Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 PM

87 posts, read 306,365 times

Advertisements

so which state or area has to best and longest fall season? i live in nebraska and it seams like anymore we go from summer to winter and not much of a fall and the pretty leaves last about a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Try New England for unimaginable color. The foliage has to be seen to be believed. But fall is short, the best of it contained by October.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
It's definitely New England. I grew up in Maryland where it's really pretty, but lasts longer than in New England. But, New England really takes the cake. I'm on the west coast now and really miss autumn.

I'd be interested in hearing about such places outside of the US.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Definitely New England but if you want to take a day trip from Nebraska to South Dakota here's what you'll see.

Bridal Veil Falls -Spearfish Canyon

Up in the highest elevations of the Black Hills (6500+). These were taken in mid September and snow had already fallen.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Colorado isn't New England, but it's pretty nice. We always try to take a drive to the mountains to see the Aspen and the bugling elk in Rocky Mtn Nat. Park. There is an urban legend that is pretty true that it always snows on Halloween in Denver. However, it can be warm and dry for weeks afterward.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,634 times
Hello apej6.
I too have been asking this question for YEARS and years.
From what I have found it looks like Ireland has the longest Autumn/Fall season. I have been there just once, but it was for 2 months and all of it was Autumn. Yes it was September and October, but from reading-up on Ireland & "where is/has the longest Autumn season?" - Ireland seems to be it.

I have also read that many location south of the Equator have a longer Autumn/Fall season. (Because of less direct sunlight during that time of year). But I am not sure where. (Australia & New Zealand are getting quite HOT in the Summer & with longer Summers each year).

I grew up in Northern New Jersey where Autumn is fantastic, but it seems to be getting shorter. Of course it feels this way as we get older, busier, etc, but many agree with me, and as you wrote, "it seems we go from Summer right into Winter". I have noticed it more as Winter right into Summer. Just this year (2014), it snowed in the middle of April. 2 days before that it was 81' F. 3 days after the snow it was 82' F.

*As I mentioned Ireland, places with a climate that is more 'wet' seem to have a longer Autumn. Someone listed Pennsylvania as having the longest Autumn currently... but they did not list where they read this, how, who measured this, etc...

- There are some spots like The great smokey mountains near Gaitlinsburg, TN that are on some lists - stating that their odd weather there because of the mountain system keeps more Autumn 'in' longer. It does look like a nice spot.

- Just from studying pics and videos I have noticed that British Columbia, Canada has a very long Autumn. People mentioned that Vancouver does get a lot of rain, but not as much as Seattle, WA, and if you move just 20 or so miles North or East of it you get far less rain and more of the 'long Autumn' weather.

- I have always been a huge fan of the tv show "Twin Peaks" which takes place in WA state. The show starts in late February (according to the 1st ep') and goes on for months and months - The entire show seems to be 100% Autumn! (I know, TV script).

- For me it looks like:
1. Ireland (Scotland & England look great too)
2. B.C. Canada (Alberta looks great too,...)
3. WA / OR (check the rain fall 1st!) A friend of mine moved to Seattle loving the rain - then had to move back from where she came as the rain was just too much.
4. Great smokey Mt's, TN.
5. New England states.

-I have never been one for humid, sticky, far too hot (and getting Hotter!) Summer. I have a Celtic look to me if ya know what I mean. And now Winter is just getting too odd (and I am getting older!) especially lasting so long lately (with exception to 2005 when we had none) & arthritis kicking-in.
If anyone else has any good advice on where the longest amount of Autumn is please let us know.
E-

Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
There are plenty places in the Upper Midwest that are just as beautiful in Fall as NE - try the Keweenaw, Door County, Apostle Islands, MN's north shore, Kettle Morraine northern unit, Driftless, etc.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:42 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Upstate NY has nice Falls as well.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:57 PM

190 posts, read 275,928 times
I have never been to New England so I'm not sure how it compares, but the Blue Ridge Mountains are worth a mention.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
^ Very pretty. Appalacians throughout and Ozarks are also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.