U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What city will continue to attract more and more people?
New York 23 23.23%
Houston 27 27.27%
Atlanta 10 10.10%
Las Vegas 5 5.05%
Mesa, AZ 1 1.01%
Nashville, TN 3 3.03%
Santa Fe, NM 0 0%
Phoenix, AZ 7 7.07%
Glendale, CA 1 1.01%
Henderson, NV 0 0%
Austin, TX 11 11.11%
San Antonio, TX 3 3.03%
Chandler, AZ 1 1.01%
Charlotte, NC 5 5.05%
San Jose, CA 2 2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 390,904 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You know what i mean.That was the actual term that the pundits use to describe how the cities in the U.S. went through serious decline,hence the rise of suburbia.I admit I don't hear that as much as i use to hear it maybe 8years ago.You're young some thing may seem foreign to you but fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday.
I know all about white flight. It was just funny how you exclude the time when Atlanta was losing people to make your point.

Anyway, white flight won't hurt the City of Atlanta anymore. A lot of gentrification there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM
 
Location: mn
305 posts, read 886,042 times
Reputation: 125
First of all you dont even have a Minnesota city on the list? How come? No fair!! Lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:01 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
263 posts, read 732,837 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
True there are a few Western cities in the NW that get enough rain to have a stable water and good growing season, but Las Vegas, Phoenix, LA, etc don't. Those places depend on food being shipped in from the Eastern US , meaning any break in the transportation system would be devastating for food prices.
Food into Los Angeles comes mainly from the San Joaquin Valley, the most diversified growing region in the world. Los Angeles has an abundance of selection and quantity. Food in the nation travels eastward from California and the West. Censusdata huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 390,904 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
Food into Los Angeles comes mainly from the San Joaquin Valley, the most diversified growing region in the world. Los Angeles has an abundance of selection and quantity. Food in the nation travels eastward from California and the West. Censusdata huh?
Most diversified growing region? What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 AM
 
583 posts, read 1,139,754 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Yeah, JMT. I've noticed that happening. More major businesses are moving to the suburbs to be closer to where people live. Suburbs are becoming mini-cities themselves with their own downtowns and everything.
I don't know if I'd agree with that. I noticed that businesses move their offices to where it's cheaper, not necessarily where it's more convenient for their workers. I actually noticed the opposite, some companies would move the offices further into the exurbs although very few workers would actually live there to start with, but then eventually, the residential builders would move in and the sprawl would get worse. I doubt that most of the workers of any given company having a campus in suburb X would all leave in that same suburb X. A good portion of them would live in other suburbs that might actually be pretty far away or in the city. Businesses moving to the suburbs aren't even concerned with whether the places they move into have any public transportation lines. Washington DC is a good example of that and traffic in that place is not a piece of pie and this is actually an area with very well developed public transportation. Why is this happening? Because some major office parks in the area aren't near the metro lines at all. Doubt the businesses that sprawled out into the farm land (I've worked at a couple of these places) really had their worker's commutes in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 AM
 
583 posts, read 1,139,754 times
Reputation: 323
The places that will continue to attract people are the places with jobs that are well paying and well diversified, so I voted for NYC. I guess, because this place always has and always will be attracting people even despite the cost of living.

Another contender from the ones on the list is Atlanta. This place has a very good and well diversified job market, the busiest airport in the world and also the cost of living is very affordable. I am not going to deny the problems this place has and being not a big fan of sprawl I don't necessarily approve the 'way' that Atlanta has grown. But I think this place has a great future although it needs work.

I would also add Chicago to the list. I think this place is becoming more an more popular even despite the terribly cold winters. I know a few people who have moved there or are thinking about it.

Question to the OP: Why did you choose not to include places like Bay Area, Seattle, LA, Washington DC, Chicago, San Diego, Denver, Dallas etc. these places have been attracting people as well, I seem the the poll is pretty one sided "NYC vs. Sunbelt". NYC does look weird on that poll without including all the other large metro areas because NYC is actually more expensive than all these areas. So, I wondered if your poll has to do with the cost of living, but NYC threw me off..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 AM
 
Location: Houston
415 posts, read 390,904 times
Reputation: 41
It is sometimes good to move companies into the core of a city and not the suburbs. Take Houston and its radial layout for example. If a company was located in Downtown, it would be more accessible to the workers that live to the north (The Woodlands), South (Clear Lake), Southwest (Sugar Land), etc. All parts of the metro area could reach it easily.

Now, if a company moves to the suburbs, only that particular side of the metro area will benefit. I think companies have a larger talent pool if they stay in the city core.

I agree with KT about the city choices. Come on now, Henderson, NV and Mesa, AZ over Dallas, Bay Area, LA, DC, etc. Consider me confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 AM
 
583 posts, read 1,139,754 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
It is sometimes good to move companies into the core of a city and not the suburbs. Take Houston and its radial layout for example. If a company was located in Downtown, it would be more accessible to the workers that live to the north (The Woodlands), South (Clear Lake), Southwest (Sugar Land), etc. All parts of the metro area could reach it easily.

Now, if a company moves to the suburbs, only that particular side of the metro area will benefit.
Exactly. I can give examples of other metro areas where suburban campuses contributed negatively to sprawl and made commute of the workers worse. Suburban campuses are often designed for car commuters and are not pedestrian friendly. So, even once they become connected by public transportation (like, for example, Pleasanton in Bay Area) they are still not easily walkable from the train station because the campuses themselves are sprawled out - they occupy low rise buildings and have sometimes giant parking lots instead of multiple-level garages. Companies would have to provide shuttles for their employees to get them to the office from the train station and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,529,520 times
Reputation: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
Question to the OP: Why did you choose not to include places like Bay Area, Seattle, LA, Washington DC, Chicago, San Diego, Denver, Dallas etc. these places have been attracting people as well, I seem the the poll is pretty one sided "NYC vs. Sunbelt". NYC does look weird on that poll without including all the other large metro areas because NYC is actually more expensive than all these areas. So, I wondered if your poll has to do with the cost of living, but NYC threw me off..
Well, I think the Bay Area and Chicagoland may be growing, but people have been moving out of SF and Chicago for quite I while I think, but there does seem to be an odd selection available. Darned polls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,396,810 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
I would also add Chicago to the list. I think this place is becoming more an more popular even despite the terribly cold winters. I know a few people who have moved there or are thinking about it.

Question to the OP: Why did you choose not to include places like Bay Area, Seattle, LA, Washington DC, Chicago, San Diego, Denver, Dallas etc. these places have been attracting people as well, I seem the the poll is pretty one sided "NYC vs. Sunbelt". NYC does look weird on that poll without including all the other large metro areas because NYC is actually more expensive than all these areas. So, I wondered if your poll has to do with the cost of living, but NYC threw me off..
What's with people always saying that Chicago's winters are so much worse than New York's? It's a few degrees colder on average for winter months and even less for the summer.

But like I said before the choices here are strange and somewhat redundant, listing three cities all right by each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top