U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM

11,906 posts, read 32,970,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
What about Salt Lake City??
I was thinking the same thing, although I would think that SLC is too large since the OP said a city between 100,000-300,000. While SLC proper falls into that range, that's essentially just the area covered by the airport, downtown, the university, and a few residential areas like Sugarhouse, Federal Heights, and Rose Park. There are another million or so in the Salt Lake Valley.

Otherwise, SLC is surprisingly diverse politically, it's got the weather that the OP wants, SLC's airport is large, SLC has a wide array of housing options, a very good state university, and the scenery is stunning. Plus--should one think this is an issue--SLC proper is not overwhelmingly Mormon. The rest of the valley is, but the city itself isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,344,887 times
I would say Reno would fit your needs. It has a great improving downtown, a university, and is very close to wilderness. You can also make day trips to places such as San Francisco, the coast, Napa, Tahoe, Yosemite, etc.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM

343 posts, read 847,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
I've been seeing a lot of these kinds of threads lately, and I think they're pretty interesting, so I decided to start one for myself. Can anyone suggest a city that contains (most of) the following:

Western/mountainous location (I want to see large mountains on the horizon)
Cold/snowy winter and cool summer
Moderately sized 100-300,000
Moderate politics (I don't want to go too far in either direction)
A decent airport
Lots of housing to choose from, but not too suburban
A college or university in town
Close to deep wilderness (no people!)
Haha, lots of these things are mutually exclusive. If you want moderate politics, you won't get a college town. It'd be difficult to have a decent sized airport close to 'deep' wilderness. I might suggest Boulder CO, though your strange penchant for moderate politics will be violated. Other than that, I'd really say your out of luck in the west.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM

343 posts, read 847,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
Boulder, CO? It has about 100,000 people and home to the University of Colorado. I was there in January at a conference for work and it was a real cute town. Although, I think it is a bit more liberal than moderate. I remember checking out a bookstore called Left Hand Books that was filled with Left-leaning books. I remember the owner and some homeless looking hippy dude have a deep conversation about the state of the country with Bush in charge.
Ha, I've totally been to that bookstore too and seen the same dude working there. He's a crazy guy and super friendly. Speaks to Boulder's liberalism. A positive for me, but perhaps not for the original poster.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:25 AM

362 posts, read 1,634,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
Haha, lots of these things are mutually exclusive. If you want moderate politics, you won't get a college town. It'd be difficult to have a decent sized airport close to 'deep' wilderness.
What about Anchorage, AK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.