Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST U.S. CITY TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY?
New York City 35 20.71%
LOS ANGELOS 23 13.61%
CHICAGO 40 23.67%
HOUSTON 27 15.98%
BOSTON 28 16.57%
DALLAS 13 7.69%
MIAMI 9 5.33%
WASHINGTON DC 22 13.02%
SAN FRANCISCO 36 21.30%
SEATTLE 34 20.12%
PHILADELPHIA 16 9.47%
DENVER 22 13.02%
AUSTIN 17 10.06%
PORTLAND, OR 20 11.83%
SAN DIEGO 22 13.02%
PITTSBURGH 10 5.92%
ATLANTA 11 6.51%
SAN ANTONIO 7 4.14%
MINNEAPOLIS 13 7.69%
HARTFORD 4 2.37%
PHOENIX 7 4.14%
INDIANAPOLIS 12 7.10%
KANASAS CITY, MO 7 4.14%
CHARLOTTE 10 5.92%
TAMPA 5 2.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 PM

139 posts, read 449,362 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Houston, Austin, and DC, and I definitely vote for AUSTIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 05:27 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,709,338 times
I voted for San Diego, my hometown. I think SD is better than Atlanta, no offense Ga, I really like it here in Ga, just not so much a fan of the ATL. Feel much safer in SD, plus there is way more to do.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:58 PM

148 posts, read 387,796 times
I apologize for my typo of Los Angeles. I noticed it as soon as I submitted the poll and I felt like such a fool.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,709,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
I apologize for my typo of Los Angeles. I noticed it as soon as I submitted the poll and I felt like such a fool.

Aw don't worry about it! I never criticize spelling errors because I know 9 times out of 10 that your fingers got carried away! And then why embarrass the 1 who dosn't know how to spell something?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,272,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
That's because Omaha has not yet reached the status of a Top 25 city. It is not well rounded in terms of a high overall standard of living. The Places Rated Almanac has it rated around 62nd best metro area in the country. I have to admit I don't think Hartford has yet achieved a Top 25 ranking either though it is well ahead of Omaha in overall standard of living. Places Rated Almanac has it at the 42nd best metro area.

Bear in mind Kiplingers is a Financial publication. I sincerely doubt they can effectively analyze non financial criteria as well as a more unbiased publication can. They may be wowing over the financial growth taking place in the Omaha area but that still does not mean it has a superior quality of life just yet. Essentially Omaha's arts and entertainment cannot match up with larger metro areas. Hartford is taking decent strides at once again becoming an important metro area in this country but it also still has a way to go before it arrives.

62nd?!?!

ridiculous! Turn on NBC right now you'll see the Olympic Swimming Trials live from Omaha. And sure, Kiplingers is a finantial magazine, but finance dictates a lot of how people live. I could believe if Omaha wasn't in the top 25. I don't agree with the assertion at all for any number of reasons, but I could live with that. 62nd is ludicris and is absolutely false. NO way that is possible.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
62nd?!?!

ridiculous! Turn on NBC right now you'll see the Olympic Swimming Trials live from Omaha. And sure, Kiplingers is a finantial magazine, but finance dictates a lot of how people live. I could believe if Omaha wasn't in the top 25. I don't agree with the assertion at all for any number of reasons, but I could live with that. 62nd is ludicris and is absolutely false. NO way that is possible.

I think you guys in Omaha just gotta realize that no one outside of Omaha views the city as you do, you live there so these little things stand out to you but to anyone else they probably dont even notice

like I mentioned in another thread, I never hear anything about Omaha wether it be on TV,newspaper or word of mouth it is never even heard of except for the ones that promote it on these threads, for some reason its just not that well known, its like Wichita, I know it exists but I cant recall the last time I ever heard anything about Wichita.

I hear good things happening in my city but I dont expect everyone else to know about it cause its on my local news and its not something that is broadcast throughout the country.CNN is not gonna do a report on how great Omaha is and that they are getting a pedestrian bridge. I hope you see where Im coming from.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:48 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,997,727 times
These people in Omaha need to get over themselves. It's an ordinary Midwestern city that is decades away from potentially becoming a major regional center that is even on the same playing field as Kansas City or Indianapolis.

A single pedestrian bridge? That's hardly news unless the walk way is gold plated. They had those things in Hartford more than two decades ago and I also seem to recall the Twin Cities has several of them as well. While they serve a purpose during bad weather all they really serve to do is reduce the amount of pedestrian traffic on our sidewalks. I don't necessarily see that as a positive idea.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,272,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
These people in Omaha need to get over themselves. It's an ordinary Midwestern city that is decades away from potentially becoming a major regional center that is even on the same playing field as Kansas City or Indianapolis.

A single pedestrian bridge? That's hardly news unless the walk way is gold plated. They had those things in Hartford more than two decades ago and I also seem to recall the Twin Cities has several of them as well. While they serve a purpose during bad weather all they really serve to do is reduce the amount of pedestrian traffic on our sidewalks. I don't necessarily see that as a positive idea.

Don't care about the pedestrian bridge! You think that's all we got? NO! IN the last ten years we got our biggest skyscraper, the Qwest Center, The Slowdown, and plans for another skyscraper and a new downtown stadium for one of the most notable college championships in the world that Omaha has hosted for going on 60 years!

I'm not going to waste my breath proving my point, but I listen to person after person who comes here and loves it, there is no way it's all in my head. Ask any one of the thousands of fans who travel to Omaha year after year for the CWS. Or the families from surrounding states who vacation in Omaha, Or the thousands of investors who converge on the city yearly to hear Warren Buffet give his Berkshire Hathaway meeting.

Hear the news coverage, yesterday Omaha was a top story on CNN.com/US. Omaha is hosting Michael Phelps and the rest of the olympic hopefuls as we speak for the US swimming trials. Omaha has been lauded time after time by a variety of newspapers from the Chicago Sun-Times, to the New York Times, to yes even the Kansas City Star. Within the last couple months OAR(Of A Revolution) filmed a music video here. Last February American Idol broadcast it's Omaha Auditions, and someone who auditioned here won the whole thing.

All I ask is that you scrap your pre-conceived notions about Omaha and experience it first hand. Today, not ten years ago, because trust me when I say it is a completely different place. 62nd is an insult. No one who has been to Omaha recently would agree with that placement.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,160,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
62nd?!?!

ridiculous! Turn on NBC right now you'll see the Olympic Swimming Trials live from Omaha.
The Olympic swimming trials were in Indianapolis last weekend, you don't see me (or anyone in Indianapolis for that matter) flaunting that as a reason why Indy is relevant.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I have nothing against Omaha, I am just saying...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,997,727 times
Omaha is a legend in its own mind. It's an oversized village. Put your entire metro area in NYC or even Chicago and it is nothing more than a large suburb.

I don't have any preconceived notions about the place nor does anyone else. It's a growing metro area and has added a few new "toys" to its previously unexciting image but it still has a VERY LONG WAY to go before it can truly compete with larger metro areas. It compares favorably to similarly sized mid America metro areas like Tulsa, Memphis, OKC and Des Moines but that is all.

I'd like to add that all these things including American Midol (I can only take that show about once a month) don't make it a World Class City or even a major regional center. Most metro areas in this country can lay claim to similar attractions and host evens on par or exceeding that of those you have been over selling. They used to call Indianapolis "Indiananoplace" but over the last 20 years it has transformed itself into a very lively and highly competitive mid sized metro area. Omaha may reach that status in another 20 years but currently it is not even close to being on par with places like Columbus, Cincinnati or Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.