U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:11 AM

17 posts, read 28,005 times

Advertisements

Seeing as I live here and have had 5 murders happen within a 3 block radius of my home in the last 3 weeks...I am going vote Detroit as the most dangerous city in the Midwest. CNN has coined it the most dangerous city in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 PM

902 posts, read 2,441,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
People, St Louis has NOTHING on Detroit! The only reason STL makes the most dangerous list is they only count a very small population. If they measured STL like every other city in the country, we wouldn't break the top 50 most dangerous! They only count an area of 350,000 people, in a metro of over three million. In that area of 350,000 is North STL, which is where the majority of the crime takes place. The central corridor and south side are for the most part vibrant, safe neighborhoods.
The city of St. Louis is measured just as any other city proper is, metro population is different.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 PM

902 posts, read 2,441,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCuzImMe View Post
Seeing as I live here and have had 5 murders happen within a 3 block radius of my home in the last 3 weeks...I am going vote Detroit as the most dangerous city in the Midwest. CNN has coined it the most dangerous city in the world.
I have never heard that one before, it isn't nearly as bad as some foreign countries, albeit for a US city it is BAD.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 PM

24 posts, read 54,057 times
The top three probably are St. Louis, Detroit, and Cleveland. Chicago, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Kansas City in some order are next. Indianapolis and Columbus are likely without a doubt the safest large cities in the Midwest.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,726,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
The city of St. Louis is measured just as any other city proper is, metro population is different.
The thing is, a LOT of folks think that the whole STL metro area is like that, when in fact its the City of St Louis.....St Louis County is a whole different entity from the City, with much lower crime stats.
A lot of folks dont know that one little difference, and lump the 2 together.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,704,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The thing is, a LOT of folks think that the whole STL metro area is like that, when in fact its the City of St Louis.....St Louis County is a whole different entity from the City, with much lower crime stats.
A lot of folks dont know that one little difference, and lump the 2 together.
Same thing with Cleveland and a lot of areas. The truth is that most of Cleveland suburbs are very safe. The dangerous areas are in the city of Cleveland, East Cleveland, Lorain, Elyria, several smaller eastside suburbs, Akron and Canton (which will now be part of the Cleveland metro). There's 100+ other cities/suburbs and communities in the Cleveland metro which are very safe.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM

14 posts, read 20,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Another point, is that statistically speaking, you are in far more danger of becoming a fatal victim of an automobile accident in an auto-centric suburb than you are likely to be murdered by a stranger while walking through Detroit or Gary. Thus the true most dangerous city in the midwest is probably some tiny exurb nobody has ever heard of built with low density housing and many fast four lane roads.

Contrary to popular belief, exurbs more dangerous than cities

Chicagoland is that big autocentic suburb.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 AM

66 posts, read 163,049 times
Minneapolis has come a long ways regarding murders, i moved there in 1985 from waterloo, iowa and i was like, you mean to tell me that little ol waterloo has more murders then minneapolis,althoug waterloo has since calmed down,however they will still put some hot ones in you,send you back to yo big city with tag on toe. tru story.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:40 PM

570 posts, read 1,814,010 times
There are no dangerous cities. Only dangerous areas.
Generalizing never leads to the whole truth.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,169,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo-iowa View Post
Minneapolis has come a long ways regarding murders, i moved there in 1985 from waterloo, iowa and i was like, you mean to tell me that little ol waterloo has more murders then minneapolis,althoug waterloo has since calmed down,however they will still put some hot ones in you,send you back to yo big city with tag on toe. tru story.

According to the New York Times Minneapolis is "Murderapolis"

Meh, but MPLS has changed a lot since the 96 murders of 1996 or whatever it was.

Maybe because I am from there (area) but I never ever ever feel unsafe in MPLS, but that's just because I know where to go and where NOT to be.
Most inner city crime is thug on thug crime, neighborhood crime(break-ins are typically friends, family or neighbors), gang crime (gangs vs gangs) or stupidity crime (drunk 19 yr old U of M student walking alone in a sketchy neighborhood at 3 am)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.