U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 AM

24 posts, read 138,435 times

Advertisements

I am another migraine sufferer. Also currently looking to relocate and hoping to find the ideal place to help with these horrible headaches.
Much of the research I have done has suggested the ideal location is just about anywhere in southern California. Seems to have the ideal climate with little barometric fluxuation. That would be my first choice if I could go anywhere.

Anyone have any experience with the Orlando area? I know its hot and humid, but that does not seem to bother me. Its the drastic barometic changes that trigger my headaches. I would appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,196,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleone View Post
I am another migraine sufferer. Also currently looking to relocate and hoping to find the ideal place to help with these horrible headaches.
Much of the research I have done has suggested the ideal location is just about anywhere in southern California. Seems to have the ideal climate with little barometric fluxuation. That would be my first choice if I could go anywhere.

Anyone have any experience with the Orlando area? I know its hot and humid, but that does not seem to bother me. Its the drastic barometic changes that trigger my headaches. I would appreciate any help!
I know this thread is over a year old, but in case anyone else can benefit from my input, I'm dredging it up: we live in southern California and there is A LOT of barometric fluctuation. The area can go from extremely high pressure and high temps (think high of 102 degrees) to extremely low pressure and low temps (think low of 59) in the span of a day. This is frequently caused by the battling winds- sometimes hot and dry coming from the desert (these are Santa Ana winds) and then cool and moist coming from the ocean to the west. This is terrible for my husband's migraines and one of the reasons I found this thread. His headache (and I think our young son suffers from the same pattern) today has been terrible and all of a sudden he said "let's figure out where we can move that doesn't have all these pressure changes!". So if you're looking for stable barometric pressure, SoCal will not necessarily be your place. And it certainly won't if you're also looking for affordability .

If anyone else has suggestions as to cities with few or gradual air pressure changes, that would be wonderful. Thanks! p.s. I always want to go home to Dallas, so I wouldn't be sad if someone suggests that

Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 PM

657 posts, read 1,310,967 times
The American diet is NOTORIOUS for triggering migraines. I suffered for years and with the elimination of two ingredients my migraines have almost completely disappeared.

1) nutra-sweet aka aspartame. It's in all diet sodas. All "light" yogurts or "reduced calorie" juices. I don't have a reaction to splenda but aspartame is a trigger within 7 - 15 hours after ingesting it. If you're on a diet, avoid diet sodas, crystal light and instead drink water and real juice. Better to have real sugars in your diet in lesser quantities in order to reduce calories.

2) msg aka monosodium glutamate -- it's in Chinese food of course but also in many soups, bouillons, instant powdered sauces/gravies, flavored chips and snacks like doritos or bbq chips.

If you have a Trader Joe's near your house I recommend doing as much of your shopping there. No preservatives, no msg, no aspartame and the prices are still low. My health has improved since buying food from Trader Joe's, I've lost weight and my migraines are virtually gone.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:14 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,451,261 times
I think I can sum up this whole thread-- no matter where you are, if you get migraines bad, it probably wont help moving to a new location, people get bad migraines in all regions, dry,humid,rainy,sunny,dark, blah blah blah.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,196,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I think I can sum up this whole thread-- no matter where you are, if you get migraines bad, it probably wont help moving to a new location, people get bad migraines in all regions, dry,humid,rainy,sunny,dark, blah blah blah.
That's true- but if you've identified the cause of your particular migraine problem as being climate or pressure related, then moving to a new location may help you. Since the OP was looking for a place cool and dry to combat hers, I think it's a valid question. For us, not a lot of change in barometric pressure would be key (think low pressure most of the time). Any suggestions as to such a place seeing as we've already narrowed down the cause of the migraines?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,451,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
That's true- but if you've identified the cause of your particular migraine problem as being climate or pressure related, then moving to a new location may help you. Since the OP was looking for a place cool and dry to combat hers, I think it's a valid question. For us, not a lot of change in barometric pressure would be key (think low pressure most of the time). Any suggestions as to such a place seeing as we've already narrowed down the cause of the migraines?

maybe somewhere like Boise, i dont really know, but what I do know is that my girlfriend gets bad migraines(dont know the exact reason) but most of the time its caused by not eating properly and the sun.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:14 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
St. George, Utah seems to be pretty low on humidity. I imagine it's cooler than Texas.

Stress seems to relate to many of the people I know with migraines. My Dad use to get pretty bad ones, but rarely has since retirement. Not sure what to tell you to do there.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
You can use the "weather history" function at the weather underground site to bring up a graph for barometric pressure for a particular city.
Weather Station History : Weather Underground

Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
the desert is actually the worst for migraines. the the sun give headaches within 10 minutes and you will never get used to that no mater what you do. night is nice though its like after blasting off into space when you get the wightlessness. the dry air and associated preessuere you get used to and that is actually a bad thing because when a storm does come through you get a migraine every time. i would think seatle where it is always rainey and cloudy would be ideal. desert == halucination grade migraine.
I never had migraines in va, fl ( but others seemed to be getting them) or indiana. but here in tucson az, the migraines are on par with getting hit in the funny bone all day long 13 days a month in the winter and this start of this summer it seems like i get them 2 out of 3 days.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:09 AM

598 posts, read 1,520,967 times
Cities with poor environmental air quality also trigger them. I live in Philadelphia which has one of the worst cities for air quality and I started having them after moving here.

The Pollution and Migraine*Connection - Dr Weil's Daily Health Tips - Natural Health Information Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.