U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST U.S. CITY TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY?
New York City 35 20.83%
LOS ANGELOS 23 13.69%
CHICAGO 39 23.21%
HOUSTON 27 16.07%
BOSTON 28 16.67%
DALLAS 13 7.74%
MIAMI 9 5.36%
WASHINGTON DC 22 13.10%
SAN FRANCISCO 36 21.43%
SEATTLE 34 20.24%
PHILADELPHIA 16 9.52%
DENVER 22 13.10%
AUSTIN 17 10.12%
PORTLAND, OR 20 11.90%
SAN DIEGO 22 13.10%
PITTSBURGH 10 5.95%
ATLANTA 11 6.55%
SAN ANTONIO 7 4.17%
MINNEAPOLIS 13 7.74%
HARTFORD 4 2.38%
PHOENIX 7 4.17%
INDIANAPOLIS 12 7.14%
KANASAS CITY, MO 7 4.17%
CHARLOTTE 10 5.95%
TAMPA 5 2.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,996,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Is this thread about Omaha?
LOL I was wondering the same thing. Lets get back on topic please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Lets all come to a rational level. I don't think Omaha is everybody's perfect place, but it is certainly not 62nd. That is my point. I don't fool myself thinking Omaha is better than New York or Los Angeles in terms of attractions, and I've never compared Omaha to Indy. But the idea that we are 62nd in the nation absolutley astounds me, and I think anyone who has actually been here recently, would disagree with the logic in that arguement. Is Omaha at its peak? no. Is it a regional center? not unless you're talking Nebraska and Iowa. Is it nearly as large and tourist friendly as Denver or Chicago. Nope.

Do any of those questions say, "well then this must be a horrendous place to live!" No! Omaha hasn't yet reached it's full potential.

But the thought that small population is such a terrible thing is ludicris. I stayed a week in Philly, and while it was a beautiful place with a lot to do, I didn't feel safe outside of my hotel room, and homeless people approached me daily. I never had an unsafe feeling in downtown Omaha, and a homeless person has only approached me twice in 18 years. Omaha is also quieter and smog-free. Sure, these things come at a cost, less people means less attractions, and less national significance, but if you can feel safe at night and entertained every day, then who cares if you don't have the gridlock of the big city? Would I like Omaha to have a respectable amusement park? yeah, but it'll come along with time.
However, the only way things will continue to improve, is if we can increase our exposure, and when people instantly say "Omaha is just another cowtown" it isn't fair, because our "new toys" make us more than just another cowtown. They make us a cowtown to be reckoned with.

I refuse to feel like Omaha isn't a great city that can't also be right for someone. Is it the biggest? no. Can it be just right for a whole host of people? definately. And it is those people I'm fighting for. Those people who want a city like Omaha won't know it's there if no one tells them it's there.

Some people, as suprising as this may be, don't want to live in a giant city. they want a medium city with an edge. And at least for the time being, Omaha has that edge.

So excuse me if I've seen what my city has to offer and can't accept the idea that we are really as far gone as you seem to assume.

I'm not Over-hyping Omaha. I'm freaking defending it.

its really not about population at all and I know you've mentioned this before in other posts but no one is bringing up populaiton as a flaw for Omaha.There are plenty of smaller cities that are not looked down upon as much as Omaha but are well know.

Think of the mid-small sized cities you hear often, this is my point.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
its really not about population at all and I know you've mentioned this before in other posts but no one is bringing up populaiton as a flaw for Omaha.There are plenty of smaller cities that are not looked down upon as much as Omaha but are well know.

Think of the mid-small sized cities you hear often, this is my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Did you even look at the 25 cities in this list? Every one of them is considerably larger than Omaha and has at least 1 million in its metro area. And don't say "Yeah but if you include Lincoln..." because EVERY city can make a similar claim ("Yeah but if you include Hickory..." "Yeah but if you include Sevierville..." "Yeah but if you include Provo...").

Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,087,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Is this thread about Omaha?
This is an extremely silly question. Yes, this thread is about Omaha and so are most threads on this board.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM

500 posts, read 822,184 times
I wouldn't mind living in any of those cities. Even though I'm not crazy about Indy, and I know Western PA is pretty scenic but I've heard some horror stories about the people of that region

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM

148 posts, read 348,430 times
Time for me to speak up. This Omaha rant is getting a little annoying. I didn't include Omaha because it is NOT a major metropolitan area. While the population of Omaha is around 400,000 the metropolitan area is not. Nebraska only has around 2.5 million people (more people live in Houston than the entire state).

I included cities like Hartford over Omaha because Hartford Metro area is much larger than Omaha's and Hartford's downtown is also larger. So, the people from Omaha need to chill out and stop hijacking threads. Omaha is a little city in the middle of the heartland like Wichita (which is actually larger than Omaha). I decided to pick only 25. I believe cities like OKlahoma City, Cleveland and Wichita come before Omaha and they were not included.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post
I wouldn't mind living in any of those cities. Even though I'm not crazy about Indy, and I know Western PA is pretty scenic but I've heard some horror stories about the people of that region
Bud. Can you expound a bit on the horror stories that you've heard?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:05 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,704,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
Time for me to speak up. This Omaha rant is getting a little annoying. I didn't include Omaha because it is NOT a major metropolitan area. While the population of Omaha is around 400,000 the metropolitan area is not. Nebraska only has around 2.5 million people (more people live in Houston than the entire state).

I included cities like Hartford over Omaha because Hartford Metro area is much larger than Omaha's and Hartford's downtown is also larger. So, the people from Omaha need to chill out and stop hijacking threads. Omaha is a little city in the middle of the heartland like Wichita (which is actually larger than Omaha). I decided to pick only 25. I believe cities like OKlahoma City, Cleveland and Wichita come before Omaha and they were not included.
The metro isn't what? The population of Nebraska 1.7 million. We didn't hijack the thread, this ridiculous argument just keeps moving. Omaha has about 300,000 people more than Wichita metro wise and 100,000 city proper wise. Get your facts right before you post

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM

See, I told you so. This is an Omaha thread.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,119 times
I was speaking on behalf of the 62nd comment not really of it being considered in the top 25. However, population does not equate happiness and I think all large cities should be considered for the potential title. I don't think Omaha is alone in it's ability to be a great place. OKC and Cleveland and Wichita also should have been options in my opinion, but then again like I was saying, I was responding to a comment bashing my city speaking about an absurd rank of 62nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or