U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,504,338 times

Advertisements

With all things being said, thanks for all of the responses so far. I know what I don't want to deal with, which is the "real"-yet-pretentious, social-yet-anal, liberal-yet-prejudice, and transient-yet-cliquish Northeast and and parts of Los Angeles. But as for the lesser of evils, can anyone from places like Minneapolis and Seattle affirm that transients will have a hard time meeting new people, and is the move to these otherwise very progressive and laid-back cities worth the risk?

And for those who live in LA, I've been talking to some people, and they actually say cities and towns that are outside Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the OC, the LA area has some very laid back, non-judgmental people. Is this the case, or is all of the LA area more like how it depicts itself on TV.

And if anyone else can name more cities that fit the description, I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 PM

253 posts, read 1,505,654 times
Minneapolis is hard to crack into social circles unless you have an "in". I knew a few transplants from college to there that had hard time making friends.
I have a lot of buddies from the KC-Lawrence area move to Seattle and didn't have a hard time fitting in, but they're musician artist types, those cliques kind of play by different rules.
With that said, I recommend Kansas City...pretty unprenentious.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,457,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
And for those who live in LA, I've been talking to some people, and they actually say cities and towns that are outside Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the OC, the LA area has some very laid back, non-judgmental people. Is this the case, or is all of the LA area more like how it depicts itself on TV.
I don't live in L.A., but I've visited and have friends there, and I'd say that assertion is correct. There are plenty of laid-back, down-to-earth, friendly people in L.A. It gets a bad rap because of the movie industry, but there are regular joes there going to work every day and living their lives, just like you'd find in any other city.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:26 PM

905 posts, read 2,583,568 times
Chicago. I think this city may arguably be the best spot in the country for educated but not-snobby twentysomethings. Sure, there's some snobs and Type As, and I'd guess it's not relaxed in comparison to, like, Nashville or something, but I'm a big-city guy and if you want to live in a real big city you gotta put up with some of that. All that said, compared the Northeast, Chicago is quite relaxed and it manages to be both a world-class city and down-to-earth.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM

355 posts, read 1,257,464 times
Hey dont knowck Boston!!! I only say that because it is my dream city. I would also think Boston would be the nice city with introverted people rather than a snooty place. That being said, I second Austin and Knoxville, though I do hear Austin is becoming quite a snooty place with lots of competition for jobs for the UT grads. No city is perfect and you may just have to check it out. No city can ever be properly represented by the views of the 5 regulars on each city's forum. Good luck!!! : ) : )

Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,987,626 times
Wow, you sure are picky huh.. hahah
hard to find the "perfect place" now in days..
Albuquerque works for me..it probably would for you too.
Considering i was in a situation just like you are.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 PM

107 posts, read 383,121 times
Eh...people are people. There are stuck up people everywhere. Even in Kansas City, believe it or not.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:07 PM

18 posts, read 20,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
With all things being said, thanks for all of the responses so far. I know what I don't want to deal with, which is the "real"-yet-pretentious, social-yet-anal, liberal-yet-prejudice, and transient-yet-cliquish Northeast and and parts of Los Angeles. But as for the lesser of evils, can anyone from places like Minneapolis and Seattle affirm that transients will have a hard time meeting new people, and is the move to these otherwise very progressive and laid-back cities worth the risk?

And if anyone else can name more cities that fit the description, I'd really appreciate it.
I know exactly what you mean, and location DOES matter, a lot. What you get in life is a function of where you live, to a large extent. American culture is going down the tubes and I think a lot of people are asking themselves where they can go to live an acceptable life.

You will make a lot of guy friends in Seattle, but that is all. With transplants only of course, the natives are pathetic.

Sacramento isn't a transient city, and the only transients that exist are the god-awful-ugly people of the SF bay. Every time I have to travel to SF I am shocked how the average person on the street looks like a Chernobyl mutant.

In all of California except SF, LA, and SD I would say that "life ends after high school". OC might be alright.

Seattle = ****.
Portland = ****.
San Francisco = triple **** hell turds. I would literally rather live in any city but SF. Detroit would be better.
LA = possibilities, but challenging
SD = might be promising
Scottsdale = might be promising
Vegas = no opinion
Denver = I am wary of this. Just a bad feeling. Seems like a white trash / ghetto place. I also notice people at ski reports are major *******s, even though I am a huge partaker in the sport.
Austin = Everyone raves about it but I got a very bad vibe during my visit there.
Houston = giant ghetto
Dallas = might be promising
New Orleans = might be promising
Atlanta = might be promising
Miami = might be promising
Nashville = from what I read, this is probably the best place in the country
Raleigh, Charlotte = I don't even know where those are
New York = ****
Minneapolis = good place to grow up but don't move there
Chicago = might be promising

That's pretty much all the US cities.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:15 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,429,763 times
^well aren't you a ray of sunshine. Thankfully, he asked his question 7 years ago.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:39 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,949,299 times
Regardless of where you are: The reality of this is that unless you're in a small town, most strangers will NOT try to befriend you unless they feel that they can somehow gain from you either monetarily or sexually. Or unless they're forced to by being your co-worker.

Yeah, if your in the waiting room at the Doctor's or in line at the supermarket; some [mainly old ppl] may make a little small talk with you but that's it.

Sadly, life and people are a ______.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or