U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:54 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,396,157 times

Advertisements

If what I got from this is correct then I shouldn't say Chicago or Park Ridge.

Other than that South Haven Michigan gets my vote any day of the week. It's a small touristy city on Lake Michigan in the southwest part of the state. It has a nice harbor, lighthouse, the downtown looks really nice. Amazing city overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 AM

583 posts, read 1,139,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
America: What city do you adore the most in terms of overall most pleasant climate, pedestrian friendliness, natural setting, close access to the ocean and mountains, good job oportunities, low cost of living, diverse population, ratio of sunny to cloudy or rainy days, decent public transportation, friendly people, activities and festivals, reasonably low traffic, proximity to other great towns and cities, etc.?
I adore quite a few cities, but the city with all the above listed characteristics simply doesn't exist (unless it's a dream).

All the cities listed by the posters lack quite a few of the criteria that you listed people should consider. A place with great high paying jobs, beautiful natural setting, close to mountains and ocean, great climate, urban amenities and affordable housing would be extremely desirable for everyone, so it probably won't be able to stay affordable, traffic free and have laid back nice people. High paying job market draws in people and increases prices on housing and puts pressure to expand the urban sprawl, traffic in great job market metro areas is pretty bad.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
America: What city do you adore the most in terms of overall most pleasant climate, pedestrian friendliness, natural setting, close access to the ocean and mountains, good job oportunities, low cost of living, diverse population, ratio of sunny to cloudy or rainy days, decent public transportation, friendly people, activities and festivals, reasonably low traffic, proximity to other great towns and cities, etc.?
So if the city isnt close to the ocean or mountains, I cant post it? My most adored town is nowhere near either.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
So if the city isnt close to the ocean or mountains, I cant post it? My most adored town is nowhere near either.
I think it can have any quality that you like to make it "your" favorite city!

Mine would be Savannah, St. Augustine and Charleston But then I pretty much like any city I visit for different reasons!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 PM

692 posts, read 2,419,982 times
In no particular order and obviously not meeting the OP criteria.
Here are some cities that may be overlooked that put a smile on my face.
( of course some of the cities are over 30 years removed from my eyes )
Grand Junction CO, Madison WI, Iowa City, Big Sur CA, Portland OR,
St Louis MO, Clearwater FL, Virgina City NV.

I would love to experience such cities as Louisville KY, San Marcos TX,
and perhaps New England in the future.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:27 PM

41 posts, read 66,255 times
I might be in the minority, but I really enjoy Dallas, TX.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 PM

23,055 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavoyfan View Post
I might be in the minority, but I really enjoy Dallas, TX.
No, you're in the silent majority about this...I love Dallas, Houston and (my hometown) Atlanta. However, the miserable, self-loathing rustbelters on this forum work overtime (since they're otherwise unemployed due to abysmal economic conditions in their own hometowns) to convey the very false impression that these are the three most reviled cities in the US.
So, say it loud, say it proud.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times
I think Bethlehem, Pennsylvania is a very underrated city. Since I know you all hate seeing my photos, I'll just share a FEW with you to prove my point before you all start whining again.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,287,210 times
I really like Denver and it would be a place I would consider living if I were to leave CA. Denver has just a little snow, but not too much, is close to the ski resorts, has a good economy, nice outdoor activities, etc..

Old 06-27-2008, 04:44 AM

23,055 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I think Bethlehem, Pennsylvania is a very underrated city. Since I know you all hate seeing my photos, I'll just share a FEW with you to prove my point before you all start whining again.
Nonsense; you've moved mountains on this forum with your photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.