U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,793 times

Advertisements

I'm doing my internship in US from Russian Government University of Kazan, my majors are Political Science and International Relations. So I have been selected for a free ride and one month accommodation in US by embassy of Russia (they paid for visas too, i have 1 year working visa).
i already arrived to NYC and worked for embassy for about 1 month. Now i have to find the job in any city in US and live there. I don't really like NYC city was looking for another safe city to work for one year while i'm here,

cities should be in North Eastern states of US (or Northern states ).
I'm looking for safe city, where the rent is preferably low, easy to find a job, easy to commute to work (as i don't have a car), big concentration of other europeans too, should be a big city like as i want to live in the apartment (like Minneapolis or Seattle). I just don't know much about cities in US as i never been in other places than NYC !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,725,167 times
Minneapolis sounds like it is a good fit, it has a good economy and its probably easy to commute to works. They also have plenty of apartments downtown from what I've heard. Seattle may be a bit expensive but I dont know your pay and its similar to Minneapolis.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:44 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,772,069 times
Minneapolis is a nice and safe city. Very literate and educated. Public transportation is pretty good if you are within the city limits of Minneapolis. It is one of the cheaper major cities in the North, and there are a good choice of apartments. If you wanted a studio or one bedroom, you would be looking in the $500 - $800 range. Unlike Seattle, there isn't a Russian embassy here. The weather here isn't all that different from Russia. A winter here is like a winter in Moscow. The economy here is very stable and diversified. What field are you expecting to work in, if any?
Except for cities such as Washington and New York, I think you will find American cities to be alot newer (few buildings here are more than 100 years old) and more spread-out.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,260,704 times
Quote:
I'm looking for safe city,
well, Philadelphia's out

Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Wow i asked people in the Embassy and a few people who lived in states for a long time and all of them after hearing my criteria said that Minneapolis would be the best place !!! And people on the forum say the same thing, i guess i will pack to go to Seattle !

Minnehahapolitan i look for any kind of the job as i'm student and Retail construction site work or hospitality jobs would be fine !!! I really hate this hot weather in NYC i can't breathe i never experienced air so humid in my life ! Let me ask you a few questions, will it be easy for me to find an appartment as i don't have any credit and is it easier to find job than in new york ? cause about 1000 candidates here even for the dish washer job !!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Landlords anywhere will be more hesitant to give an apartment lease to you if you have no credit. You will prob. have better luck with landlords who only keep a few units as I feel they are more open to certain circumstances. Jobs are tight in most places (it is the Bush economy). If you are an enrolled student (am I right in assuming this) you can usually do a work/study program that would get you an on-campus job. Otherwise you will be in the open job market, which is harder. I honestly don't know how easy it is to find a job here right now, and I couldn't even start to compare Mpls. to other cities.
Minneapolis isn't consistently cold. It will hit the 90*F a few times per year and it can get a little humid. It won't be as bad as New York, that is one thing I can promise.
Hope this helped you get started. Best of luck.
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Oh, and to translate that to Celsius, its about 40 I think

Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 PM

You just made yourself look kinda silly. Not only could he of quickly figured what it converts to with a quick google search (rather insulting to his abilities), but the conversion is nowhere near 40*. Sorry to chew you out, but you hit a pet peeve of mine.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 PM

........................... hehe its fine

Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 PM

I don't care about Job, guess i can find in 7 days or so ! And apartment too hopefully... I have enough money for that thanks god !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.