U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city will continue to attract more and more people?
New York 23 23.23%
Houston 27 27.27%
Atlanta 10 10.10%
Las Vegas 5 5.05%
Mesa, AZ 1 1.01%
Nashville, TN 3 3.03%
Santa Fe, NM 0 0%
Phoenix, AZ 7 7.07%
Glendale, CA 1 1.01%
Henderson, NV 0 0%
Austin, TX 11 11.11%
San Antonio, TX 3 3.03%
Chandler, AZ 1 1.01%
Charlotte, NC 5 5.05%
San Jose, CA 2 2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,528,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
How is the low cost of energy superfluous when it was what lead to building sprawling freeways surrounding cities like Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta? Cities such as these epitomized the automobile age in being able to drive around endlessly when the supply of oil seemed endless. Those days are long gone, however -- and my point refers to what can potentially happen in the aftermath.

You're correct that the low cost-of-living and friendly business atmosphere resulting in job growth is what attracted transplants. However, with business incentives being offered in cities all over the country and cost-of-living -- such as transportation, utilities, food prices -- all being significantly affected by oil, then the topic low energy costs with regard to the Sun Belt is certainly not "superfluous."
When one has to spend most of your income on rent... Housing is a major factor of relocation and when your job can't afford your housing--your housing can't afford your job. In my opinion, it's a much more feasible option to move to some place car-less then homeless. In any case, if cheap energy is a factor, the Sun Belt would be receiving similar utilities, food prices and transportation at a lower rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 12:28 PM

4,448 posts, read 7,515,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
When one has to spend most of your income on rent... Housing is a major factor of relocation and when your job can't afford your housing--your housing can't afford your job. In my opinion, it's a much more feasible option to move to some place car-less then homeless. In any case, if cheap energy is a factor, the Sun Belt would be receiving similar utilities, food prices and transportation at a lower rate.
Right -- and I'm going as far as to say that the advantage of "cheap energy" the Sun Belt once had has virtually vanished. So, I don't think we're in disagreement here, it's just maybe how I phrased it came off differently.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,528,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Right -- and going as far as to say that the advantage of "cheap energy" the Sun Belt once had has virtually vanished. So, I don't think we're in disagreement here, it's just maybe how I phrased it came off differently.
You are right, the once wide margin has decreased.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:17 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,394,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Chicago, IL
Yes.

You really limited the city choices, leaving out some key cities with major growth. Why list Chandler, Mesa and Pheonix?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,328,134 times
Well, its not on the poll, but I think Los Angeles is attracting more people as the population is growing.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,139,446 times
New York. Always.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,046,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Well, its not on the poll, but I think Los Angeles is attracting more people as the population is growing.
It's more Riverside than LA these days.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 AM

3,738 posts, read 8,680,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I can't say that I agree with you there. Unless Chicago can gets its act together and stop doing asinine things like having the highest sales tax in the nation (yes, starting today, we do ), then I don't see that to be the case anytime before we clean political house (they all need to go at this point, I gave Daley a fair shot for years, and yes, even liked him in the beginning, but he needs to go too).

I predict that medium sized cities with good public transportation systems (given the cost of gas) and low crime will be the fastest growing cities of the future.
I didn't mean just Chicago city proper, but the metro area. Naperville, Aurora, Bolingbrook, Orland Park, etc. are growing pretty fast. For those who don't like Chicago's city tax they don't have to move across country, they can move to the suburbs in counties like Dupage and Will where taxes are cheaper.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:46 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,757,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I predict that medium sized cities with good public transportation systems (given the cost of gas) and low crime will be the fastest growing cities of the future.
I agree with this...my pick is for Denver, although it isn't on this list.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,863,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I didn't mean just Chicago city proper, but the metro area. Naperville, Aurora, Bolingbrook, Orland Park, etc. are growing pretty fast. For those who don't like Chicago's city tax they don't have to move across country, they can move to the suburbs in counties like Dupage and Will where taxes are cheaper.
Those areas are growing due to ex-urban sprawl, which in an era of cheap gas and energy was possible. I'm not sure that is the case now. It is becoming more and more difficult for people to commute long distances to work, shopping, school, etc. than it has in the past. It is also becoming more and more difficult for people to heat and cool some of the larger houses that are so common in such ex-urban areas. Some of the areas you are referring to are 35-40 miles from downtown Chicago, in smaller cities, the 'suburbs' are much less far away, and I don't see families moving into urban areas unless issues of the public school system (lets face it Chicago's schools are dismal at best unless you are one of the lucky ones who gets into a good magnet school), crime, and housing costs are addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or