U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So where do you buy Groceries?
Krogers 20 12.20%
Safeway 16 9.76%
Wal-Mart 20 12.20%
Aldi's 4 2.44%
Target 4 2.44%
Meijers 6 3.66%
Kmart 0 0%
any organic food store 18 10.98%
any foreign Market store 1 0.61%
other 75 45.73%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,586,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Aldi is basically the grocery store in Europe and is only recently (past decade or so) breaking into the US market, I'm going to assume you don't get out of your neighborhood too often.

Aldis have been in Kansas and Illinois for over 25 years. They are the worst grocery stores-expired food, beat up old boxes..food I wouldn't feed to a dog. In both states, when I passed the Aldis, it was the very poor who were entering/exiting.
In 1989, the Aldis in Manhattan KS was offering its Gen Manager job at 40K starting salary (which was a lot then) because they could not find anyone responsible to run the place for more than a month.

That said, I had heard that Aldis in Germany were the polar opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,467,362 times
Texans shop at H-E-B and Brookshire Brothers, and most other southerners probably shop at Kroger's, Food Lion, or Piggly Wiggly.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,273,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Aldis have been in Kansas and Illinois for over 25 years. They are the worst grocery stores-expired food, beat up old boxes..food I wouldn't feed to a dog. In both states, when I passed the Aldis, it was the very poor who were entering/exiting.
In 1989, the Aldis in Manhattan KS was offering its Gen Manager job at 40K starting salary (which was a lot then) because they could not find anyone responsible to run the place for more than a month.

There are a few Aldi's around the Indianapolis and Western Indiana area.

I think their food is "okay" I will go their if I need to but if I have an option of going somewhere else then I will go there.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
albertsons went out of business here... it was the best store, more items, better departments, 24/7, ppl don't want quality!!! gimme a damn piggly wiggly and walmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Texans shop at H-E-B and Brookshire Brothers, and most other southerners probably shop at Kroger's, Food Lion, or Piggly Wiggly.
I don't think Piggly Wiggly's even outside of Memphis anymore. That place is like taking a step back in time. All the employees, including the baggers, still wear black slacks and ties with white button-up shirts.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I don't think Piggly Wiggly's even outside of Memphis anymore. That place is like taking a step back in time. All the employees, including the baggers, still wear black slacks and ties with white button-up shirts.
That's not correct. Piggly Wigglys can still be found all over the southeast (including East Texas. I've heard there's one somewhere up there). And it doesn't matter how old fashioned the chain is. If they have what I'm looking for, I will shop there.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:00 PM

4,894 posts, read 7,655,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post

Aldi's must vary greatly from place to place. My aunt has worked there for over 15 years, in the Canton Ohio area, so I may be biased. My mom has shopped there in the past when I was a kid, and the food was always fine. Sure, it's not high-end, but not everyone needs that. Some people just need food they can afford. They don't need ceramic tile floors or 75 varieties of mustard. (Incidentally, the best store-bought chocolate chip cookies I've ever had were from the Canton Aldi's.)

Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,586,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Aldi's must vary greatly from place to place.
Thats true of all grocery stores. I've lived in 6 states. Safeway varies like crazy! Vons (CA Safeways) is nice, a B; Dominicks and Guenardis (Safeway in IL and Philly)-very nice , A. Safeway in Northern VA, OMG, pretty crappy with the same high price C-D

Old 04-15-2009, 04:25 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
That's not correct. Piggly Wigglys can still be found all over the southeast (including East Texas. I've heard there's one somewhere up there). And it doesn't matter how old fashioned the chain is. If they have what I'm looking for, I will shop there.
I couldn't tell you where a Piggly-Wiggly is around here. Since Super Walmart has arrived on the scene, Piggly-Wigglys, IGA, etc. have faded into oblivion. We have Brookshires, Kroger, and Albertson in Shreveport Bossier and near Monroe are some local stores called Mac's Fresh Market. Brookshires also has a warehouse style store called SuperOne in our local cities; Ruston and Monroe as well. Also there is Kayes in some other smaller towns. I haven't heard of most of these stores the posters are talking about, but I am familiar with Randall's and HEB Pantry (sil lives in Galveston)

Old 04-15-2009, 05:08 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,809,706 times
The oringnal Minyard's now pronounce Minyard.Built in 1932.website Minyard Food Stores - grand

http://www.minyards.com/public/img/uway_news_pic.jpg (broken link)

Super Safeway on Belknap At Beach
http://www.fortworthyesterday.com/Safeway-Belknap-83.jpg (broken link)
Safeway store at Belknap and Beach St. in 1983. Safeway pulled out of Texas
around 1986 and this site became a Minyard.
Photo by John Cirillo.

http://www.fortworthyesterday.com/Minyard-Belknap-2007.jpg (broken link)
This is the same location, June 6, 2007, taken by John Cirillo.
There are no cars because the store is closed. In March of 2007, a bad tornado
came through here and tore off a good portion of the roof.
I don't know when or if this store will reopen.

Former Safeway Later Minyard Now Food-rite.This store was built in the 1960s.Sorry old picture.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I couldn't tell you where a Piggly-Wiggly is around here. Since Super Walmart has arrived on the scene, Piggly-Wigglys, IGA, etc. have faded into oblivion. We have Brookshires, Kroger, and Albertson in Shreveport Bossier and near Monroe are some local stores called Mac's Fresh Market. Brookshires also has a warehouse style store called SuperOne in our local cities; Ruston and Monroe as well. Also there is Kayes in some other smaller towns. I haven't heard of most of these stores the posters are talking about, but I am familiar with Randall's and HEB Pantry (sil lives in Galveston)
Well I never said Piggly Wiggly was still at the forefront of grocers, I was just letting the other poster know that PW was still around and that people still shop there. My grandmother used to shop there until they built a Kroger's by her house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.