U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,067 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am sure there are many people that have asked this question already, but I am looking into specific cities.

I graduated this spring, with a degree in accounting. I am trying to get away from MN winters, and have narrowed my search down to:

- Atlanta, GA
- Fort Worth, TX
- Houston, TX
- Jacksonville, FL
- Phoenix, AZ

I would like to live someplace where people are generally happy with their living experience. I have no children, and don't care what the schools are like. I want it to be relatively safe, though I understand that dif't areas of any city will be safer. The job market is important, and I would like to live in an apartment.

Does anyone living in these areas have anything to tell me, positive or negative?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:03 PM

769 posts, read 2,011,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnracefan View Post
Hello,

I am sure there are many people that have asked this question already, but I am looking into specific cities.

I graduated this spring, with a degree in accounting. I am trying to get away from MN winters, and have narrowed my search down to:

- Atlanta, GA
- Fort Worth, TX
- Houston, TX
- Jacksonville, FL
- Phoenix, AZ

I would like to live someplace where people are generally happy with their living experience. I have no children, and don't care what the schools are like. I want it to be relatively safe, though I understand that dif't areas of any city will be safer. The job market is important, and I would like to live in an apartment.

Does anyone living in these areas have anything to tell me, positive or negative?

Thank you
Ha! I got info on all those places.

Atlanta , GA: Spread out; many ethnicities; many things to do; watch out for crime if you're a small town Minnesotan like me (); weather might be all right; some friendly people; financially segregated; and southern.

Fort Worth, TX: boring; sprawled; sociable people; lots and lots of asphalt; millions of Texas flags waving everywhere; and southern.

Houston, TX: see above.

Jacksonville, FL: huge; boring; nothing special; southern.

Phoenix, AZ: so hot Satan wouldn't live there; cranky people; road rage capital of America; suburban; sprawled; kinda skanky; and hopeless.

Hope you find the city you want. Oh, as far as jobs go Texas is best.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,729,036 times
About the weather:

Atlanta: like the Carolina Piedmont; four seasons, skewed toward a long, muggy summer, rather than a long, cold winter; very pleasant in spring and fall; mild but variable winters, with the occasional pleasantly cool or warm day, the occasional brief cold spell, a little snow here and there, sometimes an ice storm; generally milder climate than inland in the center of the country, but humid.

Jacksonville and Houston: mild winters, with a lot of pleasantly cool days, quite a few pleasantly warm days, and some occasional chilly weather, which may seem especially chilly because it's humid, so it causes the kind of dank chill that cuts into you; pleasant springs and falls; long, hot, HUMID, oppressive summers.

Phoenix: mild winters, with pleasant days and cool to moderately chilly nights; long, hot, hot, hot, dry baking hot, summers, except for a period of a few weeks with a lot of thunderstorms.

Fort Worth: four-seasons climate with more extremes of temperature than you'd find east of the Appalachians (as in Atlanta); very hot summers; variable winters, with warm, cool, and cold weather, ice storms, a little snow here and there; pleasant, temperate autumn weather; springs that are volatile, with a number of severe thunderstorms each year, but pleasant and temperate, like fall, the rest of the time.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 AM

283 posts, read 1,174,242 times
Default Houston-We Have No Problems

Click on these (4 links following) and read what Forbes, Business Week and some other magazines have to say about Houston. . . .

Best Cities For Recent College Grads - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2008/06/26/cities-grads-best-forbeslife-cx_ae_0626realestate.html - broken link)

Are You in the Best City for Your Job?

Best Cities to Live, Work and Play - Kiplinger.com

Houston, we have no problems. - By Daniel Gross - Slate Magazine

Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM

415 posts, read 391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Ha! I got info on all those places.

Atlanta , GA: Spread out; many ethnicities; many things to do; watch out for crime if you're a small town Minnesotan like me (); weather might be all right; some friendly people; financially segregated; and southern.

Fort Worth, TX: boring; sprawled; sociable people; lots and lots of asphalt; millions of Texas flags waving everywhere; and southern.

Houston, TX: see above.

Jacksonville, FL: huge; boring; nothing special; southern.

Phoenix, AZ: so hot Satan wouldn't live there; cranky people; road rage capital of America; suburban; sprawled; kinda skanky; and hopeless.

Hope you find the city you want. Oh, as far as jobs go Texas is best.
Lying is a sin.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,049,547 times
What! seems to be a bit off-base here...

Atlanta is the friendliest city I've visited in a while. It's really green and beautiful, and there are plenty of walkable neighborhoods (I like the town of Decatur).

Houston is really vibrant and has plenty to do. Great skyline. I wouldn't say that it's too extremely southern...a northerner would fit in just fine.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 AM

30 posts, read 120,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post

Phoenix, AZ: so hot Satan wouldn't live there

What!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM

23,085 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
What! seems to be a bit off-base here...

Atlanta is the friendliest city I've visited in a while. It's really green and beautiful, and there are plenty of walkable neighborhoods (I like the town of Decatur).

Houston is really vibrant and has plenty to do. Great skyline. I wouldn't say that it's too extremely southern...a northerner would fit in just fine.
The same can be said for Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or