U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST U.S. CITY TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY?
New York City 35 20.83%
LOS ANGELOS 23 13.69%
CHICAGO 39 23.21%
HOUSTON 27 16.07%
BOSTON 28 16.67%
DALLAS 13 7.74%
MIAMI 9 5.36%
WASHINGTON DC 22 13.10%
SAN FRANCISCO 36 21.43%
SEATTLE 34 20.24%
PHILADELPHIA 16 9.52%
DENVER 22 13.10%
AUSTIN 17 10.12%
PORTLAND, OR 20 11.90%
SAN DIEGO 22 13.10%
PITTSBURGH 10 5.95%
ATLANTA 11 6.55%
SAN ANTONIO 7 4.17%
MINNEAPOLIS 13 7.74%
HARTFORD 4 2.38%
PHOENIX 7 4.17%
INDIANAPOLIS 12 7.14%
KANASAS CITY, MO 7 4.17%
CHARLOTTE 10 5.95%
TAMPA 5 2.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:11 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times

Advertisements

This board is starting to become a joke thanks to all the Spam being left from the Omaha people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 AM

Actually it is the Omaha people that are getting bent out of shape over even the most minimal of criticism of the region. Just look at how Go NE has started to cry after some people suggested Omaha was boring.

The current metro population of Omaha, according to the latest Census estimate is around 829,000 people with a current growth rate around 8%.

The current metro population of Des Moines, according to the latest Census estimate is around 546,000 people with a current growth rate of 13.5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
JPimus,

You have no clue. The Omaha metro is nearly twice the size of Des Moines. Omaha is consistently ranked as a top metro area to live and just recently listed as the 3rd best city (can't recall the publication...it may have been Yahoo) to live in terms of career and living. One of its suburbs (Papillion) is consistently ranked in the top 10 cities to live.

Who cares if Omaha has no pro sports team. Neither do Des Moines, Wichita, Topeka, Little Rock, or Oklahoma City (not at the moment). Since when is the defining characteristic of a city?? Have you ever been to Omaha? Name one thing those cities have that Omaha doesn't? If you'd actually pay attention you'd realize Omaha is a boom town and its economy is humming along quite nicely. The Omaha of today is not the Omaha of the '80s. Omaha is much more similar to a Kansas City than a Des Moines, Topeka, or Wichita.

Please. Your "expertise" in the matter is laughable and your indictment of other people is equally absurd. How are people oppressing your opinion...because they disagree with your opinion concerning Omaha?

You get all huffy when someone dares disagree with your negative opinion of Omaha, but are willing to give them the same respect that you demand from them. Yes, everyone has an opinion...and their opinion is simply that your opinion is wrong. Well, my opinion is that they're correct. Sorry, if I'm "oppressing" you.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:54 AM

148 posts, read 348,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
JPimus,

You have no clue. The Omaha metro is nearly twice the size of Des Moines. Omaha is consistently ranked as a top metro area to live and just recently listed as the 3rd best city (can't recall the publication...it may have been Yahoo) to live in terms of career and living. One of its suburbs (Papillion) is consistently ranked in the top 10 cities to live.

Who cares if Omaha has no pro sports team. Neither do Des Moines, Wichita, Topeka, Little Rock, or Oklahoma City (not at the moment). Since when is the defining characteristic of a city?? Have you ever been to Omaha? Name one thing those cities have that Omaha doesn't? If you'd actually pay attention you'd realize Omaha is a boom town and its economy is humming along quite nicely. The Omaha of today is not the Omaha of the '80s. Omaha is much more similar to a Kansas City than a Des Moines, Topeka, or Wichita.

Please. Your "expertise" in the matter is laughable and your indictment of other people is equally absurd. How are people oppressing your opinion...because they disagree with your opinion concerning Omaha?

You get all huffy when someone dares disagree with your negative opinion of Omaha, but are willing to give them the same respect that you demand from them. Yes, everyone has an opinion...and their opinion is simply that your opinion is wrong. Well, my opinion is that they're correct. Sorry, if I'm "oppressing" you.

You need to take a break from the cow tipping and stop being so insecure that you live in a farm town. It's not my fault Wichita is better. I love Wichita. It is one of the best cities I've seen in the plains.

I drove from New York to San Francisco. I saw Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago and few other awesome large cities. Omaha blew on ice and was more of suburb with a tiny downtown, but Wichita was awesome. Oklahoma City was beautiful as well. Wichita and Oklahoma City has awesome bars and restaurants. They don't have frozen steaks like you guys.

Kansas City is light years ahead of Omaha. They always have been. Remember that song "Kansas City" in the early 60's. I am 78 years old and I seen a lot of cities after the war. And God I hated Omaha. I hated it so much.
The last time I was there was 2006. My wife wanted to see it. Were driving to Denver from Queens. As soon as I saw the Nebraska state line I jumped out of the vehicle. That's right, I jumped out of a moving vehicle with my wife still inside. That is how much I hated Omaha.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 AM

11,881 posts, read 32,916,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
OH NO!!! not another poster from Omaha, did Go Ne round up some people from the Omaha threads.

and you mentioned Omaha is a boom town, wow my city isnt even a boom town and we're growing almost twice as fast as your city is, plus our whole metro area is growing fast also.
No kidding. Omaha isn't even in the top 100 of the country's fastest growing metro areas.

And that guy who said Omaha is more like Kansas City and less like Des Moines is fooling himself. If one were to take two Omahas and add a Lincoln it would almost be the same size as Kansas City.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
guys this is not helping end this argument, oh God.............

Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
guys this is not helping end this argument, oh God.............
You need to see a psychiatrist. I am not joking about this either. You have a very real problem that needs to be addressed by a professional.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
No kidding. Omaha isn't even in the top 100 of the country's fastest growing metro areas.

And that guy who said Omaha is more like Kansas City and less like Des Moines is fooling himself. If one were to take two Omahas and add a Lincoln it would almost be the same size as Kansas City.
size doesn't define everything

Old 07-02-2008, 09:19 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,340 times
god the ignorance astounds... you just can't leave it alone...

"This is an Omaha thread!"
well what do you expect us o do? sit by while our city is unfairly insulted? NO! stop insulting it and this kinda thing wont happen as easily.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You need to see a psychiatrist. I am not joking about this either. You have a very real problem that needs to be addressed by a professional.
he made the first post on this subject, and few others that would be seen as "stirring the pot" and you've made at least as many, and it was your post that got me up in arms. If you don't want an argument then stop fueling it.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Can we just be grown men and end this argument now so this forum can be useful to other people again instead of it just being nothing but Omaha wars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or