U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST U.S. CITY TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY?
New York City 35 20.83%
LOS ANGELOS 23 13.69%
CHICAGO 39 23.21%
HOUSTON 27 16.07%
BOSTON 28 16.67%
DALLAS 13 7.74%
MIAMI 9 5.36%
WASHINGTON DC 22 13.10%
SAN FRANCISCO 36 21.43%
SEATTLE 34 20.24%
PHILADELPHIA 16 9.52%
DENVER 22 13.10%
AUSTIN 17 10.12%
PORTLAND, OR 20 11.90%
SAN DIEGO 22 13.10%
PITTSBURGH 10 5.95%
ATLANTA 11 6.55%
SAN ANTONIO 7 4.17%
MINNEAPOLIS 13 7.74%
HARTFORD 4 2.38%
PHOENIX 7 4.17%
INDIANAPOLIS 12 7.14%
KANASAS CITY, MO 7 4.17%
CHARLOTTE 10 5.95%
TAMPA 5 2.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,093,479 times

Advertisements

What you people FAIL to understand is that everyone is entitled to THEIR own opinion on a subject. You need to come to grips with the fact that not everyone is in love with Comaha and many are not afraid to voice THEIR opinions stating as such.

When people post incorrect facts then you have every right to question their information and correct it. On more than one occasion the pro Comaha people have misstated facts such as comparing populations of one city or metro to Comaha.

The problem is you DO NOT want other people to be entitled to THEIR opinion about your hometown. You have a lot of nerve stating that your opinions are FACT while other opinions are lies. Essentially that is exactly what you are doing when you do not permit someone to express their own opinion without constantly harassing them for not sharing the same opinion as yourselves.

You are acting like spoiled brats. Pure and simple and you are not helping the cause of your fair city by acting in such a boorish, ignorant and over bearing manner. Opinions are subjective and based upon the experiences one has in life. Don't expect everyone's life experiences in Comaha to be identical to yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
What you people FAIL to understand is that everyone is entitled to THEIR own opinion on a subject. You need to come to grips with the fact that not everyone is in love with Comaha and many are not afraid to voice THEIR opinions stating as such.

When people post incorrect facts then you have every right to question their information and correct it. On more than one occasion the pro Comaha people have misstated facts such as comparing populations of one city or metro to Comaha.

The problem is you DO NOT want other people to be entitled to THEIR opinion about your hometown. You have a lot of nerve stating that your opinions are FACT while other opinions are lies. Essentially that is exactly what you are doing when you do not permit someone to express their own opinion without constantly harassing them for not sharing the same opinion as yourselves.

You are acting like spoiled brats. Pure and simple and you are not helping the cause of your fair city by acting in such a boorish, ignorant and over bearing manner.

lets just stop this! right here. No more bickering. I'm tired of this.
I still have plenty of things to argue about, but if you want me to stifle my opinion then fine. You won't hear from me on this thread again.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,321,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I voted for Boston... I live about 2.5 hrs from Boston and go there as often as I can. It's historical yet contemporary and I love the people/food/culture. Hopefully I can get a job there after college.
I did as well.
Boston has the advantage of being surrounded by New England. Lakes, mountains, and the ocean are our backyard. Crime and overcrowding are very low. a perfect blend of the four seasons.
I really do not understand why the people on this forum use growth (suburban sprawl?) as an asset to a city. I lived in Northern Virginia and in 20 years there will be nothing but incredible traffic, highways, McMansions and McCondos there. It is really too bad because that is one of the most beautiful areas of this country that I have ever seen.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
Quote:

You are acting like spoiled brats. Pure and simple and you are not helping the cause of your fair city by acting in such a boorish, ignorant and over bearing manner. Opinions are subjective and based upon the experiences one has in life. Don't expect everyone's life experiences in Comaha to be identical to yours.
I know you are entitled to your own opinion, but when you try to force that opinion on others before they come here thats something different

Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
lets just stop this! right here. No more bickering. I'm tired of this.
I still have plenty of things to argue about, but if you want me to stifle my opinion then fine. You won't hear from me on this thread again.
Now it sounds like you are barking orders to the rest of us. This simply reinforces my point. Nobody is taking you or any other pro Comahan to task for your opinion. It is your opinion and you are entitled to have it. Don't expect us to shut up simply because you are not pleased with our opinions of your region. I've been nowhere near as negative as some others and I can find some good things about the area. But the behavior of you and others is giving me the impression I need to avoid ever visiting the place again let alone move there.

Perhaps the following can best illustrate the point I am trying to get across. I come from a town called Simsbury in Connecticut. It is a lower rent version of the swank Fairfield County towns of Wilton, Ridgefield, Westport, Darien etc. Many of the same people that live in those towns have also lived in Simsbury or do presently. It's a high rent suburb of the city of Hartford. We used to call our town "Simsboring" because in a word, it was BORING, especially for teenagers and young adults. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY got bent out of shape when someone called it Simsboring or Simplebury. NO ONE! They were entitled to their opinion and other people respected that and left it at that.

On more than one occasion someone indicated in this forum that Comaha was boring. GO NE started to snivel and get bent out of shape over it and claimed it was an insult. He's starting to look like he needs psychological help because it is obvious he cannot handle any controversy or adversarial comments even at the most simplistic level.

Even though I grew up and hail from an upper middle class to wealthy suburb, I happen to be most comfortable in the mountains, forests and out of doors. I don't need much of what society has to offer and I find most metro areas to be boring. Conversely, I don't expect most city dwellers to find the areas of the country that I find appealing to be their cup of tea. When someone says "Connecticut is boring" or "I don't like the out of doors in New England" I don't get bent out of shape. It is their opinion which is based upon life experiences and personal interests and they have every right to state that opinion even if it contradicts my own opinion.

Got it?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I know you are entitled to your own opinion, but when you try to force that opinion on others before they come here thats something different
That is precisely what you are doing. You are claiming it to be something that it is not. You try to give the impression to people that it is a world class city and you may get their expectations up to an unreasonable level. They are in for a letdown when they find it has only a small number of entertainment and cultural venues and a bus system that barely runs at night and on Sunday.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 AM

148 posts, read 348,563 times
Quote:
Now it sounds like you are barking orders to the rest of us. This simply reinforces my point. Nobody is taking you or any other pro Comahan to task for your opinion. It is your opinion and you are entitled to have it. Don't expect us to shut up simply because you are not pleased with our opinions of your region. I've been nowhere near as negative as some others and I can find some good things about the area. But the behavior of you and others is giving me the impression I need to avoid ever visiting the place again let alone move there.

Perhaps the following can best illustrate the point I am trying to get across. I come from a town called Simsbury in Connecticut. It is a lower rent version of the swank Fairfield County towns of Wilton, Ridgefield, Westport, Darien etc. Many of the same people that live in those towns have also lived in Simsbury or do presently. It's a high rent suburb of the city of Hartford. We used to call our town "Simsboring" because in a word, it was BORING, especially for teenagers and young adults. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY got bent out of shape when someone called it Simsboring or Simplebury. NO ONE! They were entitled to their opinion and other people respected that and left it at that.

On more than one occasion someone indicated in this forum that Comaha was boring. GO NE started to snivel and get bent out of shape over it and claimed it was an insult. He's starting to look like he needs psychological help because it is obvious he cannot handle any controversy or adversarial comments even at the most simplistic level.

Even though I grew up and hail from an upper middle class to wealthy suburb, I happen to be most comfortable in the mountains, forests and out of doors. I don't need much of what society has to offer and I find most metro areas to be boring. Conversely, I don't expect most city dwellers to find the areas of the country that I find appealing to be their cup of tea. When someone says "Connecticut is boring" or "I don't like the out of doors in New England" I don't get bent out of shape. It is their opinion which is based upon life experiences and personal interests and they have every right to state that opinion even if it contradicts my own opinion.

Got it?

Connecticut is a beautiful state. I always thought it's location was the best in the country. Norwalk is one of my favorite cities in the country. 30 miles from NYC and the family loves the Maritime Center. Also, this an amazing Greek Pizza place called Jordan's up the street from Stew Leonards.

I'll tell another story about Nebraska. My grandson moved there a few years back from New Jersey. He was there for about 6 months and told me how it much it blew on ice. He moved to Austin and loves it. I was happy for him. He is in a rock band and they are doing well in Austin. Austin/Houston/NYC/L.A is where it is at for the youth of our nation.

I do want to say one thing positive about Nebraska. There is a large Air Force base there called "Offut" and they are working hard there and are a vital part of this nation's national security. So as the birthday of this nation approaches let's we remember who the true heros are and say a prayer the safe return home from fighting Al-Qaeda overseas.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
Connecticut is a beautiful state. I always thought it's location was the best in the country. Norwalk is one of my favorite cities in the country. 30 miles from NYC and the family loves the Maritime Center. Also, this an amazing Greek Pizza place called Jordan's up the street from Stew Leonards.

I'll tell another story about Nebraska. My grandson moved there a few years back from New Jersey. He was there for about 6 months and told me how it much it blew on ice. He moved to Austin and loves it. I was happy for him. He is in a rock band and they are doing well in Austin. Austin/Houston/NYC/L.A is where it is at for the youth of our nation.

I do want to say one thing positive about Nebraska. There is a large Air Force base there called "Offut" and they are working hard there and are a vital part of this nation's national security. So as the birthday of this nation approaches let's we remember who the true heros are and say a prayer the safe return home from fighting Al-Qaeda overseas.
I used to hang out in Wilton and Ridgefield at the tail end of high school and for a few years afterward. A friend moved to Wilton and we got a chance to see the other end of the state. At that time I also dated briefly a woman that I met at the University of Colorado who was from Westport. I expected her to be very pretentious and plastic because she came from such a wealthy background but she was very down to earth and a pretty nice young lady. I also spent time in Branford because I lived there as a wee young lad of 3 to 4 years old.

Norwalk is up and coming from what I understand. Never really spent any time there but I guess the waterfront is coming along nicely. If you ever get to New Haven by all means go to Wooster Street and try Pepe's Pizza and Sally's right next door. The Spot is attached to Pepe's and is an extension of that facility.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
Well maybe I don't like being called crazy, a nut job, or stereotyped by an arrogant New Yorker!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well maybe I don't like being called crazy, a nut job, or stereotyped by an arrogant New Yorker!
Then stop acting like it. And I am not a New Yorker.

And if you read the official definition of an arrogant individual I think the behavior of the people of Comaha on this board more aptly fits the description than anyone posting comments refuting your facts. In essence only YOU are convinced of your own superiority.

Roget's II: The New Thesaurus
Main Entry: arrogant
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: Overly convinced of one's own superiority and importance.
Synonyms: haughty, high-and-mighty, insolent, lofty, lordly, overbearing, overweening, prideful, proud, supercilious, superior
Idioms: on one's high horse
Synonym Collection v1.1
Main Entry: arrogant
Part of Speech: adjective
Synonyms: bossy, cocky, conceited, contemptuous, disdainful, egotistic, haughty, highfalutin, imperious, insolent, insulting, lofty, lordly, overbearing, overweening, presuming, presumptuous, proud, snooty, supercilious, superior, uppity, vainglorious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or