U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,768,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You are the first person I've seen post that would rather live where it gets to be cold over some Sunbelt state. There should be more people who share your views.

I also want to add San Francisco to my list because it is the only city in California that I could live in for a long time.
I'm not the only one. Stay on here long enough, and you'll see lots of us weirdo's.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,637,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
1. Northern Maine, because it's cold.
2. Upper Peninsula of Michigan, because it's cold.
3. Arrowhead of Minnesota, because it's cold.
4. Many places in Alaska, because it's cold.
Cannot function in heat. Now is hibernation time. Must go back to sleep now. See you in winter.
I agree, I would like to live in Fairbanks, AK, I think it would be cool

Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I'm not the only one. Stay on here long enough, and you'll see lots of us weirdo's.
hey I agree with you, I'm not a "weirdo"...well maybe I am.....

Old 07-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Status: "Come to Texas. We still have plastic straws!" (set 6 days ago)

47,095 posts, read 37,197,233 times
Default Count The Icicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I agree, I would like to live in Fairbanks, AK, I think it would be cool
And cool in that context would be an understatement.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
And cool in that context would be an understatement.
LOL, it wasn't meant as pun....... I really do think it would be awesome to live there, I like how they have pretty extreme weather, which is not a good thing to most people but to me it is

Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM

11,919 posts, read 33,006,915 times
jcm1986, you have picked some places that I love, too.

Oxford MS is an amazing little town. I've never eaten so much good food in my life as I did when I was in Oxford. Ole Miss is a gorgeous campus that attracts graduate students from all over the world who want to go there and study Southern literature and culture. Plus it's just over an hour from Memphis, another great place.

I think you're right on about Laramie, too. I've been there to some football games, and man it's a riot! Those cowboys know how to throw a party. I can't think of too many major college towns in the country with dirt roads in the middle of the city which is also pretty cool. I mean I can really respect the fact that people in Laramie don't really care how the rest of the world perceives them.

Of the big cities you mentioned, I really love Atlanta. It's the capital of the South, yet it's also a world-class city: world's busiest airport, more foreign consulates than any other city outside of NY, Chicago and L.A., home to the world's most recognized company (Coca-Cola), it's got great urban neighborhoods (by the way, it's called Virginia-Highland, not Virginia-Highlands) and a very reliable system of public transportation in the city.

I think Boston would be a great place to live, too. Oodles of universities, lots of really smart people, tons of history, beautiful architecture, great food, and tons to do.

I also like DC. A LOT.

If you can stand the heat, Miami could be a really fun and interesting place to spend some time.

I have also enjoyed spending time in Saint Louis, believe it or not.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 AM

15,469 posts, read 25,499,738 times
Miami or New Orleans. I want something different from CA and they both seem to have their own vibe and atmosphere going on. I love the beach and warm weather so Miami is a good choice but I also love the people an culture of NOLA.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,061,922 times
No giant cities for me. They're fun to visit, but a pain in the butt to live in. I did the Chicago thing for years...and I couldn't stand it. It's a great city, but it's also expensive, and an extremely high-stress place to live. Lots of traffic, lots of unhappy people, lots of workaholics, etc. Which is exactly why I probably wouldn't want to live in NYC/Philly/LA/Boston either.

I think I'd look at more mid-sized cities...they tend to be more relaxed and happy.

I wouldn't mind giving Denver a try. I would love the scenery, sunshine, and friendliness.
Or Austin, TX for it's eclectic, liberal vibe and great job market.
Or Pittsburgh, which seems like an amazingly cool and underrated city.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,480,302 times
in no particular order-

New York City-I would like to try this city out, I would like to live in a place where I can walk to get whatever I want, and plus its NYC so you want it you got it there.
I wouldnt want to live long term there though.

Amarillo,TX- I grew up 1 1/2 hours from there in E.New Mexico and I think its the perfect sized city to live in.I'm use to the plains anyways.Its a great city to raise kids and make a life.

Las Cruces,New Mexico- perfect weather,Univ.town, pop.just over 80,000, a good fit, with mountains,palm trees and desert surroundings and only 45 minutes away from El Paso,TX and Juarez Mexico for any big city shopping.

Mississippi-- It really is a nice state and I would prefer a small town here but I would hate the humidity.

Los Angeles area- I've always loved this city and the weather I just think the traffic and all those cramped roads would get to me after a while.

Columbia,SC or Nashville,TN-- just towns that seem interesting to me, I think I would like it there.

There are some other cities I wouldnt mind trying like somewhere in the mountains in Colorado or maybe Boston but I hate icy roads,grey gloomey days and too much snow to where its just causes trouble and I dont like to wear long sleeves or heavy jackets. Our winters here are just right, not too much snow and it dosent stick around for long and the cold days usually have the sun shining bright so its not all that bad, but I do like some cold gloomy days though and we sure do have those. I like a mild mix of all 4 seasons and that is what I have here in Albuquerque.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:08 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,765,399 times
If money were no object: NYC, coastal California or Palm Springs, Boulder, Vancouver BC, Hawaii
Within the realm of affordability: Denver, Portland, Asheville, maybe Charleston SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or