Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:33 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,656,678 times

Advertisements

No way it is, there's Chicago, the Twin Cities, Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Kansas City, Madison etc. that are all far better in terms of economy and have equal or greater living qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,519,961 times
It wouldn't have even been on my initial list if you asked me hat was the best

Old 06-29-2008, 06:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,392,604 times
Agree with Go Ne... Plus, define "best city in the Midwest"...
There are different sizes, areas...

Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 PM

909 posts, read 2,972,193 times
Thumbs up here we go again, another poop head!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
i hate to burst your bubble, but I would hardly say that Indianapolis is even close to the best city in the Midwest. In fact, it's one of the last cities on my list because it just doesn't seem as rich in culture nor as big as the other big cities. Plus, it's near no big bodies of water and completely flat. This is just my opinion, but I would have to say that Indy is just no match for other Midwestern cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, the Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland. these cities have peaked my interest far more than Indy. I'm just one person though. I actually would probably put Indianapolis and Columbus dead last together in terms of big cities in the Midwest.

i have to say a few words to ya. do you really think that St. Louis, Detroit, and Cleveland are better cities that Indy?? not to mention, those cities are some of the worst kind in crime, violence, drugs, and polution. i dont think you have even been indianapolis to say its the worst city. there is no worst city, most of all, WHO GIVES A ***** IF ITS FLAT!!!

Heres a definition of Indianapolis culture:
Much of Indy's culture is that its the circle city, and they have events at the soldiers and sailer monument every now and then. there is a circle around that monument, which also represents the center of the circle city, aka. crossroads of america. there are numberous amounts of all kinds of roads from just about every direction that center into idianapolis:

thats just "a few" of those roads, if you study a rand mcnally map of indiana, you will find more of those roads, from state routes, to US routes, to Interstate routes. railroads are the same way.

Indianapolis has a great sports culture aswell, we mostly forget about that, because hooseirs were known for their basketball for a long time, Indianapolis is known for the Indy 500 and the Indianapolis speedway. they even named a suburb called Speedway after that, which shows you that the city is strong on the Indy 500. pacers have some great history aswell, and to prove their great on sports, is that they bribed the Baltimore Colts to move to there city by building the 61,000 seat Hoosier Dome, later called RCA dome, and now their just finishing the brand new Lucas Oil Field which is a major improvement for the town because now they have a superbowl held there in the future, and you saw what the superbowl did to detroits downtown, since then, it is a much safer, more valuble place to visit.

heres some great pictures of Indianapolis as well:

http://home.indy.rr.com/adaquinoy/Images/indy_skyline.jpg (broken link)

how can you not be proud of that!!

Indianapolis also has one of the fastest growing economys that you just might not realize, their high tech industry growth is %8.6 and thats the highest in the nation, even above San Jose California!!!

so take that, wierd screename guy!!

answering the real question, Indy has to be close to the top of my list, its probably the 2nd under Chicago, because Indy has a great culture that nobody on this forum realizes.. its just a kind of its own

Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 PM

508 posts, read 1,505,351 times

Here is what I don't - why post the thread if you are going to get huffy when the responses are (not to most people's surprise) are not favorable to your view.

BTW - why are u posting maps of interstates, roads, etc. and meshing that in with the Indy culture header? Your culture is the convergence of roads & interstates? Hmmm

Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post

Indianapolis also has one of the fastest growing economys that you just might not realize, their high tech industry growth is %8.6 and thats the highest in the nation, even above San Jose California!!!
Really? Thats great for Indianapolis, I always thought its economy was stagnant.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post

thats just "a few" of those roads, if you study a rand mcnally map of indiana, you will find more of those roads, from state routes, to US routes, to Interstate routes. railroads are the same way.
Sorry, but you really set me up for this and I can't resist. Why Do those roads go AROUND Indianapolis hmmmmm? Just joking with you

Old 06-29-2008, 08:40 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,852,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post

Here is what I don't - why post the thread if you are going to get huffy when the responses are (not to most people's surprise) are not favorable to your view.

BTW - why are u posting maps of interstates, roads, etc. and meshing that in with the Indy culture header? Your culture is the convergence of roads & interstates? Hmmm
VisionQuest, who made the post showing the converging highways, is not the OP, so the question about why start the thread if the OP's going to be upset with disagreement doesn't fit. The idea of directing questions at the OP does relate to a question I have for the OP, which is why don't you list some of the reasons you like Indy. It might help further the discussion, and let people know some things they didn't know about Indy, if you added those thoughts.

AJF's statement about putting Indy and Columbus together at the bottom of the list points up something I've been wondering about for some time. That is, why, AJF's opinion, and all that flat countryside, notwithstanding, Columbus seems to be known as a growing city that has established itself as a vibrant place, yet I never get the impression that I hear so much of this kind of opinion about Indy. Despite the similarities in size, culture, and surrounding landscape, does Columbus really have that much more of the details that make a city a lively place, or is Indy just unfairly overlooked? If it's the latter, why is this the case?

Last edited by ogre; 06-29-2008 at 08:48 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 08:40 PM

334 posts, read 1,367,859 times
I'd rather visit Detroit than Indy. Detroit has better sports, better history, better music scene, better festivals, and a more interesting downtown. And this is from somebody that has actually been to both cities.....

Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,007,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Really? Thats great for Indianapolis, I always thought its economy was stagnant.
The Indianapolis region's economy has closely mirrored that of Columbus, OH for nearly 20 years. Both economies are well balanced in terms of having a variety of industries and they weather economic downturns much better than most USA metro areas including Omaha.

Indianapolis is also a very business friendly metro area. They also accept new ideas and business concepts very readily compared to many metro areas that I've lived and visited. And the transplants from Kentucky and Tennessee give it more of a southern flavor than many Midwestern metro areas.

Even though I am not a Flatlander, my personal opinion, having lived in Indianapolis for a half year is generally favorable. Probably the only thing I really didn't like was the rather poor air quality in the area. Aside from that I found the people much easier to get along with than my current home of Kansas City and most of Missouri and eastern Kansas. Overall it's a pretty decent Midwest metro area and I rate it as my third favorite behind Minneapolis and Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.