U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,456,915 times

Advertisements

did it take you when you moved to get over it?
Or... did you ever get over it?

What were symptoms?

I am not sure if this is an adjustment period or full blown homesickness..

it seems to happen when a memory triggers a fond moment or situation that happened when I was a kid and then I am reminded that things are so different today. and I wonder if the place I left as a kid is still the same place or if it changed "with the times"..

I hear so often of folks who went back and didn't recognize it anymore..that place only exists now in one's memory...

anyone move back and regret the move?

Lastly - how long did it take for your new home to feel "like home"?

which is odd because you can't PICK the town you were born in..yet we forgive it it's sins because it's home....we get to pick anywhere to live and we give it a hard time because it's NOT like our home....

Do you think more people move due to jobs or finances or weather?
If you moved due to any of the above, how much attention was given to the culture you'd find yourself in?

are there certain times of the year that the impetus to move back is strongest? I think holidays, but for me it's always the fall and back to school time when I seem to miss my old digs...

Lastly- do you have more than one place you get homesick for?

I miss our old summer house more than the one we moved to when I was 12.

I took a trip back to my old town a few years ago and visited the houses I lived in and took pictures of them - it was so strange that so little had changed - the trees we planted we so tall, and the picket fence we put up was still there...it was like we still lived there or part of us was still there...

I was glad I did it...it was nice to see the fruits of our labor still intact.

Any comments or shared experiences are appreciated!

12b

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,449,250 times
i think we tend to romance things as well - especially what was done when we were younger

sometimes i look back and wish I had some of those things - but there is always a reason i moved and even upon visiting i'm reminded of those reasons

so while I miss those days as a kid where I'd run through the brightly colored woods by my house with that nice autumn crispness - fresh air and carefreee - i wish my kids would be able to experience that when I have some

however, the flip side to that are the days our family struggled with the local economy, driving 45 minutes to watch a movie, etc .......... if I stay in my current house I could walk with a kid to watch spring training etc

you give and take sometimes - but nostalgia is good for what it is, not bad to have pleasant memories

Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,634,248 times
I was 44 years old when we moved to Arkansas from my home state of Idaho. I'll admit, I frequently wished I were still back in Idaho. I don't think I had 'homesickness', but a lot of nostalgia, and sometimes....downright anger.

But we have been here 31 years, and the last 10 or so I have not regretted our move, and no longer wish to go back, except for a visit.

Of course, 20 years is a pretty long time to have second thoughts.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i think we tend to romance things as well - especially what was done when we were younger

sometimes i look back and wish I had some of those things - but there is always a reason i moved and even upon visiting i'm reminded of those reasons

so while I miss those days as a kid where I'd run through the brightly colored woods by my house with that nice autumn crispness - fresh air and carefreee - i wish my kids would be able to experience that when I have some

however, the flip side to that are the days our family struggled with the local economy, driving 45 minutes to watch a movie, etc .......... if I stay in my current house I could walk with a kid to watch spring training etc

you give and take sometimes - but nostalgia is good for what it is, not bad to have pleasant memories

I see your handle is fingerlake - may I ask .is that your heritage?
if so I fully understand your beautiful words....the finger lakes are indeed something to behold... I summered on Lake George, driven thru that area many times - Canandaigua, etc....a friend of mine wants to retire there! I wish I liked snow....is there a finger lakes of the south?

thanks for the post...memories are indeed strong stuff and hard to shake..
or maybe it's because the future is so scary sometimes!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I was 44 years old when we moved to Arkansas from my home state of Idaho. I'll admit, I frequently wished I were still back in Idaho. I don't think I had 'homesickness', but a lot of nostalgia, and sometimes....downright anger.

But we have been here 31 years, and the last 10 or so I have not regretted our move, and no longer wish to go back, except for a visit.

Of course, 20 years is a pretty long time to have second thoughts.
wow that took a long time to adjust! .....I left my hometown right after college...what made you angry? that you had to move and face adjustment?

thanks for your thoughts...12b

Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,449,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I see your handle is fingerlake - may I ask .is that your heritage?
if so I fully understand your beautiful words....the finger lakes are indeed something to behold... I summered on Lake George, driven thru that area many times - Canandaigua, etc....a friend of mine wants to retire there! I wish I liked snow....is there a finger lakes of the south?

thanks for the post...memories are indeed strong stuff and hard to shake..
or maybe it's because the future is so scary sometimes!
yeah - that's where I grew up - right off Keuka Lake - have since lived in Philly, DE, Mpls, Denver, London & now Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.