Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 8,079 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move next year. It will just be me and my animals (a few dogs, some reptiles, etc). I have absolutely no idea where to go. I do know that I do not want to live in Florida, I've lived there my whole life.

I'm looking for a town that has lots to do and has a lot of animal-related activities. I'm hoping to become a veterinarian, and need the internship experience, but I'd rather avoid cities where the competition would be really stiff.

I used to live in a small, rural town that I loved. It was its own little world and everything was close and modern, in its own way, but with barely any people. I'd be fine with another place like that.

I'm looking for lowish prices, but I'm not broke and really don't need much. My animals take up the most room. I'm hoping for some land with some type of solid house, a stall barn, and I can build the stall barn.

Weather wise, I hate places where it rains all the time, deserts, really swampy (I can deal with it though), not a big fan of beaches/lakes, and I'd prefer a place where the winter is not disastrous (because of my animals), but I don't really mind cold weather.

I'd really love a place that is horse friendly, maybe even as transportation ? I'm very much into environmentally friendly transportation options, so it would be nice to have some sort of road to drive on or even a basic transportation system, but it's fine if it doesn't.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please, express them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:57 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Maybe NW Arkansas?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Maybe NW Arkansas?
Thanks for replying. Do you have any specific towns/cities in mind? What is it like there?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Never been to that particular part of the state. I do know it's rather beautiful in the mountains and should be very cheap, the only towns I know of are Fayetteville and Rogers.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Maybe places in KY like Murray, Richmond and Morehead could work, as all of them are small college towns in a state that loves its horses.

In NY, perhaps small towns outside of Saratoga Springs like Corinth, Schuylerville and Ballston Spa could fit. It is another area where horse racing is pretty big.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
You sound a lot like another poster who came to the TN forums a while back
Maybe scanning a few of her posts might give you some ideas.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=4396932

Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
There are two very horse-friendly towns in SC that come to mind, Camden and Aiken, both of which are small towns with a good bit to do within their borders and larger neighboring cities (Columbia for Camden, Augusta, GA for Aiken). And I'm not sure exactly what sorts of animal-related activities you're referring to, but both are in decent driving distance to Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,530 times
Perhaps somewhere in the vicinity of Richmond, Indiana. It has some small colleges, and there are Amish not too far to the west if you're serious about using a horse and buggy as transportation, so there is nearby infrastructure for buggy repair.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks for all the opinions. Could some people give more insight into what the life is like in those areas?

And by animal-activities, I just mean general animal activities. For example, in Florida, we have the horse capitol in Ocala, tons of reptile shows and breeders, huge dog show circuit, quite a few major zoos, agriculture is strong, etc.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingforev View Post
Thanks for all the opinions. Could some people give more insight into what the life is like in those areas?

And by animal-activities, I just mean general animal activities. For example, in Florida, we have the horse capitol in Ocala, tons of reptile shows and breeders, huge dog show circuit, quite a few major zoos, agriculture is strong, etc.
Ahhh, I see. Well I mentioned the zoo in Columbia, SC, which is in decent driving distance to Camden and Aiken. Both are smaller towns in counties neighboring a midsized city. It's a slow pace of life and you wouldn't have to drive far for basic amenities in either city. I would recommend starting threads specifically in the SC forum (or the Augusta, GA forum for Aiken) to get more specific information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.