U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
I'm a gay 23 year old, recent college grad who has spent the last year working in finance in Providence RI. I was born and raised in Rhode Island but would like to venture out to a larger city to pursue grad school (MBA) advance my career and enjoy the social aspects of it. What cities should I consider. I love Providence and its liberal attitude and quirkiness, but its too small for me and too close to home (parents lol). I've also lived in Boston and London so know those scenes well. I would prefer a coastal city, well educated and liberal like the Northeast. Weather is not so much an issue but a good gay social/bar scene is. Would my best options be NYC, LA, Chicago, Ft Laud/Miami, SD, PacNW? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Ps. For those interested in moving to Providence, its a great town, and a place I would consider when I'm eventually looking to settle down.
I think you're on the right track. NYC, SF, Chicago, SE Fla, LA, are all good choices. If you're into staying in the Northeast, Philadelphia is a good place to look into also (Wharton School).

I love Providence, BTW. Surprisingly I think there's more gay nightlife there than in Boston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 05:21 PM

30,204 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Oh he has a partner too.
Sssshhhh...who says I can't juggle? LOL! Just kidding!

In any event I'm actually surprised by the number of LGBT individuals I've come across here in the Pocono area over the past few days. I helped two lesbian couples at work at Lowe's yesterday, and just today on our way out of Scranton we were passed on the freeway by a PT Cruiser with a rainbow flag waving on the antenna. I also just heard that Wilkes-Barre is having some sort of Gay Pride Fest this year at Kirby Park. Perhaps New York is taking us over sooner than I thought?! (One can only hope!)

Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,427,664 times
Hey, guys.

Instead of responding to the trolls, how about just using the Report Post function and ignoring the offending posts until the mods deal with them? It would save the mmods the work of deleting all the responses.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Sorry about that

Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM

3,668 posts, read 8,776,314 times
I have to say from personal experience that Atlanta is ideal for a young, 20-something gay male. Has a huge gay scene. Just stay inside Atlanta itself, and some of the more-affluent suburbs and you'll love it. I found Atlanta to be a great time.
Otherwise, I'd recommend NYC or LA. NYC can be very overwhelming and the gay scene is huge and spread out. Sure, Chelsea is the "headquarters" (LOL) of the gay scene, but it's all over Manhattan and the boros too.
LA's Silverlake and West Hollywood are loads of fun--but the "industry" tends to be overwhelming here. But it is an amazing experience.
As I type, I continue thinking of places. If you are looking for the coast, check out Miami too. Chicago for the midwest for sure. It's as good as Atlanta.
Bottomline: I'd pick Atlanta or Chicago at your age.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,942,363 times
If working in finance and going to B-School are important to you, they should be your determining criteria. Any major city these days will have a good gay social scene. Miami is great fun but it's not likely to do much for your education or career. NYC is the capital of finance and has great B-Schools but is very expensive. If Boston is too close to home you might consider Chicago or Philly, both of which have top-tier schools and a significant financial industry. Philly would be a good option. It's certainly the cheapest, it's a comparativly close to NYC and New England, has a lot of culture and a top-5 B-School.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,515,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What a terrific and informative link!! Thanks, LovinD.

OP, I would also recommend the Seattle area. On that link, #s19 and 20 are actually the same place, Vashon Island, a tiny island just a few minutes from downtown Seattle.

Western Washington in general is pretty relaxed, with bright people pretty much letting people live their lives in peace. It has, I believe, the most highly-educated population in the U.S. and also has a fairly high cost of living, depending on where and how you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or