U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST U.S. CITY TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY?
New York City 35 20.83%
LOS ANGELOS 23 13.69%
CHICAGO 39 23.21%
HOUSTON 27 16.07%
BOSTON 28 16.67%
DALLAS 13 7.74%
MIAMI 9 5.36%
WASHINGTON DC 22 13.10%
SAN FRANCISCO 36 21.43%
SEATTLE 34 20.24%
PHILADELPHIA 16 9.52%
DENVER 22 13.10%
AUSTIN 17 10.12%
PORTLAND, OR 20 11.90%
SAN DIEGO 22 13.10%
PITTSBURGH 10 5.95%
ATLANTA 11 6.55%
SAN ANTONIO 7 4.17%
MINNEAPOLIS 13 7.74%
HARTFORD 4 2.38%
PHOENIX 7 4.17%
INDIANAPOLIS 12 7.14%
KANASAS CITY, MO 7 4.17%
CHARLOTTE 10 5.95%
TAMPA 5 2.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,712,679 times

Advertisements

Great, another Omaha war, not getting involved, have a good day to you all, though I wouldn't say its a over sized village, and I think we are at least on par with Indy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,959,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Great, another Omaha war, not getting involved, have a good day to you all, though I wouldn't say its a over sized village, and I think we are at least on par with Indy.
Well I've never been there so since you do live there, I'll have to take your word for it

Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,959,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I think you guys in Omaha just gotta realize that no one outside of Omaha views the city as you do, you live there so these little things stand out to you but to anyone else they probably dont even notice

like I mentioned in another thread, I never hear anything about Omaha wether it be on TV,newspaper or word of mouth it is never even heard of except for the ones that promote it on these threads, for some reason its just not that well known, its like Wichita, I know it exists but I cant recall the last time I ever heard anything about Wichita.

I hear good things happening in my city but I dont expect everyone else to know about it cause its on my local news and its not something that is broadcast throughout the country.CNN is not gonna do a report on how great Omaha is and that they are getting a pedestrian bridge. I hope you see where Im coming from.
Have you ever been to Omaha or lived there? I don't think you can get a feel for a city by driving through, or enough of a feel to pass a judgement. And just because people all the way over there in NM never hear about Omaha, dosn't mean it's insignicant.
I lived in Springfield, Mo. Coming from San Diego, I never heard anything mentioned of Springfield, or Missouri for that matter. All my friends and family kept saying, why would you want to move to Missouri. And you know what, it was an awesome move, an awesome city. I'd move back there in a heartbeat.
I'm just saying you can't really pass judgement on a place just because you don't hear news of it. And like the saying, "no news is good news". Usually when you hear news of a location, it's usually because something bad is happening, it's never because, "this is a great city!".

Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,121,629 times
Quote:
how are you going to say Omaha is on par with a city you know nothing about?

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 06-30-2008 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,101,972 times
Quote:
I've lived in Indianapolis and Omaha. No comparison whatsoever other than perhaps the terrain. In another 20 years Omaha may approach what Indianapolis is currently but by then Indianapolis will also be approaching 2 million people in its metro area and will then be on its way to elevating itself to the next level of mid to large sized metro areas.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 AM

ok then.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 AM

11,904 posts, read 32,960,859 times
Quote:
Omaha is on par with Indy? That is absurd. Omaha may have the College World Series, but Indy is headquarters to the entire NCAA. Indy also has professional sports and double the population of Omaha.

When people post questions in this forum, most people respect the OP and list cities that meet the listed criteria. It seems to be a few overzealous Omaha boosters who ignore that and insist that Omaha is the answer to everyone's questions. Even the Louisville and Scranton fanatics have toned down their rhetoric lately. But Omaha boosters are so puffed up over their city that they disprespect criteria in order to pound us with their city's few wonders. Over and over again.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 32,960,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Well I've never been there so since you do live there, I'll have to take your word for it
Why? He hasn't lived in Indy, so why should you take his word that Omaha is "on par with Indy"?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Omaha is on par with Indy? That is absurd. Omaha may have the College World Series, but Indy is headquarters to the entire NCAA. Indy also has professional sports and double the population of Omaha.

When people post questions in this forum, most people respect the OP and list cities that meet the listed criteria. It seems to be a few overzealous Omaha boosters who ignore that and insist that Omaha is the answer to everyone's questions. Even the Louisville and Scranton fanatics have toned down their rhetoric lately. But Omaha boosters are so puffed up over their city that they disprespect criteria in order to pound us with their city's few wonders. Over and over again.
Dear Lord! I just always got the impression that Indianapolis wasn't too great, though I guess Chicago people said that so........... But would you really say Omaha is an over sized village? Thats just insulting, but I didn't boost Omaha on this thread much, I was simply semi shocked it wasn't on hear and I left it at that and voted. And besides 2adam29 is the one in the argument, not me, so please don't take it out on me, and I've stopped suggesting Omaha for everything, remember Rapid City?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,101,972 times
I called it a village to make a point. I am teasing about that. That is called "understatement". My point is simple you have a propensity for OVERSTATING everything that is good about Omaha while choosing to ignore the obvious. And that is it's a small Midwestern metro area that has suddenly started to grow and is now becoming a medium sized metro area but hasn't truly filled out yet to fill in its new clothing.

If you consider that insulting then it's a good thing you never grew up in my hometown in Connecticut. Everyone quite literally picked on one another, insulted one another (friend and foe alike) and we fought with each other as well. You need to develop a thicker hide Clyde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or