2,908,854 times
I think it's nice to have a tie, it shows that each building is very unique to the other, I also see many Chicago people for Freedom and New Yorkers for the spire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or