U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,691 times

Advertisements

Just curious.....it it posible for an off-the-radar place to STILL exist, or are ALL the great places to live currently on top 10 lists?
Is it possible for someone to do their OWN research, and find a great place that ISN"T the top handful of HOT places that are clustered all over the web?
My opinion....all the great places are very much on the radar now......not all appear with REGULARITY on top 10 lists, but ample signs of them appear at least on SOME lists......or am wrong ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 10:07 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times
All that really comes with top ten lists are the bragging rights. Everyone has a city that fits them

Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,556,521 times
It happens all the time. Most of the people who make these lists don't really have a clue.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,528,780 times
It depends on what YOU like.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 PM

283 posts, read 1,173,998 times
Quote:
It happens all the time. Most of the people who make these lists don't really have a clue.
I mostly agree. I'd bet that most of those lists are geared to sell magazines more than anything else. Watch them change from year-to-year. "No. 1" this year will be nowhere to be seen (on that list) next year.

Quote:
Everyone has a city that fits them
Right. Some people might want 4 distinct seasons. Some might want to play golf year round. Honestly, you can't have it all unless maybe you're retired or rich enough to move with the seasons. Former President and Mrs. Bush spend most of the year in Houston but head for the northeast (Walker point on Cape Cod) when summer rolls around.

Quote:
Is it possible for someone to do their OWN research, and find a great place that ISN"T the top handful of HOT places that are clustered all over the web?
I'd make this (OWN research) my No. 1 priority rather than depending on those lists, especially visiting and spending as much time as possible in those cities that might interest you. Of course, not everybody has that option. Many have no choice but must go where they can land a job.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,618,404 times
It probably deals with whatever cities throw the most money at Forbes that year. I'm glad my town never shows up on those things. All we need is even more people from California running over here once they find out how cheap the housing is compared to there.

No offense to you guys in Cali, I have a lot of friends from there...I'm just saying..

Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
(Quote from Eastender) Right. Some people might want 4 distinct seasons. Some might want to play golf year round. Honestly, you can't have it all unless maybe you're retired or rich enough to move with the seasons. Former President and Mrs. Bush spend most of the year in Houston but head for the northeast (Walker point on Cape Cod) when summer rolls around.

***The Bush family has a large residence in SW Maine. Kennebunkport I believe. That is their primary home away from home. Bush was born in New Haven, CT and his father, I believe was born in in the Boston area. Prescott Bush, GHWB's Grandfather was a Senator from Connecticut.

The Kennedy family hangs out on Cape Cod.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 PM

283 posts, read 1,173,998 times
Quote:
WILWRadio said: ***The Bush family has a large residence in SW Maine. Kennebunkport I believe.
You are right. My mistake. I'll be visiting those places when the weather cools so better get my bearings straight before coming.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM

909 posts, read 2,704,505 times
that is a great question handyman, because these top 10 lists are getting out of hand, because it basically symbolizes that this city is better than yours because you suck... i guess im guilty for that a few times, but heres some example threads that have gone a way to far..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...state-why.html

Poll: The best U.S state?

Does anyone think that Indy is the best city in the midwest besides the people who live there?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...o-s-rival.html

Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
well yea, its very possible. Many smaller towns/cities are under the radar. For Example, I love to show off Frederick on here (hehe) but it never makes national top 10 lists, not for best small cities, not for best downtown, not anything. But sometimes I view this as a good thing because if it were to be exposed, if would lose its...its thing. And Sometimes things are best kept secrets, or they won't be gems anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.