U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, Illinois or New York
Illinois 51 31.29%
New York 112 68.71%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,771,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Hyde Park (the gem of the south side) is on the south side, which tends to be largely either black or white.
Well Tex given that those white South Siders are Irish, Poles, Lithuanians, Mexicans, Chinese, Croats, Serbs, Italians and damned all else I'd say the South Side is pretty diverse.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,421,738 times
I would choose Illinois because of it's great expanses of land. I love the region along the Mississippi River in Illinois. Also for some reason I love southern Illinois by Cairo and Metropolis. Illinois is nice because you get more for your money than NY. Also Illinois has some very diverse topography compared to NY.
Yes NY may have the finger lakes and mountains etc. Illinois has the part of the Driftless area with the Palisades. Then there is the Shawnee forest with the bluffs. Also there is the beautiful miles of corn fields. Some people actually find that peaceful.

Both states are beautiful.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,288,226 times
I say we split the difference and settle on Ohio.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,461,337 times
Bottom line is that in IL you can find everything you can in NY, minus the mountains. Even then, IL has some incredible hills that would have people saying "really? Thats in IL?" Chicago offers everything NYC does, for 1/2 the price, Chicago also has hundreds of suburbs (yes, we counted them on the IL boards lol) that can suit everyone and their budgets, IL has more diverse topography, has a better location in the country than NY (IMO), etc. As much as I think NY is beautiful, I think it just makes more sense to live here. lol

Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
By the way great shots Steve!

I can always count on your photos to make me feel proud of my home state!
Thank you! Those arent even the truly scenic parts of the state, IMO. I cant wait to get my camera down to the Garden of the Gods, Apple River Canyon, Mississippi Palisades, Buffalo Rock, Alton, Fults Hill and prairie, Matthiessen State Park, Starved Rock State Park, the vineyards, etc, etc.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:55 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,674,852 times
I don't want to get into this too much. But we in Illinois are close to a state called "the land of ten thousand lakes". Minnesota has any one in New York ever hear of that? Then we are close to the state with the best cheese in the country:wisconsin. Oh and don't forget, we have a lower income tax.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,550,266 times
Without Chicago Illinios is Arkansas. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but driving thru Illinios is boring as hell. There is no comparing it to NY State. Have any of you ever driven across the GW Bridge? There are cliffs in Upper Manhattan/Bronx.

The passport statement is ridiculous. Who doesn't own a passport? NY State just has so much more to offer than Illinois. Beaches, islands, peninsulas, mountains, lakes, oceans, Niagra Falls, bays, etc...

Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Without Chicago Illinios is Arkansas. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but driving thru Illinios is boring as hell. There is no comparing it to NY State. Have any of you ever driven across the GW Bridge? There are cliffs in Upper Manhattan/Bronx.

The passport statement is ridiculous. Who doesn't own a passport? NY State just has so much more to offer than Illinois. Beaches, islands, peninsulas, mountains, lakes, oceans, Niagra Falls, bays, etc...
First off, YOU NEED TO GET OFF THE HIGHWAYS TO SEE WHAT IL HAS TO OFFER. Yes, NY has more mountains, but dont make the mistake thinking that IL is all flat. There are many hilly areas in the state. Our topography is more diverse, too. We also have beaches, sand dunes, hills, more lakes (including a lake almost the size of NY state itself), cypress swamps, sand prairies, savannahs, etc, etc.

Is IL ugly? TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT THESE:

Flickr Photo Download: Garden of The Gods sunset (http://flickr.com/photos/tkr2099/469520433/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: Starved Rock Canyon

St. Louis Canyon at Starved Rock, Sept. 08 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Photo Download: Into the Wishing Well

Flickr Photo Download: Garden of the Gods 14

Flickr Photo Download: Garden of the Gods 12

Mississippi Palisades Sunset on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Photo Download: The Illinois Great River Road, Route 84, view of the Mississippi River looking north from the Routes 52 & 64 bridge. This is a very scenic road.

Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Photo Download: 100_8312_1tjd_200821091

Prairie in winter:
Flickr Photo Download: Beside Coyote Point

As I said earlier, I know that IL doesnt have huge mountains like NY does, but please dont say IL is "ugly" until youve explored the entire state. There is a lot more here than people think. If youre interested I can post up more pics later.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,144,889 times
i was going to post some links but i see Steve-o beat me to it...

one thing that sucks about New York is how congested it is...disgusting! that goes for the northeast in general.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:17 PM

15,099 posts, read 31,458,282 times
I would choose the southern half of Illinois, far away from Chicago. I like peace and quiet, and the attitude of midwesterners tends to be a little more laid back compared to northeasterners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or