Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,747,743 times

Advertisements

Asheville, NC is definitly the bohemian capital of my region. If you've never been, its a really very fun place to visit...

Asheville, NC

YouTube - Asheville, NC Drum Circle Apr 17 2009

YouTube - Asheville Street Entertainment on Haywood Street - Dancing, Singing, Music

YouTube - Downtown Asheville Band Plays Music, Dances, and Entertains All!

YouTube - Asheville

The Mayor of Asheville, Terry M. Bellamy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The problem with Greenwich Village is that it costs around $2,500/month there, meaning it'll be around $30,000/year on RENT alone. To have an extra $30,000/year to throw away on rent a year, means you have to be VERY VERY VERY wealthy.

So by default, people who want to just 'hangout' and try alternative lifestyles and such, won't be able to afford that rent. Instead, while Greenwhich Village IS pretty cool, it's mostly a place where people with A LOT of money who want to enjoy the benefits of this type of scene, can live there.

Any true true true bohemian spirits without tons of extra money freely available for the rent, is gonna have to fly their bohemian spirit elsewhere to more affordable pastures, sadly.

The rule in NY is that your income should be 40 times the rent, so a rent of 2500 should amount to around 100k a year in income. That isn't rich to me. If that's rich, then my fiance and I are wealthy, which we aren't, lol.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times
wow I'm from eastern NC and had no idea asheville was like that......or that there were black people there (let alone the mayor)

definitely not the stereotype east nc has of west nc

Last edited by macjr82; 05-31-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
its clearly brattleboro , vt

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
wow I'm from eastern NC and had no idea asheville was like that......or that there were black people there (let alone the mayor)

definitely not the stereotype east nc has of west nc
Yeah, Asheville can be a very surprising place for people who aren't familiar with it. IMO its the most unique city in the Carolinas, with its quirky citizens, art deco architecture, funky resturants and bars; plus the unique back drop of the mountain terrian. Very cool.

As for their mayor, Asheville has a fairly small black population. But as you can probably guess, its a very liberal area; as was evidenced by the recent presidential election that saw Obama win that area handidly.

Asheville Goombay African Festival

An Asheville cafe

Art Deco Buildings

Obama in Asheville

Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
its clearly brattleboro , vt
Are you saying Asheville is like Brattleboro, VT?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 AM

25 posts, read 53,250 times
New York City is not bohemian. It is pretty much a yuppie and hipster mecca now in addition to having alot of ghetto

Cities that come to mind as bohemian are

Ashland Or
Santa Cruz
New Paltz
Venice Beach

Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,425,983 times
The one with the most people from Bohemia, obviously.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
In percentage terms that'd be either West, Texas or Wilber, Nebraska. Someone mentioned Chicago which at one time did have the third largest Czech (Bohemian) population in the world.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,994 times
Default Dead Culture

Victorian Punk is correct about Williamsburg. I live in Astoria, Queens and I can attest to the fact that the Brooklyn/Lower East Side scene is based on image with no real musical excitement going on. I used to live in Austin and I moved to New York because I was attracted to the anonymity of walking through the streets of Manhattan. A friend invited me to Williamsburg one night and I felt like I was right back in Austin. Both cities have an emphasis on fashion over function in their art and music scenes.

Here's the problem though, Victorian Punk. The scene that you crave has been infiltrated by consumerism to extent that the music and art scenes of yesteryear (I remember people renting 4 bedroom apts in Austin for $400/month) seem to be gone. I don't think moving to a different "hip" city is going to do anything anymore (I tried Asheville, NC for a while too). The scene needs to be reborn before it can exist anywhere. There needs to be a scene not based on iPods and Urban Outfitters or any other consumer phenomenon. It needs to be reinvented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City