U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, you're in the silent majority about this...I love Dallas, Houston and (my hometown) Atlanta. However, the miserable, self-loathing rustbelters on this forum work overtime (since they're otherwise unemployed due to abysmal economic conditions in their own hometowns) to convey the very false impression that these are the three most reviled cities in the US.
So, say it loud, say it proud.
Speaking of miserable, self-loathing people. Its people like you who make statements like that, that bring down the fire. Keep talking....

There are MANY rustbelt cities that are doing well, many are turning around. Some small towns have fallen through the cracks, but I can drive down south and find the same thing, all over the place. If you want to compare, say, Atlanta or Dallas to Chicago, Im up for the challenge. Are you? Youll be getting the Standing 8 count before you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
AHHHHH!!! Not another "Chicago vs. EVERYONE" war! We all know how that went with Omaha.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 AM

595 posts, read 2,532,405 times
I like Newport, Oregon and Holland, Michigan. They are both great cities.

Oh yeah, and Ludington, Michigan, too!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Speaking of miserable, self-loathing people. Its people like you who make statements like that, that bring down the fire. Keep talking....

There are MANY rustbelt cities that are doing well, many are turning around. Some small towns have fallen through the cracks, but I can drive down south and find the same thing, all over the place. If you want to compare, say, Atlanta or Dallas to Chicago, Im up for the challenge. Are you? Youll be getting the Standing 8 count before you know it.
When did I say anything about any rust belt cities?...I have no problem with them at all. What I was addressing was the people on this forum that have made a cottage industry out of trashing the three 'Stars of the Sunbelt'...an inordinate # of them seem to come from the rust belt region.
Chicago is a great town...I've said so ad infinitum in this forum.
So you can stop foaming at the mouth now...

Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When did I say anything about any rust belt cities?...I have no problem with them at all. What I was addressing was the people on this forum that have made a cottage industry out of trashing the three 'Stars of the Sunbelt'...an inordinate # of them seem to come from the rust belt region.
Chicago is a great town...I've said so ad infinitum in this forum.
So you can stop foaming at the mouth now...
You said they are "miserable, self-loathing and unemployed", etc. Would you like me to say something like "yeah, Texans are miserable, toothless, pickup driving, inbred rednecks who work at cattle farms"? Didnt think so. So while Chicago is not a rust-belt city, its close to several, and those rustbelters that you make fun of are my neighbors, and I pity them for their current situations and will stand up for them. So please, consider the situation theyre in and pray that one day you dont end up like many of them.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,093,051 times
Quote:
So please, consider the situation theyre in and pray that one day you dont end up like many of them.
OK, the 'unemployed' remark was uncalled for, and I regret it. But that's all I'll concede.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM

343 posts, read 846,828 times
San Francisco. Besides the high cost of living, SF does everything better.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,402,886 times
Quote:
You said they are "miserable, self-loathing and unemployed", etc. Would you like me to say something like "yeah, Texans are miserable, toothless, pickup driving, inbred rednecks who work at cattle farms"? Didnt think so. So while Chicago is not a rust-belt city, its close to several, and those rustbelters that you make fun of are my neighbors, and I pity them for their current situations and will stand up for them. So please, consider the situation theyre in and pray that one day you dont end up like many of them.
I thought the Rust Belt included Chicago and Milwaukee. Especially since Gary and most if not all of the LP is considered part of the Rust Belt.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,378,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
San Francisco. Besides the high cost of living, SF does everything better.
DITTO! Love S.F!!

Also adding (some cities, some just big towns, really):
Burlington, Vermont - Appleton, Wisconsin - Naples, Florida - Doylestown, Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (still love Philly despite it's many problems) - Charlottesville, Virginia - Rome, Italy...oops! Ignore that one.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I thought the Rust Belt included Chicago and Milwaukee. Especially since Gary and most if not all of the LP is considered part of the Rust Belt.
Not so much Chicago. Chicago did have many factories close down in the 70s/80s, but there has been a resurgence in job growth in other sectors, often placing Chicago at the top of the list when it comes to jobs. In fact, Chicago has the most diverse economy in the states, the most corporate relocation/expansion projects, and is constantly evolving to keep with the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.