U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: BEST U.S. CITY TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY?
New York City 35 20.83%
LOS ANGELOS 23 13.69%
CHICAGO 39 23.21%
HOUSTON 27 16.07%
BOSTON 28 16.67%
DALLAS 13 7.74%
MIAMI 9 5.36%
WASHINGTON DC 22 13.10%
SAN FRANCISCO 36 21.43%
SEATTLE 34 20.24%
PHILADELPHIA 16 9.52%
DENVER 22 13.10%
AUSTIN 17 10.12%
PORTLAND, OR 20 11.90%
SAN DIEGO 22 13.10%
PITTSBURGH 10 5.95%
ATLANTA 11 6.55%
SAN ANTONIO 7 4.17%
MINNEAPOLIS 13 7.74%
HARTFORD 4 2.38%
PHOENIX 7 4.17%
INDIANAPOLIS 12 7.14%
KANASAS CITY, MO 7 4.17%
CHARLOTTE 10 5.95%
TAMPA 5 2.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM
 
11,897 posts, read 32,942,782 times
Reputation: 8666

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Dear Lord! I just always got the impression that Indianapolis wasn't too great, though I guess Chicago people said that so........... But would you really say Omaha is an over sized village? Thats just insulting, but I didn't boost Omaha on this thread much, I was simply semi shocked it wasn't on hear and I left it at that and voted. And besides 2adam29 is the one in the argument, not me, so please don't take it out on me, and I've stopped suggesting Omaha for everything, remember Rapid City?
You're right. Sort of. You're not the one who brought up Omaha in this thread. But when you said you're "not getting involved" you most certainly DID get involved before you even finished that sentence. When you said Omaha is "at least on par with Indy" you put yourself right back into the fray. (By the way, if the only reason you know anything about Indianapolis is based on what you read in this forum, you really need to turn off your computer and get out more.)

I've noticed in other threads that you're branching out and recommending places other than Omaha. Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
 
1,992 posts, read 6,037,377 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Dear Lord! I just always got the impression that Indianapolis wasn't too great, though I guess Chicago people said that so........... But would you really say Omaha is an over sized village? Thats just insulting, but I didn't boost Omaha on this thread much, I was simply semi shocked it wasn't on hear and I left it at that and voted. And besides 2adam29 is the one in the argument, not me, so please don't take it out on me, and I've stopped suggesting Omaha for everything, remember Rapid City?
No offense, but I think you have a skewed impression of Omaha's national prominence. The fact is, it is just not on many people's radar at this point. It is in the midwest, and there are no professional franchises, which hurts it's standing even further. At least Indy has the Colts and the Pacers, which give them name recognition. Perhaps in 20 years people will begin to recognize Omaha on a national level, but right now, most people outside of the midwest wouldn't be able to point to it on a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,709,718 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You're right. Sort of. You're not the one who brought up Omaha in this thread. But when you said you're "not getting involved" you most certainly DID get involved before you even finished that sentence. When you said Omaha is "at least on par with Indy" you put yourself right back into the fray.

(By the way, if the only reason you know anything about Indianapolis is based on what you read in this forum, you really need to turn off your computer and get out more.)
True, I did get involved again.

But as for the second Statement, I can't even drive. How am I supposed to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times
Reputation: 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
But as for the second Statement, I can't even drive. How am I supposed to do that?
You should live in a place cool enough to have direct flights and AMTRAK connections to other cool cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,463,621 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Have you ever been to Omaha or lived there? I don't think you can get a feel for a city by driving through, or enough of a feel to pass a judgement. And just because people all the way over there in NM never hear about Omaha, dosn't mean it's insignicant.
I lived in Springfield, Mo. Coming from San Diego, I never heard anything mentioned of Springfield, or Missouri for that matter. All my friends and family kept saying, why would you want to move to Missouri. And you know what, it was an awesome move, an awesome city. I'd move back there in a heartbeat.
I'm just saying you can't really pass judgement on a place just because you don't hear news of it. And like the saying, "no news is good news". Usually when you hear news of a location, it's usually because something bad is happening, it's never because, "this is a great city!".

I wasnt putting down Omaha, I just said that people outside of Omaha dont have the same perception of the city as the people who live there.You took my post tottally wrong.

Its not one of our major cities in this country,its not a tourist destination,it is never mentioned in tv shows or movies, and rarely in newspapers.

look at it like this- I live in Albuquerque and there are lots of things happening here but I dont expect someone to know all about the city and how great it is cause its great to us.We are not some world class city cause a few interesting things are happening or events were here.

some people probably dont even know what state were in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 11:57 AM
 
11,897 posts, read 32,942,782 times
Reputation: 8666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
True, I did get involved again.

But as for the second Statement, I can't even drive. How am I supposed to do that?
What? You mean as glorious and wonderfully hip as Omaha is, you don't have a good public transportation system or bike paths? There's not a library near your house?

I mean seriously, this is just sad. You say you live in a spectacular city, a real boomtown that's so cool it has a real pedestrian bridge crossing the river and is home to the wealthiest man in the country. Yet the only way you can get information is by staying in your house and searching the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,709,718 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
What? You mean as glorious and wonderfully hip as Omaha is, you don't have a good public transportation system or bike paths? There's not a library near your house?

I mean seriously, this is just sad. You say you live in a spectacular city, a real boomtown that's so cool it has a real pedestrian bridge crossing the river and is home to the wealthiest man in the country. Yet the only way you can get information is by staying in your house and searching the internet?
Actually, our public transit is only in Downtown and midtown areas, until next Friday when they give some service to West Omaha. There are plenty of Bike paths here but still. There are plenty of libraries but still, there are other factors are included into the equation that I can't say. DM me if you really want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Omaha
1,137 posts, read 2,051,127 times
Reputation: 321
Lets all come to a rational level. I don't think Omaha is everybody's perfect place, but it is certainly not 62nd. That is my point. I don't fool myself thinking Omaha is better than New York or Los Angeles in terms of attractions, and I've never compared Omaha to Indy. But the idea that we are 62nd in the nation absolutley astounds me, and I think anyone who has actually been here recently, would disagree with the logic in that arguement. Is Omaha at its peak? no. Is it a regional center? not unless you're talking Nebraska and Iowa. Is it nearly as large and tourist friendly as Denver or Chicago. Nope.

Do any of those questions say, "well then this must be a horrendous place to live!" No! Omaha hasn't yet reached it's full potential.

But the thought that small population is such a terrible thing is ludicris. I stayed a week in Philly, and while it was a beautiful place with a lot to do, I didn't feel safe outside of my hotel room, and homeless people approached me daily. I never had an unsafe feeling in downtown Omaha, and a homeless person has only approached me twice in 18 years. Omaha is also quieter and smog-free. Sure, these things come at a cost, less people means less attractions, and less national significance, but if you can feel safe at night and entertained every day, then who cares if you don't have the gridlock of the big city? Would I like Omaha to have a respectable amusement park? yeah, but it'll come along with time.
However, the only way things will continue to improve, is if we can increase our exposure, and when people instantly say "Omaha is just another cowtown" it isn't fair, because our "new toys" make us more than just another cowtown. They make us a cowtown to be reckoned with.

I refuse to feel like Omaha isn't a great city that can't also be right for someone. Is it the biggest? no. Can it be just right for a whole host of people? definately. And it is those people I'm fighting for. Those people who want a city like Omaha won't know it's there if no one tells them it's there.

Some people, as suprising as this may be, don't want to live in a giant city. they want a medium city with an edge. And at least for the time being, Omaha has that edge.

So excuse me if I've seen what my city has to offer and can't accept the idea that we are really as far gone as you seem to assume.


I'm not Over-hyping Omaha. I'm freaking defending it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Lets all come to a rational level. I don't think Omaha is everybody's perfect place, but it is certainly not 62nd. That is my point. I don't fool myself thinking Omaha is better than New York or Los Angeles in terms of attractions, and I've never compared Omaha to Indy. But the idea that we are 62nd in the nation absolutley astounds me, and I think anyone who has actually been here recently, would disagree with the logic in that arguement. Is Omaha at its peak? no. Is it a regional center? not unless you're talking Nebraska and Iowa. Is it nearly as large and tourist friendly as Denver or Chicago. Nope.

Do any of those questions say, "well then this must be a horrendous place to live!" No! Omaha hasn't yet reached it's full potential.

But the thought that small population is such a terrible thing is ludicris. I stayed a week in Philly, and while it was a beautiful place with a lot to do, I didn't feel safe outside of my hotel room, and homeless people approached me daily. I never had an unsafe feeling in downtown Omaha, and a homeless person has only approached me twice in 18 years. Omaha is also quieter and smog-free. Sure, these things come at a cost, less people means less attractions, and less national significance, but if you can feel safe at night and entertained every day, then who cares if you don't have the gridlock of the big city? Would I like Omaha to have a respectable amusement park? yeah, but it'll come along with time.
However, the only way things will continue to improve, is if we can increase our exposure, and when people instantly say "Omaha is just another cowtown" it isn't fair, because our "new toys" make us more than just another cowtown. They make us a cowtown to be reckoned with.

I refuse to feel like Omaha isn't a great city that can't also be right for someone. Is it the biggest? no. Can it be just right for a whole host of people? definately. And it is those people I'm fighting for. Those people who want a city like Omaha won't know it's there if no one tells them it's there.

Some people, as suprising as this may be, don't want to live in a giant city. they want a medium city with an edge. And at least for the time being, Omaha has that edge.

So excuse me if I've seen what my city has to offer and can't accept the idea that we are really as far gone as you seem to assume.


I'm not Over-hyping Omaha. I'm freaking defending it.
I thought this was a great post until the last 2 sentences. I agree with everything else you say, however, the way we handle things is different I guess. The Omaha camp responds with post after post gloating about Omaha as though it is this mecca that everyone should respect and envy. THAT is what causes irritation among people. You can't really defend a city if no one is bashing it. No one bashes Omaha unless you all take offense to something silly and bring up Omaha; or so it seems to me. It seems that the Omaha camp has a chip on its collective shoulder which causes it to get overzealous and want to prove to the world that Omaha is great. Which is great. Every city should have such otherwise fine representives for its city. It just gets old after a while.

Oh well, at the very least you all provide a break from the drudgery that is my workday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Omaha
1,137 posts, read 2,051,127 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I thought this was a great post until the last 2 sentences. I agree with everything else you say, however, the way we handle things is different I guess. The Omaha camp responds with post after post gloating about Omaha as though it is this mecca that everyone should respect and envy. THAT is what causes irritation among people. You can't really defend a city if no one is bashing it. No one bashes Omaha unless you all take offense to something silly and bring up Omaha; or so it seems to me. It seems that the Omaha camp has a chip on its collective shoulder which causes it to get overzealous and want to prove to the world that Omaha is great. Which is great. Every city should have such otherwise fine representives for its city. It just gets old after a while.

Oh well, at the very least you all provide a break from the drudgery that is my workday.
I was defending it. Omaha was deemed to not be worth of top 25 status, and then to make matters ridiculous it was called 62nd. All I wanted to say was that it deserves better than that. I'll live with the idea that people don't think it fits in the top 25. 62nd is frankly, insulting and that is what I was defending. Normally though you would be correct, but in this particular instance, I still view this as more defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top