U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: BEST U.S. CITY TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY?
New York City 35 20.83%
LOS ANGELOS 23 13.69%
CHICAGO 39 23.21%
HOUSTON 27 16.07%
BOSTON 28 16.67%
DALLAS 13 7.74%
MIAMI 9 5.36%
WASHINGTON DC 22 13.10%
SAN FRANCISCO 36 21.43%
SEATTLE 34 20.24%
PHILADELPHIA 16 9.52%
DENVER 22 13.10%
AUSTIN 17 10.12%
PORTLAND, OR 20 11.90%
SAN DIEGO 22 13.10%
PITTSBURGH 10 5.95%
ATLANTA 11 6.55%
SAN ANTONIO 7 4.17%
MINNEAPOLIS 13 7.74%
HARTFORD 4 2.38%
PHOENIX 7 4.17%
INDIANAPOLIS 12 7.14%
KANASAS CITY, MO 7 4.17%
CHARLOTTE 10 5.95%
TAMPA 5 2.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,713,475 times
Reputation: 1215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Then stop acting like it. And I am not a New Yorker.

And if you read the official definition of an arrogant individual I think the behavior of the people of Comaha on this board more aptly fits the description than anyone posting comments refuting your facts. In essence only YOU are convinced of your own superiority.

Roget's II: The New Thesaurus
Main Entry: arrogant
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: Overly convinced of one's own superiority and importance.
Synonyms: haughty, high-and-mighty, insolent, lofty, lordly, overbearing, overweening, prideful, proud, supercilious, superior
Idioms: on one's high horse
Synonym Collection v1.1
Main Entry: arrogant
Part of Speech: adjective
Synonyms: bossy, cocky, conceited, contemptuous, disdainful, egotistic, haughty, highfalutin, imperious, insolent, insulting, lofty, lordly, overbearing, overweening, presuming, presumptuous, proud, snooty, supercilious, superior, uppity, vainglorious
you arent a New Yorker, but Jpimus is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,119 posts, read 3,821,372 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I used to hang out in Wilton and Ridgefield at the tail end of high school and for a few years afterward. A friend moved to Wilton and we got a chance to see the other end of the state. At that time I also dated briefly a woman that I met at the University of Colorado who was from Westport. I expected her to be very pretentious and plastic because she came from such a wealthy background but she was very down to earth and a pretty nice young lady. I also spent time in Branford because I lived there as a wee young lad of 3 to 4 years old.

Norwalk is up and coming from what I understand. Never really spent any time there but I guess the waterfront is coming along nicely. If you ever get to New Haven by all means go to Wooster Street and try Pepe's Pizza and Sally's right next door. The Spot is attached to Pepe's and is an extension of that facility.

Interesting that he would choose a toxic waste dump over a great nature state that is rated near the top for personal wealth potential..

Seems to me that the mix of New Jersey public prison..i mean schools and the toxic air made your kids insight a bit hazy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,653,930 times
Reputation: 477
A few have relied completely on population to claim Omaha is a lesser city. Umm...there is much much more than population. Omaha's economy is much more progressive and than say Topeka, Wichita, or Des Moines. Omaha has the largest number of fortune 500 companies per capita and many fortune 100 companies. Omaha is constantly rated as a boom city. Not because of pure population, but because of the growing and diversified economy! In fact, the steady 8% growth is one reason its economy is healthy! How is the housing market in Phoenix??

Now, I never said everyone needed to love or even like Omaha. I was simply responding to the ridiculous stereotyping going on that painted Omaha as a cowtown, but somehow painted Wichita, Topeka, and Des Moines as progressive cities. Omaha's economy IS more similar to KC than Des Moines. That opinion is not based on some meaningless measure of simple population, rather its based on the healthy, growing, and diversified economy and work force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 PM
 
11,905 posts, read 32,966,157 times
Reputation: 8685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
A few have relied completely on population to claim Omaha is a lesser city. Umm...there is much much more than population. Omaha's economy is much more progressive and than say Topeka, Wichita, or Des Moines. Omaha has the largest number of fortune 500 companies per capita and many fortune 100 companies. Omaha is constantly rated as a boom city. Not because of pure population, but because of the growing and diversified economy! In fact, the steady 8% growth is one reason its economy is healthy! How is the housing market in Phoenix??

Now, I never said everyone needed to love or even like Omaha. I was simply responding to the ridiculous stereotyping going on that painted Omaha as a cowtown, but somehow painted Wichita, Topeka, and Des Moines as progressive cities. Omaha's economy IS more similar to KC than Des Moines. That opinion is not based on some meaningless measure of simple population, rather its based on the healthy, growing, and diversified economy and work force.
Well, let's see, KC, Des Moines, and even Wichita have faster population growth rates than Omaha. I guess all those people are moving to KC, Des Moines, and Wichita for their generous welfare programs since you say Omaha actually has more jobs? How exactly is Omaha's economy more "progressive"? And where are these studies that have Omaha "constantly rated as a boom city"? How can Omaha be a boom city if its population growth rate isn't even among the top 100 in the US? What exactly is booming in Omaha if people aren't moving there?

I'm not trying to start (or continue) a fight. I really want to know what studies you're citing since they seem to contradict actual population movements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,713,475 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

And if you read the official definition of an arrogant individual I think the behavior of the people of Comaha on this board more aptly fits the description than anyone posting comments refuting your facts.
What? Result to names to try to win? Comaha? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,469,790 times
Reputation: 2125
I believe Omaha is more on Des Moines level than KC, all this Omaha talk is making me sick, I dont care if I ever see a pic of Omaha or hear the name again, I dont ever want to go there after hearing all this.

I dont believe its a boom town, if it is there must be 100 cities in front of it that are boom towns also, so therefore there is nothing to brag about.

yall in Omaha remind me of my friend who lives in this small stagnant town that is finally going through a change and getting some businesses and adding a small amount of population, yet its not even in the top 10 in New Mexico in growth but my friend insists its the next greatest boom town in New Mexico and makes outrageous claims kinda like yall in Omaha.Its just that yall arnt use to change and when a little change happens yall cant wait to tell someone and brag all about it, like your the only city that is growing and having good things. Anyways I just kinda ignore my friend with all his claims that I know is non-sense, kinda like all the BS about Omaha.

Omaha's growth may be special to yall but no one else really cares about it.Its not a popular city that people are just itching to flock too.I think Des Moines probably makes yall a little insecure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,103,313 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Interesting that he would choose a toxic waste dump over a great nature state that is rated near the top for personal wealth potential..

Seems to me that the mix of New Jersey public prison..i mean schools and the toxic air made your kids insight a bit hazy...
Fresh.

Nebraska a great nature state? You're delirious. It has no real hills let alone mountains, no ocean, no forests and almost no lakes. Aside from the Sand Hills it has a few trees and corn fields.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 07-03-2008 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,473 posts, read 12,336,688 times
Reputation: 3597
Default Will Someone Anyone Please Add Omaha To The Top 25 LIST!!!!

Well will someone add Omaha to the list and let's vote on it and get this over with....Cooler heads will prevail once Omaha is truly empowered.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE (the O-N-E)
226 posts, read 918,916 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
I think the hijacking forum proves my point and a few other points about Omaha. People in Omaha have way too much time on their hands because there is nothing to there. That is why they are so insecure about their town.

Face it people, no cares about Omaha! Sorry to break it to you, but no one wants to live in Nebraska. BORING!
Bullsh*t man ,

I moved from California to Omaha when I was 18 and then moved to Nevada when I was 21 and it sucks here and I can't wait to get back to Omaha...

Sure Omaha may not have a national sports team but so what? Omaha has a very good economy and a low cost of living and right now with this recession I think a strong economy is waaaaaaaaay more important than some sports team........

Omaha also has the most easy-to-navigate streets I have ever seen in any US city (except for some parts of North and West Omaha)

And the lifestyle in Omaha is way more laid back than some other cities out there... And people in Omaha aren't so stuck up and smug like they are here on the West Coast...

Also there is no emissions testing when registering your car! I hate all this going green crap... it can really dig into your wallet if your car doesn't pass that smog test; not a problem in Omaha, though... Hell I could cut out my Catallyc Converter and use a pipe to connect the ends and register that mug and drive around all I want... Try doing that in most other metros in the midwest or on either Coasts....

Oh yea and Omaha doesnt have a traffic problem (unless its CWS time)

Im moving back to Omaha as soon as I can cause I hate Reno!

March ' 09 baby!

8 months 3 weeks and counting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,103,313 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
Bullsh*t man ,

I moved from California to Omaha when I was 18 and then moved to Nevada when I was 21 and it sucks here and I can't wait to get back to Omaha...

Sure Omaha may not have a national sports team but so what? Omaha has a very good economy and a low cost of living and right now with this recession I think a strong economy is waaaaaaaaay more important than some sports team........

Omaha also has the most easy-to-navigate streets I have ever seen in any US city (except for some parts of North and West Omaha)

And the lifestyle in Omaha is way more laid back than some other cities out there... And people in Omaha aren't so stuck up and smug like they are here on the West Coast...

Also there is no emissions testing when registering your car! I hate all this going green crap... it can really dig into your wallet if your car doesn't pass that smog test; not a problem in Omaha, though... Hell I could cut out my Catallyc Converter and use a pipe to connect the ends and register that mug and drive around all I want... Try doing that in most other metros in the midwest or on either Coasts....

Oh yea and Omaha doesnt have a traffic problem (unless its CWS time)

Im moving back to Omaha as soon as I can cause I hate Reno!

March ' 09 baby!

8 months 3 weeks and counting!
This is coming from someone that DID live in Omaha too. Most of us are not maligning Omaha as a place to live, work or do business. But we are kind of tired of the way these people from Omaha are beating us over the head about how it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and OVER PROMOTING it as a place to live. And I agree that the people are far less stuck up than most places. I've met many more stuck up, pretentious and shallow people per capita in KC than Omaha.

A perfect example of my point is when Go NE told the gal from Burlington, VT / New York City that she could get by on using Mass Transit in Omaha as her sole source of transportation because the system is growing. Forget it. No way. The odds of her finding a job on a bus line are 50/50 at best. And if she wants to use the bus at night or on weekends when going to and from entertainment in the area then she will most likely be out of luck in finding one that even runs, let alone to where she needs to go.

This is irresponsible behavior. If that woman was to move to Omaha based upon what he told her she could easily find herself in a spot of trouble without a car. She needs to be in a place that really does have good mass transit, even if it does not match up to NYC's mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top