U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 PM

317 posts, read 823,245 times

Advertisements

I think it really just depends on who you are around and what you're exposed to. A lot of people say my accent is hard to find, if not non-existent at times, but I've been exposed to people all over and traveled quite a bit too. And I might have lost some of mine in vocal training too, but that's neither here nor there. Some of the southern "larger" cities are a little more diverse and carry different accents from people all over (definitely not all). And usually, the more rural a place is or further away from a major city, the less those people are exposed to different accents or ways of speaking than their own...and those areas can be the most "country" sounding of all.

I will say, RS-1080 said some things that I almost didn't understand above, and I'm southern. lol. For me, I do have some phrases that slip out every now and then...like RS-1080's "used to could", but that just isn't proper grammar from English's standards and rules, so I have to lose some of those incorrect grammar phrases in my world because I have always worked with people from different areas of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 PM

636 posts, read 899,581 times
If Ya'll ever see the movie Sling Blade, the kid in that movie tawks ( thats talk to some of ya'll ) about like some kids you'll hear in our kids school here.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,632,253 times
My son has a slightly detectable southern accent and my daughter has a very noticeable "country southren" accent. The difference is that my son is much more concerned with presenting himself 'properly', and my daughter doesn't care. She just lets that accent roll!! You wouldn't think they had grown up in the same town, let alone in the same household.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:44 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,566,707 times
Those are some interesting thoughts from everyone. I actually like a southern accent, especially from women, I think it sounds kind of sexy. I also agree that it shouldn't be something you need to get rid of, it's just your natural way of speaking. I don't like the fact that people who want to be television reporters and happen to be from the south are expected to change their accent to the average American accent if they want to become employed. The same thing is true for other regional accents like you'd find in New England or other places, a person with a strong Boston accent for example would have to change their accent just like a southerner would. I for one, happen to like the regional differences we have in this country which include various cultural or ethnic characteristics that make certain places unique and the way we speak is another one of them.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,659,000 times
I hate to admit that I was 20 or so before I saw "chest of drawers" in writing & a light bulb went off, it made all the sense in the world because for all those years I thought they were "chester drawers" LOL! it didn't take me long in the corporate world in Nashville to modify my accent not because I wanted to be a different person but in my office no one else was from the south & I didn't associate with people from "back home" anymore so it just kind of lessened over time. Also I realized half the things I said didn't make sense, others in my office were more than eager to point that out!

Old 07-04-2008, 04:29 PM

113 posts, read 239,159 times
When working at my first job down here me and this girl would go back and forth about our"accents". She was born and raised here in Murfreesboro and I was born and raised up in Western MA. The biggest one is 'yall' and I say 'you guys'. She told me she said 'you guys' once to her friends and they looked at her funny. Then there is 'wicked', now this one astonishes me. She said she had no idea what that meant and pointed it out every time I said it. I think its kind of fun listening to the different way people talk. Her mom actually gave me a little book called "Dictionary for Yankees and other uneducated people". It has the "southern" words and definitions. I thought it was funny.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:42 AM

636 posts, read 899,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_brnNrsd View Post
When working at my first job down here me and this girl would go back and forth about our"accents". She was born and raised here in Murfreesboro and I was born and raised up in Western MA. The biggest one is 'yall' and I say 'you guys'. She told me she said 'you guys' once to her friends and they looked at her funny. Then there is 'wicked', now this one astonishes me. She said she had no idea what that meant and pointed it out every time I said it. I think its kind of fun listening to the different way people talk. Her mom actually gave me a little book called "Dictionary for Yankees and other uneducated people". It has the "southern" words and definitions. I thought it was funny.

LOL, I'll have to hunt that book down,never seen it. I'd like to see just what all's in it.Know what I mean y'all? Oh, I reckon y'all do if y'alls raised in a hollar like me, right across the branch apiece

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 AM

603 posts, read 1,466,246 times
People in the northern states all sound different, too. It's subtle, but if you go from Michigan to Indiana to Illinois to Ohio and then to Minnesota, you will notice a slight difference in accents and diction. I've noticed it in the south and the east coast, too. I think people from Kentucky sound very different than people in Tennessee. And people from New Jersey talk differently from New Yorkers. It is very interesting.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 AM

408 posts, read 826,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
People in the northern states all sound different, too. It's subtle, but if you go from Michigan to Indiana to Illinois to Ohio and then to Minnesota, you will notice a slight difference in accents and diction. I've noticed it in the south and the east coast, too. I think people from Kentucky sound very different than people in Tennessee. And people from New Jersey talk differently from New Yorkers. It is very interesting.
Even within states. Minnesota Iron Rangers have a distinctly different inflection and vocabulary than people in the Cities (where even some neighborhoods accents are identifiable). A lot of it's ethnic -- the big rush of Scandinavian/German/Polish immigration was still going on only a hundred years ago.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:32 AM

4,679 posts, read 5,100,257 times
I lived in Florida for like 16 years and had the typical northern accent and moved to Tennessee for about a year. Went back to Florida and ended up having to work at a call-center, the woman that was the manager there was fromt NJ and actually told me that I wasn't cut out for telemarketing because no one would buy anything from someone with a hillbilly accent.

at first I was pissed off, then I was like, omg, I've got a Tennessee accent..

Personally, I think it's just who you're around alot, friends, co-workers, ect, ect. people subconciensly just pick things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.