Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Despite the similarities in size, culture, and surrounding landscape, does Columbus really have that much more of the details that make a city a lively place, or is Indy just unfairly overlooked? If it's the latter, why is this the case?
I really think Indy is just over looked, Louisville in the South, Cincinnati and Columbus in the East, Detroit and Fort Wayne in the North East and Chicago in the North West, it really doesn't have enough room to grow because the people in the North, South and East have larger and closer options to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Despite the similarities in size, culture, and surrounding landscape, does Columbus really have that much more of the details that make a city a lively place, or is Indy just unfairly overlooked? If it's the latter, why is this the case?
Indianapolis is overlooked. Even before joining City-Data I heard more about Omaha than Indianapolis.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Thumbs down well what do you know, another poop head!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post

BTW - why are u posting maps of interstates, roads, etc. and meshing that in with the Indy culture header? Your culture is the convergence of roads & interstates? Hmmm

we can tell that your a looney! hmmmm

your totally missing the point, indianapolis was chossen by the US government because its central location, and they built all kinds of roads from across the state directing to Indianapolis, it was found around the year 1820, and thats its history, and thats why i say its culture revoles around the name, "circle city" and i was explaining why its called that. not hard to understand

Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I really think Indy is just over looked, Louisville in the South, Cincinnati and Columbus in the East, Detroit and Fort Wayne in the North East and Chicago in the North West, it really doesn't have enough room to grow because the people in the North, South and East have larger and closer options to go to.

Go Ne, indy is actually growing quite rapidly, especially the northern parts in hamilton county, carmel and fishers has grown about %20 each and they look like any suburban neighborhood you could find in just about any metropolitan area. the indianapolis metro is growing more than you realize, mostly because of the high tech growth. the city of Indianapolis is bigger than all of those cities you mentioned other than chicago and detroit

Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Well, according to wikipedia, its the eighth largest metro in the midwest, but, what I meant was, that they have other options that they are closer to so they wouldn't have to drive all the way to Indy, although suburban growth isn't the best thing, It would be better if you had downtown growth with Condos and apartments, or some new retail and restaurants down there too, local preferably.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
I'd rather visit Detroit than Indy. Detroit has better sports, better history, better music scene, better festivals, and a more interesting downtown. And this is from somebody that has actually been to both cities.....

ill agree that detroit has alot to offer especially the downtown and it is a little more exciting to visit, but i would much rather live in Indy mainly because of safer neighborhoods

Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Well, according to wikipedia, its the eighth largest metro in the midwest, but, what I meant was, that they have other options that they are closer to so they wouldn't have to drive all the way to Indy, although suburban growth isn't the best thing, It would be better if you had downtown growth with Condos and apartments, or some new retail and restaurants down there too, local preferably.
Indy does have growth downtown. But seriously, you didn't even know about our 2 fortune 500 companies, why are you in here talking like you have any idea about Indianapolis? You have demonstrated a couple of times that you don't have a clue.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:

ya theres no doubt that indy could reconstruct its downtown for better urban ivestment, ill agree with you on that, i just get a little ticked off when people say indy sucks because its flat or whatever of somesort, ill get that way if people say omaha sucks to.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Thanks, I would rep you, but it won't let me, and I agree with you, saying a city sucks because its flat is just stupid.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Indy does have growth downtown. But seriously, you didn't even know about our 2 fortune 500 companies, why are you in here talking like you have any idea about Indianapolis? You have demonstrated a couple of times that you don't have a clue.
A bit harsh isn't this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.