Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 45,174 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I just graduated college and currently live in Houston, Texas. I'm a teacher here (start next month) and was accepted to graduate school here. However, I have been getting migraine headaches for about a decade now, and they have really gotten worse in the last year or two. My neurologist has suggested moving somewhere with not as much heat or humidity, as those seem to be some of the triggers for my migraines. Because I have already signed a contract with my school, I cannot move until next summer, however I have deferred my acceptance to grad school in order to look elsewhere across the country and start in fall 2009.

A couple more things, I don't mind cold winters, but one thing is Texas has a very low COL, and I don't want too much of a money shock when I move. I figure with being right out of college, with a fiance (who is absolutely gungho to relocate), now is the perfect time to find a new place to live!

What would be some of the best places to look at?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,784,270 times
Well, the worst places to look would be Philadephia/NJ/NYC. The cost of living is very high here. Plus, although we are quite a bit north of you, our summers are stifling and humid. So you might was to start crossing areas off your map and do the process of elimination.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 PM

139 posts, read 449,389 times
I'm originally from Houston, and I travel quite a bit for my job, so here are some suggestions to start with. I've really enjoyed all of these places:

-Albuquerque
-Nashville, Chattanooga, or Knoxville, TN ( I'm a big fan of Chattanooga)
-Boise
-Richmond (humidity is relatively high, but the heat is more manageable)
-Most of Colorado has a much higher COL, but you might want to check out some of the mid-sized areas

Old 07-01-2008, 04:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,516,075 times
What about South Dakota (e.g. Sioux Falls), far enough north that you avoid long stretches of extreme heat, plus you get the cold aspect (without extreme of North Dakota or Alaska) and cost of living is decent.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM

909 posts, read 2,970,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russhey View Post
Hi!

I just graduated college and currently live in Houston, Texas. I'm a teacher here (start next month) and was accepted to graduate school here. However, I have been getting migraine headaches for about a decade now, and they have really gotten worse in the last year or two. My neurologist has suggested moving somewhere with not as much heat or humidity, as those seem to be some of the triggers for my migraines. Because I have already signed a contract with my school, I cannot move until next summer, however I have deferred my acceptance to grad school in order to look elsewhere across the country and start in fall 2009.

A couple more things, I don't mind cold winters, but one thing is Texas has a very low COL, and I don't want too much of a money shock when I move. I figure with being right out of college, with a fiance (who is absolutely gungho to relocate), now is the perfect time to find a new place to live!

What would be some of the best places to look at?

Thank you.

well you obviously dont need to move to the midwest. i would suggest the great plains, kansas, nebraska, south and north dakota. if you would like to live in a bigger city, you could try kansas city, wichita, omaha, souix falls as dave mentioned.

good luck finding your new place and hope you feel better

Old 07-01-2008, 04:40 PM

694 posts, read 2,643,966 times
I have found moderation in everthing is the best prevention for migraines.
With weather (for me) it was the rapid drying of the air such as Santa Annas
that was the worst. Obviously stress can be huge, but hard to advise on
such a personal tolerance subject. I have virtually eliminated my own
with thyroid medication.( who knew )

FYI: I believe Sterlings has a list for best/worst Migraines hotspots.

Good luck and health kiddo.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,328,178 times
Have you tried taking Imitrex for your migraines? My doctor prescribed imitrex for me and my headaches have been GREATLY reduced.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,705,322 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your migraines. I know from experience how horrible they can be.

Are your migraines related to allergies? For some people, being in areas with lots of pollen wreaks havoc on headaches. Maybe moving somewhere in a cooler, dry climate without as much vegetation would help? I'm thinking places like Salt Lake City, Denver, or Boise. Those are also places that are growing and need lots of teachers.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,975,437 times
russhey--I saw someone mentioned Albuquerque and it is a nice city with mild weather to live in and no humidity but the high elevation sun beating down on you and temps in the high 90's it can give you a headache too.

My girlfriend gets headaches often and usually its cause of the sun and trust me it is bright here.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,888,212 times
The driest climates will be best for solving migraines. The sun in the desert southwest can cause headaches, true, but heat without humidity beats heat with humidity. Albuqueque wouldn't be bad.

Also look at the northern desert cities...Salt Lake, perhaps? Colorado Springs (which is cheaper than Denver)? Or Boise would be good..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.