U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Building???
Chicago Spire 104 44.83%
Freedom Tower 116 50.00%
Neither 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:27 PM

980 posts, read 2,908,854 times

Advertisements

Also those for neither, could you state why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 14 hours ago)

46,853 posts, read 37,020,613 times
Default It's The Spire

I'll pick the Chicago Spire, although the Freedom Tower would look good in Chicago, too.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,391,522 times
The Freedom Tower is not my favorite NYC building going up. The black steel and glass building that is either proposed or u/c is my favorite project in NYC.

NYC has some great architecture. The buildings in NYC have great detail on their outside. I just don't think there is much diversity amongst the building styles.

The Freedom Tower is a great project, I just don't think its as edgy or pushes the limits like the Spire does.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM

114 posts, read 507,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Exactly. While I may internally debate which skyline is more significant on an architectural level (I work with architects, this is often debated), to say that nyc is not home to many architecturally significant and beautiful buildings is just ignorance. I know that when I visit new york, I very much enjoy the architecture.
Oh and Chicago doesn't have any distinctive skyscrapers whatsoever. You think Chicago's architacture is bad.. Chicago will crush New City Once The Spire, Waterveiw, Aqua, Trump, and the Waldor=Astoria are finished.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:36 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niac12345 View Post
Oh and Chicago doesn't have any distinctive skyscrapers whatsoever. You think Chicago's architacture is bad.. Chicago will crush New City Once The Spire, Waterveiw, Aqua, Trump, and the Waldor=Astoria are finished.
Calm down! you're giving off the stereotypical Chicago 'tude. He's FROM Chicago. He's comparing the two cities and trying to defend NY from someone hating on it for no reason. He didn't even GIVE a mention to Chicago so how could you imply he's saying Chicago architecture is bad? Plus, You're wrong when you say Chicago will Crush NY because that's an opinion. If you were to say in my opinion..., than it'd be valid! But still you have to think that New York is also building plenty of skyscrapers so its not like New York is being put on hold and isn't building anything while Chicago goes wild

Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 PM

114 posts, read 507,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Calm down! you're giving off the stereotypical Chicago 'tude. He's FROM Chicago. He's comparing the two cities and trying to defend NY from someone hating on it for no reason. He didn't even GIVE a mention to Chicago so how could you imply he's saying Chicago architecture is bad? Plus, You're wrong when you say Chicago will Crush NY because that's an opinion. If you were to say in my opinion..., than it'd be valid! But still you have to think that New York is also building plenty of skyscrapers so its not like New York is being put on hold and isn't building anything while Chicago goes wild

sorry I'm in a bad mood.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 PM

980 posts, read 2,908,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niac12345 View Post
sorry I'm in a bad mood.
its okay

Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 PM

500 posts, read 822,233 times
I think the Spire looks ugly, then again thats what I thought when I first saw the new Soldier Field and The Bean on paper, both of which are now two of my favorite sights in the Windy City.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
I was just about to post a 'whoa bud' comment myself, but see that has already been done on my behalf

Old 06-30-2008, 08:48 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,154,995 times
I haven't voted, but I'd probably would vote for neither.

The Spire is big but it looks like a screw.

The Freedom Tower symbolizes so much but it looks like a box on top of a pedestal of fear. It's my least favorite of the WTC buildings.

Both cities have other buildings going up or on the drawing boards that appear much more appealing to me. I may say different when I see them in person, but my expectations aren't that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or