Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times

Advertisements

What I think is strange is that the accents in the entire western part of the US with the exception of Texas and Oklahoma all sound the same. I grew up in Montana but people there sound just like people in New Mexico, Washington or any place else. I've lived and traveled all over the west and I can't detect the slightest difference. Someone mentioned some of the northern states. I've had a couple of friends from Michigan and certain words reminded me of a Canadian accent which I'm very familiar with. Did any of you ever watch the movie Fargo? The actors did this exaggerated imitation of a Minnesota accent which was pretty funny and I've talked to people from both North Dakota and Minnesota who really do sound like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM

9 posts, read 20,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Then why does my wife have a much more pronounced Southern accent than my sister-in-law when they were raised in the same house from birth, have the same parents, went to the same schools and have had similar life experiences? Makes no sense to me. Anyone have an explanation for it?

Perhaps she lived in another area at one point in her adult life and picked up parts of other accents she heard. Perhaps she liked an accent she heard from someone at school or a friend and picked parts of it out, subconsciously, and incorporated them into her mannerisms.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsands View Post
Perhaps she lived in another area at one point in her adult life and picked up parts of other accents she heard. Perhaps she liked an accent she heard from someone at school or a friend and picked parts of it out, subconsciously, and incorporated them into her mannerisms.
No, my wife never lived in a different area than her sister. Now the other factors you mentioned are possibilities.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:14 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,223 times
The accent of someone from Georgia and South Carolina aren't really the same. Also there are urban area accents like Atlanta or New Orleans that start to lose their southern quality and have distrinct sounds. Also a proper southern accent from a rich white person in Virginia whose ancestors owned plantations is going to be different than a poor farmer in Alabama.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,374 times
I probably will get blasted for saying this, but I have found that people that are more educated and of higher socioeconomic levels have minimal or no Southern accents. I am speaking of both native Southerners and transplants. Furthermore, in a professional, corporate white-collar environment, very few people have the Southern accent. Blue-collar people, however, have a higher tendency to have a thick Southern draw which can be almost impossible for me (a native Northerner) to understand. I apologize if I have offended anyone, but this is just my personal experience.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
I probably will get blasted for saying this, but I have found that people that are more educated and of higher socioeconomic levels have minimal or no Southern accents. I am speaking of both native Southerners and transplants. Furthermore, in a professional, corporate white-collar environment, very few people have the Southern accent. Blue-collar people, however, have a higher tendency to have a thick Southern draw which can be almost impossible for me (a native Northerner) to understand. I apologize if I have offended anyone, but this is just my personal experience.
Pretty much agree with this for the most part.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Pretty much agree with this for the most part.
I hear what you are saying but I respectfully disagree with you completely. I base my feeling on personal experience and having lived in the North ans South.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:47 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
Hmmm, is the higher socioeconomic level the cause, or the result, of not having a noticeable accent? Does this just go for Southern accents, or does it apply to all strong accents, such as a Brooklyn accent for instance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My son has a slightly detectable southern accent and my daughter has a very noticeable "country southren" accent. The difference is that my son is much more concerned with presenting himself 'properly', and my daughter doesn't care. She just lets that accent roll!! You wouldn't think they had grown up in the same town, let alone in the same household.
Geez, I'm quoting myself... but we are a blue collar family that places a high value on education. Do you suppose this accounts for our mixed results?
Although both kids are still in college, my son is much more ambitious career wise.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Hmmm, is the higher socioeconomic level the cause, or the result, of not having a noticeable accent? Does this just go for Southern accents, or does it apply to all strong accents, such as a Brooklyn accent for instance?

Geez, I'm quoting myself... but we are a blue collar family that places a high value on education. Do you suppose this accounts for our mixed results?
Although both kids are still in college, my son is much more ambitious career wise.
Dubble.... Food for thought! Good answer!!! I like answers that make you think.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 PM

395 posts, read 523,184 times
Yes, there are so many! My favorite accent is Virginia Tidewater- Richmonders speak this- but mostly only older ones. Its a very smooth way of talking- almost royal sound. And there is a lilt to it. You can hear it similar in Charleston, SC- CHAWWWLSTON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.