U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,522 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Pennsylvania but seeking an urban, integrated, and supportive artistic community within which to flourish. A place that is bohemian and possibly not yet discovered, or is poised to become an area like the artistic community Taos first was before being discovered (without the high price tag yet). Looking for a warmer climate but get the impression that Austin is just too hot and over-saturated with musicians. Something not sprawled out like LA or too expensive like LA and NY. A place where pay is commensurate with talent. A city where you can still walk and ride a bike to get around. Where you can get a nice house for 250k. A city that is cultured, friendly, and forward thinking. In my research I have come across Albuquerque, NM, Austin, TX (as mentioned above), Santa Fe (seems expensive), Flagstaff, AZ (ditto), Charlotte, NC, Nashville, TN, and Asheville, NC (appears to be more of a retirement community). A university town would be preferable. Is there any place that has a European flavor and style? I am a pianist and composer who can virtually play any kind of music and reads - very versatile! I am single and in my 40's. ANY suggestions would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,358 times
Default Albuquerque

Hi, I came across you question regarding a artistic, affordable place you can relocate to, and see that one of the places you are considering is Albuquerque. I am also in my forties, and live in Abq. I have been here now for over twenty years and can tell you, ( as you may know already)- it is nothing like Taos, both in terms of size ,or in the landscape, or feel of people or in lifestyle. Taos has grown in recent years, as every place in the US has, but still remains a uniquely artistic uncalve of folks. As for ABQ, you will be able to find a place in the 250 range- probabaly more readily on the west side, across the Rio Grande River. There are many stikingly beautiful new homes being built on the west mesa and they are selling for very reasonable prices. even though the housing market is on a down ward swing around the country, it appears to me to be fairly vibraint and fliurishing here., and as i say, b/c of the prices and eminties offered on the west side--- you can afford to find a good deal. here in the duke cite, there is a very happening art pulse, offering all kinds of music, shows & performances of all calibers, along with traveling art tours. All of which i take advantage of. Here is the deal with ABQ. although it does not have the qaiunt and unique visual charm of either, SF, or Taos. But, it truely is a hidden secrcet in that right here -there is access to many arts, from the Musems of London, and many other world class veiwings come here to ABQ.

The climate is very favorable, not too hot, nor too much snow, as there is in other parts of NM, both southern mountain towns, and northern towns such as taos, or SF. Do not get me wrong, I love both Sf and taos, but they are not afforable as ABQis , nor do they have the advantages of the things a big city has to offer. Abq population with surrounding areas is now I think around 800, 000 people. But abq itself is smaller. So- it is not a secret, in that it is too big for that. another nice feature is that of cultural diversity. There is a melting pot of Hispainics, Anglo, Native Americans , but little Afican American population. Like every where ---there exist both pros and cons of this. On the downside, there are a pretty big population of gangs that moved here in the eightys from LA. also from south america ( I think ) and other places too. I see some of this, but am made aware of it from the news. There are segments of crystal meth being made & sold in ABq, and also I hear about home invasions in the news as well. I guess most cities of any significant size share this kind of unfortanete activity.
All that said, i love this state and it has a unusal vibrant art life, cultural activites, and darn good weather. One really dioe have it all here, along with a mix of unwanted elements. i am willing to over look those for all the postive that it does have to offfer.

OH and there are bike trails glalore, walkng paths around town and qiute literally hundreds of miles of them all along the irrigation ditches all lined by massive cotton wood tress and lush green farms here in the river valley area where i live andd call my home. Yes, indeed, it is green bulit all tucked away in this land of deserts. I love the fact I can live in town, and have peacocks, hawks, snakes, shunks, landing in my yard, go a few yards along my road, and off z go down to the river to walk along the Bosque ( spainsh word for forest) or hop on my bike and do the same!

I hope this helps you a little in your search-- good luck!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 PM

Location: Hitler City, North Carolina If they hadn't changed their name to Charlotte they'd be sunk
22 posts, read 44,037 times
I would advise against Charlotte. The music scene here is dispicable. I have a friend who is your age who has played with people who have played with famous people. He lives in Charlotte now and is miserable. Asheville has a much better scene. I would also suggest New Orleans. Felt quite European to me.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 AM

598 posts, read 2,037,602 times
Atlanta, but not exactly the boho feel you're looking for.

Anybody know if Charlottesville/Richmond VA has a good scene?

Last edited by summergal; 07-12-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Athens, GA....great music scene! Good luck to you

Old 07-12-2008, 03:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,053,442 times
Asheville has lots of college students...I'd say that it's a fairly young city.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:32 PM

598 posts, read 2,037,602 times
I don't think Asheville is retirement'ville. From what I've seen and heard (haven't been there yet-but will hopefully in the fall to check it out), the scene is good enough that you could play every night of the week if you wanted. There are street musicians and the level of talent is really good. On fridays there is a drum circle in the park. Of course this is mostly hearsay, as I've not seen it yet.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:25 PM

9,866 posts, read 21,161,251 times
Nashville

Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 AM

167 posts, read 457,967 times
With NY and LA eliminated, first I thought San Francisco, but there's no way in hell you're gonna get a house for 250k there--not even in the immediate area. How about Seattle's immediate area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or