U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, Illinois or New York
Illinois 51 31.29%
New York 112 68.71%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM

27 posts, read 73,084 times

Advertisements

If the choice were between NYC and Chicago, I'd pick Chicago. Though I do love NYC. It would be close.

If it were between the states outside of the cities, I'd pick NY. I could see living upstate NY, but not outside of Chicago. If that makes sense.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM

57 posts, read 175,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think Ithaca is hick. I went to school in Cortland, that's where I was talking about.
Cortland could be borderline hick, but it's a very small rural town. I wouldn't call it a "medium size city". The medium sized cities are Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse and they are definitely not hicks.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
Cortland could be borderline hick, but it's a very small rural town. I wouldn't call it a "medium size city". The medium sized cities are Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse and they are definitely not hicks.

To most people upstate, considering the upstate cities (not downstate), they thought it was a medium-sized city. Cortland seemed hick to me. Not everyone of course, but some things that went on and the people I met had me thinking a lot of them are. They had some tractor festival or whatever one time I was there. Talk about boring, zzzz lol.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,881,097 times
Quote:
To most people upstate, considering the upstate cities (not downstate), they thought it was a medium-sized city. Cortland seemed hick to me. Not everyone of course, but some things that went on and the people I met had me thinking a lot of them are. They had some tractor festival or whatever one time I was there. Talk about boring, zzzz lol.
The problem there was you went to Cortland.

If you want the true Upstate experience, you have to go to the Adirondaks, then travel along Lake Ontario and see all the beautiful vistas there. Next check out the vibrant arts scenes in Rochester and Buffalo. Then travel back on the truway and visit the beautiful Finger Lakes region and then Syracuse. I left out a ton of fun things in Upstate NY, but you get my point. NY beats out Illinois

Old 12-30-2008, 08:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The problem there was you went to Cortland.

If you want the true Upstate experience, you have to go to the Adirondaks, then travel along Lake Ontario and see all the beautiful vistas there. Next check out the vibrant arts scenes in Rochester and Buffalo. Then travel back on the truway and visit the beautiful Finger Lakes region and then Syracuse. I left out a ton of fun things in Upstate NY, but you get my point. NY beats out Illinois

Upstate NY really is pretty. Not somewhere where I would want to live, but it's nice to visit. I went up there very often as a teenager since I traveled all over for Ice hockey.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:43 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,060,263 times
Quote:
Yes, there are plenty of hicks in upstate NY. But people can't generalize upstate NY and downstate NY. It's a totally different culture. I went to school in a "medium sized city" in upstate NY, and it was like a small town to me. The locals were definitely hicks, despite it being called a "city" lol.
Rachael, you don't get out much, do you? To people from NYC, EVERYONE who is not from NYC is a hick!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I don't think Ithaca is hick. I went to school in Cortland, that's where I was talking about.
I thought you said you went to school in Syracuse??

Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Default count 'em up, Drover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Blah blah blah. There are way more hicks in New York than anyone seems willing to admit.
OK, let's compare, hick for hick. How many have you got in IL?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,870,160 times
I voted New York, but to clarify, I would live in NY state, but I would not want to live in NY city or the surrounding area. I would prefer anywhere in Illinois over NYC. But NY state is pretty close to the environment I live in PA.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,329,827 times
To me, New York just has a lot of Beauty, While Illinois does too but not as much. Both have incredible largest cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or