U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State with a true identity
New York 1 2.00%
Texas 22 44.00%
California 11 22.00%
Wyoming 4 8.00%
Tennessee 3 6.00%
Massachusetts 3 6.00%
New Jersey 4 8.00%
South Carolina 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:29 PM

835 posts, read 2,083,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
South Carolina: The first Confederate state that should tell you something about South Carolinians and state's rights. Home to quite a bit of Southern charm and great schools. South Carolina like the rest of the south is experiencing growth so it'll only get better.

See? They all have an identity.
I'm going to disagree. I think it'll get worse with growth. We won't have a true identity or Southern charm because of the growth.

BTW, While we do have some great schools, we are still 50th in academics.
Were you talking about colleges or public schools? I was talking about public schools.

Last edited by guestposter24; 06-29-2008 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm surprised that Hawaii and Louisiana are not on the poll. Hawaii is probably the most unique, followed by my vote here, Texas, but Louisiana also has a very unique culture.
Very true on both accounts!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 PM

59 posts, read 152,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
..BTW, While we do have some great schools, we are still 50th in academics.
Were you talking about colleges or public schools? I was talking about public schools.
I meant both. I've heard nice things about the public schools in South Carolina and I saw that the University of South Carolina was ranked one of the best public universities in the country.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,189,072 times
California and New York.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 AM

36 posts, read 115,961 times
Quote:
I'm going to disagree. I think it'll get worse with growth. We won't have a true identity or Southern charm because of the growth.
That's why I picked California.

I was going to pick Texas but there are
so many transplanted Californian.

Californians seem to go to other places and expect that place to be like Cali. (I'm so totally stereotyping here)
Whereas no one goes to California and expect Texas...although I'm sure that there are parts that are similar to Texas.

Good post.
How do you 'define' a city, state or country accurately?
Australian opinion about Americans? Esp. American migrants... - Page 4 - Hip Forums

Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblanket View Post
That's why I picked California.

I was going to pick Texas but there are
so many transplanted Californian.

Californians seem to go to other places and expect that place to be like Cali. (I'm so totally stereotyping here)
Whereas no one goes to California and expect Texas...although I'm sure that there are parts that are similar to Texas.

Good post.
How do you 'define' a city, state or country accurately?
Australian opinion about Americans? Esp. American migrants... - Page 4 - Hip Forums
You are stereotyping. I'm from Cali and never expected anyplace to be just like Cali. I'm sure other Californians agree, there's no place like Cali. Then when we decided to move from Ca, we chose a part of the country that would totally be different than Ca, so we ended up in Missouri.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
Is it the culture or the stereotype painted by Hollywood?

I mean, we all know NY is a filthy, crime-ridden enough to support 3 Law & Order shows and one CSI, expensive corrupt tax happy place where unions rule, people bastardize the English language and the elite media is so high up on its high horse that it gets nosebleeds just looking down at the little people in other states but that wouldn't be true of Oswego, Plattsburgh or Auburn, for example.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Strange poll, dont really know why I participated but I did.... I voted for TX. They have a very strong identity, and its known worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.