U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 03:04 PM

38 posts, read 90,877 times

Advertisements

I currently live around Birmingham, Alabama but I'm graduating from school in about a year and I'm looking at Graduate schools and location is very important for me.

I'm looking for a medium sized to large city that is very art oriented, diverse and progressive with open minded people. I'm looking for a good MFA program in studio art. I need to live somewhere that is going to be kind of affordable. I'd like to find a place that is within a days driving distance from Birmingham, so possibly in the South. But if anyone has any suggestions outside of the South, I'm open. Good public transit would definitely be a plus. Pet-friendly. Plenty of things to do for young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,730,437 times
I'm not sure which colleges offer the degree you're pursuing, but provided that there are colleges there that have what you're looking for, the first place that comes to mind is Atlanta.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,758,215 times
I would take a trip to New Orleans and see if that would suit you. It isn't for everyone, but it fits your description well.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
looks to be dominated by NE schools - which isn't that surprising

virginia commonwealth seems to be ranked pretty highly - University of GA makes an appearance as well - so does UT Knoxville

LSU, Clemson & George Mason are all in the top 100 as well

Fine Arts - Best Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

looks like they also have breakouts as well per program

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,050,128 times
In the south, New Orleans would be a good bet. Maybe Atlanta.

Asheville, NC would be a good one too. Although a bit small.

If you're willing to look outside of the south, maybe Portland/Seattle.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 AM

11,882 posts, read 32,920,559 times
MEMPHIS (believe it or not)

Memphis College of Art is a highly respected school with a good MFA program: Memphis College of Art

Memphis has a hip downtown with good public transportation and lots of studios and galleries.

http://www.memphistravel.com/!userfiles/media/image-library/brooks2003.jpg (broken link)

http://www.memphiswallpaper.com/pics/trolley1024.jpg (broken link)

Pics taken from Google Images

Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM

38 posts, read 90,877 times
Thanks. I haven't been able to find a list that long before.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM

134 posts, read 396,872 times
Smile Have you checked out Atlanta?

It seems like Atlanta would be a good place for you.
  1. It's not far from Birmingham at all, it's just a couple of hours away, if that.
  2. Atlanta and Art definitely go together in a huge way.
  3. There are some great areas to live in that you might love like around Piedmont Park (here's a link about the Dogwood Festival at Piedmont Park Atlanta Dogwood Festival | Arts Festival | Free Spring Festival), or maybe the Midtown Area, or Virgina Highlands Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia, or over there by the big IKEA store just before you get into downtown Atlanta right off of I-75 there are a ton of new condo's/apt's/studio's that look really nice, or maybe in the Lenox Mall area, Buckhead, or Colony Square, and I know that there are many more I just can't think of them right now. I haven't ever lived near downtown, but I did used to live about 30 minutes north of Atlanta.
  4. Maybe you could Google the Atlanta area for schools that offer a good MFA program in fine art and then look at places to live that are convenient to your school and a great place to live.
Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or