U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,125 posts, read 4,104,739 times
Reputation: 492

Advertisements

I'm a gay 23 year old, recent college grad who has spent the last year working in finance in Providence RI. I was born and raised in Rhode Island but would like to venture out to a larger city to pursue grad school (MBA) advance my career and enjoy the social aspects of it. What cities should I consider. I love Providence and its liberal attitude and quirkiness, but its too small for me and too close to home (parents lol). I've also lived in Boston and London so know those scenes well. I would prefer a coastal city, well educated and liberal like the Northeast. Weather is not so much an issue but a good gay social/bar scene is. Would my best options be NYC, LA, Chicago, Ft Laud/Miami, SD, PacNW? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Ps. For those interested in moving to Providence, its a great town, and a place I would consider when I'm eventually looking to settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
I'm a gay 23 year old, recent college grad who has spent the last year working in finance in Providence RI. I was born and raised in Rhode Island but would like to venture out to a larger city to pursue grad school (MBA) advance my career and enjoy the social aspects of it. What cities should I consider. I love Providence and its liberal attitude and quirkiness, but its too small for me and too close to home (parents lol). I've also lived in Boston and London so know those scenes well. I would prefer a coastal city, well educated and liberal like the Northeast. Weather is not so much an issue but a good gay social/bar scene is. Would my best options be NYC, LA, Chicago, Ft Laud/Miami, SD, PacNW? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Ps. For those interested in moving to Providence, its a great town, and a place I would consider when I'm eventually looking to settle down.
There's of course San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,220 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Reputation: 15855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
There's of course San Francisco
...and the socially progressive and liberal oasis that is Omaha (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
...and the socially progressive and liberal oasis that is Omaha (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
Yep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
 
845 posts, read 2,481,848 times
Reputation: 519
I would say Seattle or Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 10,396,958 times
Reputation: 4228
I'd have to say San Francisco or Chicago. Chicago would be cheaper and is much larger. San Francisco is smaller but has some great scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Reputation: 15300
Here's the Top 101 list for communities with the highest % of male same-sex couples living together. A lot of the highest ranked are in the Atlanta area, including mine. I can tell you that DeKalb County, GA was ranked #4 in the US for same sex couples living together by the US census, which was a total surprise to me...until I started really looking around.

Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households) (population 5,000+)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,954,612 times
Reputation: 1788
Outside of Denver maybe? My gay sister in law (or do you have to say lesbian?) moved there recently and loves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post

And FYI i'm in a steady relationship, sorry ScranBarre . But I do love The Office lol
Oh he has a partner too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,125 posts, read 4,104,739 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Outside of Denver maybe? My gay sister in law (or do you have to say lesbian?) moved there recently and loves it!
been to boulder, liked it, but prefer the beach to the mountains. and to answer your question, both gay and lesbian work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top