Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job before a move: PO box, resume, states regulations, interviews, short-term rental

Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM

126 posts, read 619,172 times

Advertisements

It seems like it's so much easier to stay in the city you're in, even if you really really want to get out and live in another part of the country for awhile. You're already in the area for interviews and so on, you know the state's regulations for your job, you might have connections, you can find out a company's rep easier. You know the economic conditions and you might even have chosen a career because it's really booming in your area.

All that said, how do you actually make a move happen? Do you just pick somewhere and find a hotel room, maybe get a PO box for resumes, or find a short-term rental and kind of hope for the best? Can you really have a job lined up before a move? DH put on a resume that he was interested in working in Oregon; they started talking to him until they found out he was in Denver and would need to move, and then refused to respond to his e-mails. We were totally prepared to move.

It just seems so much EASIER to stay put!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 AM

95 posts, read 184,734 times
Default moving

I'm going to reply to this just to keep it up there where people will read it. My bf and I want to move to Virginia and we've been wondering the same thing.
My guess is:
a) research where you think you want to go
b) visit it and see if you like it
Now the part I'm confused about is- say you like it. However, you don't have $$ to waste. Do you move in hopes of a job or job hunt first and then how do you interview when you live in another place.
Somebody else that's done it tell us how it goes!!!
Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,896,706 times
If you're happy where you are, and sticking around is an option...then why not stay put?

I get the idea of wanting to try something new, but there doesn't seem to be any point if it's going to cause this much hardship. And you're already in a good position where you are. The thing is - with the economy as it is, moving is a major risk if you aren't guaranteed a job. Because jobs are hard to find in new cities.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 8,614 times
This question really intrigued me! Thanks for asking, and here are my thoughts:

My husband and I are going through the same thought process right now. We're struggling with how it *feels* easier to stay put, yet our town does not offer the job opportunity I now seek after getting my master's. Plus, we've lived here our ENTIRE lives (well since I was 4), and boy do we need a change (we're in our late 20's). All that said, what I think makes the leap to a new place doable for most people (without kids) is to save and save for that particular purpose, since getting a job outside of your local area or state is hard depending on your expertise or field. Save enough to live off of for 3 months, plus some left over in the bank :-) Then while saving, do A LOT of research and some trips to different places. Husband and I were lucky since we had already done a cross country road trip, and had done several other road trips to various places/cities, and we have family in various parts of the country to give us a sense of what it is to live in a certain area. Well, that's just my take on it. I'm finding myself falling back into the "well it just seems easier to stay here" but I know I'll regret it if I do. I just have to keep repeating that to myself, I guess.

The last thing I would suggest is letting it all sink in for about 4-6 months, because 6 months ago I was NOT even thinking about the place we are going to move to now. I wasn't letting my true desires and likes/dislikes decide where we might move, we were too stuck in trying to stay near family but I'm sick of living my life for other people and for a few years at least, it would be nice to be somewhere else.

My concern is this, though: we are both college educated, me with a master's and my husband with a BS and a unique skill set and experience in the world of tech startups, and I constantly get differing opinions on how hard it is to find a job once you move somewhere. The last comment just indicated it is hard to find jobs in new cities, but I was just reading a lot on here last night and people were like "oh no problem finding job once you get somewhere new"! So I'm not sure what to think? Most seem to say it works out!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,716,741 times
Our first big move was from San Diego to Missouri. We did tons of research on the area and then my husband started contacting dealerships in the area (he's in RV's) and one flew him out to interview, hired him, and moved us out there.
We decided before we left, that we would committ to a year to our new place, before we can decide to move back "home". We wanted to be fair and give our new home a fair shot. I had some homesickness in the beginning (was pregnant and the humidity of summer was killing me!) but once I got settled, I loved it! We've been gone since 2001.
Since Missouri, we got relocated down to Georgia. My husband had a contact who offered him a position down here. Now we are relocating to Va. Same thing, another contact with a great offer/opportunity!
Just start networking with people from your line of work and go from there!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:11 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,716,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Hope View Post
I'm going to reply to this just to keep it up there where people will read it. My bf and I want to move to Virginia and we've been wondering the same thing.
My guess is:
a) research where you think you want to go
b) visit it and see if you like it
Now the part I'm confused about is- say you like it. However, you don't have $$ to waste. Do you move in hopes of a job or job hunt first and then how do you interview when you live in another place.
Somebody else that's done it tell us how it goes!!!
Thanks.

I'd never move without A) first having a job in the new location and B) definatley work out a relo package with the new company. We have never paid out of pocket for a move. It's just too risky in my opinion, especially with children. Not sure if you have kids, but I have 4. Have to have the stability already in place before we even consider the offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.