U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, Illinois or New York
Illinois 51 31.29%
New York 112 68.71%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 PM

114 posts, read 507,171 times

Advertisements

Both of these states have the largest cities but which one is better to be in?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,953,958 times
If I lived in either of them, I'd be living far from the city. Never been to NY but have been to Ill. I think NY would probably be too cold for me. I'd have to vote for the most southern part of Ill.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 PM

I also live in Illinios. But I think the south is boring. All there is Springfield which is pretty nice.. New york is pretty nice but I'm pretty they have warmer weather.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 PM

5,836 posts, read 10,789,448 times
Default difference between the two regions.

This is a great opportunity to bring up what I consider a major difference between Chicago and New York City and the dynamics between their respective greater regions.

Both cities have many places to do go and things to see and places to go within their respective states/regions. Here's I think is where the overall difference lies in my opinion:

Chicago overall tends to suck/drain the (intellectual/financial/spiritual) energy out of the midwest/Great Lakes

whereas,

New York City tends to release human energy into the northeast/east coast.

The reason for this is complicated, but heres why I think this is.

Chicago is overall vibrant, exciting and dense enough to give people lifetime of urban exploration, that wouldn't be provided by any other non-coastal city, but yet has just enough space to breath, and is cheap (relatively) enough for people to live out their lives within the city limits, and some cases keep people from even consider living anywhere else.

NYC it seems like, has absolutely everything you could possibly think of, but is so dense, so noisy, (garbage is not put in alleys, but by the sidewalk) crowded, expensive, that even people who love NYC, at least I think at some point says "the hell with it! I moving upstate, NJ, Vermont, etc."

Again this is from my limited knowledge.

The consequences of this is that people in other midwestern locales are likely to think "oh, Detroit is a pit, the suburbs while nice have a bad job market, and the rest of Michigan is "boring" so they move to Chicago. They same goes for people from Ohio, etc. This means that many places that have potential experience a "brain drain" to some extent.

While in the northeast transplanted New Yorkers it seems bring their progressive culture, creativity, and intellectual energy to the beautiful scenery to the Catskills, Vermont. New York City from what I understand has only a few beaches and a few private boat harbors, while Chicagos lakefront has many of these.

Consequence: south of New York City you have the Jersey Shore, lined with many active towns all up and down the shore. While in Chicago people have never seen the beautiful Michigan side of the lake, and now you have the Michigan tourist board with commercials with "Seriously Chicagoans, Harbor Countrys not that far! Come and spend of your tourist dollars here."

They have to advertise this as if its some undiscovered spot. Same goes from Wisconsin's driftless hill countryBaraboo hills, the closest things Chicago has to New Yorks Catskills mtns. It seems its not like this in the northeast or in California.

While the midwest does have other cities besides Chicago, most of them are kind of far and have been hit hard by deindustrialization, and the natural wonders of the midest are tucked away beyond and behind the flat cornfields (would you know Starved Rock was just a mile from I-80?). Whereas in the northeast it is a little more obvious. Also east coast cities are close to each other, so maybe New Yorkers are possibly a little more aware of Boston, Philly, etc.

So the difference is is that Chicagos hinterlands have MUCH potential, and haven't lived up to it, for a variety of reasons.
New York Cities hinterlands seem much more developed in terms of tourism.

Whether these things are good things or bad. Just my perspective.

Let me know what you think.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,215,169 times
are we talkin living in the state but not the city?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:00 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,754,637 times
Were I a farmer I'd much rather live in Illinois, no doubt about it.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
are we talkin living in the state but not the city?
State. I was just about to make a post about that.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM

251 posts, read 808,986 times
New York, i loved upstate new york it was so peaceful and pretty.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM

708 posts, read 2,410,723 times
Definitely New York.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 PM

11,883 posts, read 32,924,797 times
Upstate New York is so beautiful. Mountains, lakes, rivers. I'm sorry, but Illinois doesn't have anything in its rural areas that can possibly compare.

And as for cities, while I love Chicago, it can't hold a candle to the capital of the world, New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or