U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best in terms of weather and diversity?
Houston 18 38.30%
Sacramento 16 34.04%
Rancho Cucamonga 12 25.53%
Phoenix 2 4.26%
Orlando 2 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 PM

41 posts, read 76,754 times

Advertisements

I have the choice of the listed locations for school. Which of the locations is best in terms of weather, diversity, chill people and places to go/do? I will be going for two years.

I have been leading toward Houston because I have heard nothing but good things other than humidity and mosquitos. I love cali, but have never been to nothern any info or suggestions are all welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:46 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohraa View Post
I love cali, but have never been to nothern any info or suggestions are all welcome.
Rancho Cucamonga isn't in Northern California, it is a suburb of Los Angeles in Southern California. Its far from the ocean so it gets hot in the summer but is less than an hour from ski resorts. The rest of the year it is pretty mild perfect California weather. Smog is also pretty bad in the Inland Empire (where Rancho is), often worse than Los Angeles. There isn't much distinct stuff about RC, just a typical suburb full of Spanish style homes with red tile roofs. Ontario Airport is minutes away and connects you to the major airport hubs and there is a Metrolink Station in Rancho Cucamonga that will take you directly to downtown LA. Southern California as a whole is very diverse and in the Inland Empire it is a mix of whites, blacks, and Hispanics.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:46 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,308,660 times
Quote:
I have the choice of the listed locations for school. Which of the locations is best in terms of weather, diversity, chill people and places to go/do? I will be going for two years.

I have been leading toward Houston because I have heard nothing but good things other than humidity and mosquitos. I love cali, but have never been to nothern any info or suggestions are all welcome.
For the weather Rancho Cucamonga is the warmest during winter except maybe Orlando. Though hot [90's] during summer, Rancho Cucamonga is much more pleasant than Houston/Orlando.

Diversity is California's "middle name," & chill people/places to go are probably better in California. I've lived in the Sacramento Valley. It is more rural/country w/ mainly agriculture. Summers are very hot & winters can be quite foggy but San Francisco is less than 2 hours away [also Napa Valley & Lake Tahoe/Reno.

Rancho Cucamonga is an hour east of LA & has skiing in the San Gabriel/San Bernardino mts. Also Palm Springs is fairly close by & San Diego is only an hour away.

Can't speak for Houston though I've been there [unfortunately it was during summer It has the best/largest medical center in the nation & a healthy economy compared to California [though no restrictions on air/water quality].

Phoenix is OK but unlivable during summer [also a bit isolated].

Orlando is good [great weather/beaches/close to Tampa-St Petersburg].

As far as chill people Houston is in the Biblebelt. Phoenix & Orlando are lay-back & weed is essentially legal in Arizona & California

Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,049,058 times
Phoenix, Sacramento, and RC are all a dry heat.

Houston and Orlando are humid.

But I would choose Houston. It has the most character and a more appealing vibe (to me).

Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,529,867 times
Agree entirely with what radraja said and add...

I think for the combination of weather and diversity criteria Sacramento would win.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM

935 posts, read 1,715,335 times
Sacramento. Very diverse, decent nightlife and culture. Close to everything (SF, lake tahoe, snow, mountains, lakes, ocean).

Old 06-25-2008, 07:18 PM

7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
I take it you are going to UTI? My son went to UTI in Rancho and liked it, plus it's in a new, bigger location. I've heard that UTI in Phoenix is pretty much a concrete shed which overheats badly.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,059,580 times
Phoenix and Orlando are WAAAAAYYYY overrated. I don't know anything about Rancho Cucamonga. So I picked Houston because I think it is more diverse and more cultural than Sacramento. The population is so large that there must be a wide variety of things to do. Weather is bearable since air conditioning is a must in pretty much every building, so unless you plan on living outdoors, the only time you'll have to deal with the heat is going between your car and buildings.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:12 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,175,496 times
Quote:
I have the choice of the listed locations for school. Which of the locations is best in terms of weather, diversity, chill people and places to go/do?
Houston is going to be tops as far as diversity and things to do. If you can handle a few months during the summer of heat/humidity, the rest of the year has beautiful weather.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,079,587 times
I thought this was an interesting mix of cities you have to decide from. I am most familar with Rancho Cucamonga (my parents currently live there and are happy and content living there). I would say Rancho Cucamonga is the most suburban of all the cities among you've listed, but at the same time, it is a suburb of Los Angeles. It has been a while since I've been to Sacramento, Houston, Orlando, or Phoenix. I would vote for Rancho Cucamonga (RC). Weatherwise, RC can get hot and dry, but no where as bad as Phoenix and not humid like Houston or Orlando. The climate is sunny. RC is mainly white and Latino, with some Asians and blacks. The city is not distinct (but fairly new with fairly low crime rate), very suburban with newer tract homes and apartments, Big Box stores for shopping like Target, Costco, etc, and an outdoor shopping area called the Victoria Gardens. There are some nice restaurants in RC, though largely chain restaurants. You are close the mountains. RC is about an hour's drive to the beach or Los Angeles, if you want more urban activities. Palm Springs is about an hour and half away and San Diego is about 2 hours away. In terms of diversity, RC is located in Southern California which I would say the more diverse than the other cities and metro areas you've listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.