Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:29 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there are any of you out there who would like to move to another place, another job, another life but find yourself unable or unwilling to due to all the problems going on these days - housing market debacle, price of gas, the war, etc etc etc.

As for me, I've really been thinking I have to hunker down and ride this out, no matter how much it hurts going through it. Are you staying put? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 07:27 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
If I were looking to move, none of that would stop me. A situation came up recently where we would have moved far, far away. We declined for other reasons, not because of the current economic climate.
The gas prices are keeping us a bit more grounded on the weekends, though.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
I haven't changed any of the things that I have planned for the next few years. My job is quite stable so I see no reason to change anything. The high price of gas would impact me the most, but it's not something I'm worried about now.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I would love nothing more than to move to the West Coast. However, the cost of living is way too high out there and I'd never survive without a huge income.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
Actually we are in the process of a relo for my husbands job. Ga to Va.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
No matter where I moved, I would live close to my job. Moving to that McMansion in Vista Hills Gated Subdivision 40 miles from your job is not a good investment right now. In fact, buying homes in general isn't a good idea right now. Not just because of the housing market, but because of job security.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:36 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I'm wondering if there are any of you out there who would like to move to another place, another job, another life but find yourself unable or unwilling to due to all the problems going on these days - housing market debacle, price of gas, the war, etc etc etc.

As for me, I've really been thinking I have to hunker down and ride this out, no matter how much it hurts going through it. Are you staying put? Thoughts?
The only reason why I'm staying put right now is because I don't have enough money saved up to move... and the only reason that is is because I used all my savings this year to get out of debt.. but hey, I'm debt free now.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Well, the current recession and housing market doesn't effect my decision not to move yet. It's simply a lack of money. Relocation is very expensive.

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia and moved to Atlanta when I was 18, back in 1984. I'm pretty burned out with Atlanta now and actually wouldn't mind moving back "home" to West Virginia (Charleston or Huntington), but have been putting it off until I have enough money saved up to comfortably do it. I've known a lot of people who have relocated and in every case they have told me about all the little extra expenses that come up along the way - it's ALWAYS much more expensive than you ever predict it will be.

So, economy as it is now or not, I'm staying put until I'm prepared.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
The economy situation didn't affect me too much, since I HAVE to move for grad school anyway.

But it can have an affect on some people. For those people, feeling stuck may not be an enjoyable feeling, but it actually may be for the better in the long run. Society today troubles me...the second someone is unhappy, they pick up and move expecting happiness to fall into their laps somewhere else. But it doesn't work that way. Those people are still unhappy after they move, so they do it again and again.

I think people should learn to be happy where they are before they try to move. Because, let me tell you, a new location does not have the ability to instantly make a person happy. Just my two cents.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
The economy situation didn't affect me too much, since I HAVE to move for grad school anyway.

But it can have an affect on some people. For those people, feeling stuck may not be an enjoyable feeling, but it actually may be for the better in the long run. Society today troubles me...the second someone is unhappy, they pick up and move expecting happiness to fall into their laps somewhere else. But it doesn't work that way. Those people are still unhappy after they move, so they do it again and again.

I think people should learn to be happy where they are before they try to move. Because, let me tell you, a new location does not have the ability to instantly make a person happy. Just my two cents.

This is what I call an awesome post! Makes so much sense!

As far as not moving due to the economy. Well, I kinda want to move but I don't mind it here. I think it's more about being able to get out and see the world. etc. I'm staying put because of the economy. The job I work does have facilities across the U.S, which is nice if I could afford to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.